Plod View on Biking Safety Gear. - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Been chatting with mates about biking safety gear recently.

I thought someone who'd seen a few real crashes might have a view on what saves life and limb in the real world and what's just gimmick.

Any of the ex-rozzers/seasoned bike crashers on the site care to offer their experienced view on what safety gear really helps bikers in the event of a crash?

Does helmet quality prevent injury in the real world?
Back protectors?
Other body armour.

Is there any safety gear that is really a danger. (Ill fitting armour looks lethal to me...)

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
Plod View on Biking Safety Gear. - BrianW
A full-face helmit is a must, otherwise if you come off forwards you need a chin reconstruction.
Decent, preferably leather, gloves will stop your hands being chewed up as you slide down the road.
Helmets are all of similar quality, if you get hit hard enough to damage one severely you've probably got a broken neck anyway.
Other clothing needs to be tough enough to put up with scraping down the road at X miles per hour.
Everything else depends on which direction you get hit from.
The bike design will also determine the extent of injury, e.g. a fairing on a bike or panels on a scooter will absorb some energy before metal meets meat.
HTH
Cheers BrianW. I took it for granted that leathers [1] and a full face helmet [1] were a minimum starting point.
Helmets are all of similar quality, if you get hit hard
enough to damage one severely you've probably got a broken neck
anyway.

Glad someone else thinks this. I'm sick of people telling me I need to spend more on a helmet without having a clue how much safer one is than the other. As long as a helmet's smooth [2] and Class A & ACU approved I can't see how a 900 quid helmet is better than a 40 quid helmet.

[1] Of any quality.
[2] Wingnut effect.

--
Parp, Parp!
fwiw - Mark (RLBS)
I don't know how it works now, but when I was riding bikes then the best helmets were the ACU approved stuff where you could have the moulding especially fitted for your head.

Apparantly the danger is that a standard helmet can fit unevenly so that if you take a bang then the force is not distributed across the whole helmet innards with a resulting mess to your head.

Clearly the helmet needs to fit properly since one which is too small keeps your head under pressure and one which is too large lets your head rattle.

Assuming that the helmet is approved at the right levels, then it seems that the fit is the most important thing.

I had a head-on with my bike at 60mph ish and an oncoming artic at a similar speed (closing speed 100 - 120 mph). My helmet, my gloves, my boots (especially the foot) and my jacket in the small of my back were wrecked. Mostly, at least in those areas, my body was not.

However, my neck was broken - in two places. I survived because I was wearing a leather jacket with a large collar and a belstaff waterproof over the top. The Belstaff had a buckle-up neck which forced the collar of my jacket against the helmet. It made it difficult to turn my head at the best of times. However, that pressure and support prevented my neck moving and damaging the spinal column even after the bones were broken.

So I would think some kind of neck protection/bracing would be very high on the list. Especially something to stop your head being forced backwards.

Most of the other injuries I had were at the joins between protection - between gloves/sleeves, between jacket/trousers, top of boots.

A huge amount of damage to my wrists suggesting that gloves which couldn't get pushed down would be good.

In many cases broken bones - fingers, legs etc. were not as bad as they could have been because the clothing went a long way to protecting me from sharp edge damage, and most of the damage was impact damage, as well as containing the bones in more or less the right place. So I'd say the leathers fitting properly was also important.

Messed up my shoulders as well, but I dunno what you'd wear to stop that. My jacket was, I thought, pretty well padded there.

But, like I say, for obvious reasons I went off bikes a bit and don't ride them so much these days.

fwiw - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Alwasy wondered about neck protectors. Remember for rugby days that your chin effectively prevents your chin getting damaged with your head tiltiing too far forwards.

Amazed that neck protectors aren't more readily available. Not even sure if the racer wear em.

Yet further confirmation of my helmet theories. Fit is everything.

--
Parp, Parp!
fwiw - Ian (Cape Town)
BELL used to make infaltable helmets - ie, with an airpump and a bladder inside, which made for a 'perfect fit' - they used the technology from Reebok shoes, IIRC.
I don't know if these are still available (The hard hats, not trainers!)
Plod View on Biking Safety Gear. - Tom Shaw
Full face helmets have there own dangers. They are difficult to remove without causing further injury to a crash victim, and cause problems should the person have swallowed his tongue or need the kiss of life. I wear a full face myself, but I would never wear one without a lift-up chinguard. Handy when you want a quick drag or a cuppa, too.
Plod View on Biking Safety Gear. - Mark (RLBS)
I've wondered..

Those lids with the flip up chinguard, isn't there a risk of it getting pushed up in an accident ? And are they as strong against impacts or against getting run along the tarmac ?
Mark,

They seem to lock fairly securly, and mine comes with an ACU gold sticker, so I would presume they have survived some rigorous testing. They are popular with a lot of police forces too, and the DSA issue them to their motorcycle examiners so I reckon they have been deemed fairly safe.
Plod View on Biking Safety Gear. - Thommo
It is probably true that if a helment is A/Gold standard then it is as safe as any other A/Gold standard helmet BUT your head can be in the thing for hours on end so comfort must be important for concentration purposes if nothing else. Therefore there is only one name ARAI. Does not have to be expensive either BMF rally in May usually has last years models in leery colours for little money. Best bet is a 'custom' design helmet for a racer who had a c*** season.
Full face helmets ar e amust IMHO. The only person I know to have come off landed face first smashing the front of his lid. He literally wouldn't have a face now if it wasn't for the protection of the full face.

The 'are you more aware and therefore less likely to crash without a helmet/full face' argument I will leave for others.
Therefore there is only one name ARAI.

Not everyone has an ARAI shaped head! Two mates who use Shoei's can't get ARAI's to fit.

And Shumaker doesn't wear and ARAI.

--
Parp, Parp!
Plod View on Biking Safety Gear. - Daedalus
I'm not going to tempt fate on this one, but I know that jeans provide no protection for knees or hips. Belstaff jackets provide no protection for elbows, shoulders, shoulder blades or right hand collar bones. Simpson race helmets (illegal in 1985 but cost £250 in the USA) provide excellent head protection.

I now use Daytona boots with ankle and shin protection and protection for other bits I can't name but know I need to use, leather jeans with armour in the various bits, a Goretex type jacket with armour in all the usual places and an Arai lid that cost the thick end of £370 four years ago and after almost 40,000 miles I think needs to be renewed. All topped off with the best Gortex gloves I could get hold of, pardon the pun.

£10 head £10 helmet!

I tried Shoei lids and couldn't get my glasses on once the lid was on, AGVs sort of perched on my bonce and my old Simpson bless it, battered and never to be worn in anger again feels like a pudding basin now for some reason. Buy the lid that fits best and if you can afford more and still get a good fit go for it.

Bill
Plod View on Biking Safety Gear. - bogush
Is there any safety gear that is really a danger.

I recall reading a lot off stuff a decade or two ago about the fact that a helmet usually "protected" your head from sliding along the road rather than impact in most real life accidents.

But that "hard" helmets melted and stuck causing your brain to spin in your skull and so killed you.

Apparently there was research being done into something like polystyrene (ie on the outside!) helmets which wouldn't do this.

Anyone remember/know what happened to all that?

Or are modern hard helmets different to the old polycarbonate and fibreglass ones?
Or are modern hard helmets different to the old polycarbonate and
fibreglass ones?

Helmets are still Poly or Fibreglass.

Again nobody's ever explained the difference between the poly and the fibreglass. Assuming they're both ACU and Type A approved I can't see the difference.
£10 helmet for a £10 head.

Everyone says it but nobody ever *explains* why a £10 helmet is worse than a £10 head.

Your ARAI is a classic example. I was shopping around for helmets 6 weeks ago. If you've got the model of ARAI I'm thinking off it share the same shell as the cheaper ARAI models. All the benifits are non safety related. (I might be thinking of Shoei now I think about it but the point holds true.)

--
Parp, Parp!
Plod View on Biking Safety Gear. - J Bonington Jagworth
WRT helmet materials, I remember a long debate about the relative merits of glassfibre and polycarbonate years ago when the latter started to appear. I believed that GRP was superior because it absorbed some of the shock (destroying itself in the process) but the opposing view was that the liner did that while the shell should be as strong as possible. I think polycarbonate is still the usual material - don't know if GRP is still used.

I suspect that the diffences in protection from different brands/prices of helmet are trivial (as long as they fit well) compared to the protection or lack of it elsewhere. I regularly see riders here (Isle of Wight) in the summer wearing an expensive replica helmet together with trainers, shorts and a T-shirt!
WRT helmet materials, I remember a long debate about the relative
merits of glassfibre and polycarbonate years ago when the latter started
to appear. I believed that GRP was superior because it absorbed
some of the shock (destroying itself in the process) but the
opposing view was that the liner did that while the shell
should be as strong as possible. I think polycarbonate is still
the usual material - don't know if GRP is still used.

GRP is in use and considered better by almost everyone. *However* I *understand* polycarbonate is much more hardwearing and absorbs the little knocks getting it in and out of the cupboard better than fibreglass.

So my view is that GRP is better but I suspect this may change after a few months of being knocked around in every day use. Nobody has ever been able to confirm this for me though...
I suspect that the diffences in protection from different brands/prices of
helmet are trivial (as long as they fit well) compared to
the protection or lack of it elsewhere.

I agree, neck for instance. All a helmet has to do is be able to take a blow beyond that you neck can take.

I *think* that better helmets have other advantages. (Removable linings, noise protection)

I'd love a definitive answer to this question.

Eg: Shoei wearers have an x% better chance of surviving an impact of x weight at x speed. A long search of the web hasn't revealed an answer so I suspect there isn't a good one.

--
Parp, Parp!
Plod View on Biking Safety Gear. - bogush
Eg: Shoei wearers have an x% better chance of surviving
an impact of x weight at x speed. A long search of
the web hasn't revealed an answer so I suspect
there isn't a good one.

Surely someone somewhere should be recording the details of what helmets were worn by casualties, or at least of fatalities.
Plod View on Biking Safety Gear. - Vin {P}
I will start by saying that I am not an expert, but I recall various articles about helmets over the years. The consensus seemed to be that what you get for your money is the stuff inside the shell. So, when I bought a helmet in India for £2, I wasn't surprised to find it lined with bits of polystyrene ceiling tiles. Equally, when I went from cheap FM helmet to Bell helmet, the fit went from awful to excellent.

As one of the jobs of a helmet is to turn impacts on the outside into gentler decelerations for your noggin, I would suspect that well-fitting linings are going to do the job, as they *should* absorb more of the energy. I seem to recall that the tests seemd to end up with the advice to get the one that feels the tightest over the whole head without undue pressure.

As for Polycarb vs Fibreglass, the argument is that polycarb relies on its entire structure for its strength, whereas fibreglass' strength is inherent in the material (could be drivel for all I know). The result of this is that a previously damaged polycarb helmet (drops, solvents, glue from stickers, etc) will suffer a major drop in protective ability.

Also, incidentally, changing the gloss finish on a helmet to matt greatly increases the risk of a broken neck in the event of an accident, as the helmet doesn't slide as well over the tarmac, grabs and gives your neck a good twisting.

As for clothing, I saw an article in a US magazine about fifteen years ago. They performed an experiment where they made large bags out of various materials, denim, leather, etc. Then they filled the bag with sand, tied the bag to the back of an estate car with a few feet of rope, drove down a runway at 50mph, then heaved the thing out of the back door at a chosen point. After the run they went back and saw how far the bag was dragged before sand started to leak (i.e. the point at which skin would have started to touch tarmac).

The results? IIRC, the leather sack lasted 50yds or so, while the denim managed a magnificant six feet. Scared me off wearing denim, I can tell you.

V
Plod View on Biking Safety Gear. - SjB {P}
Currently working in Gothenburg, & reading this thread quickly during lunch, I can't see any mention of 'Ride' magazine.

Although like any other magazine, they have a business to run, and profit to make, I find their product tests to be very scientific, and the awarded 'Ride best buy' and 'Ride recommended' tags that normally end up attached to the relevant kit, a good guide at buying time.

In haste,
/Steve
Currently working in Gothenburg, & reading this thread quickly during lunch,
I can't see any mention of 'Ride' magazine.
Although like any other magazine, they have a business to run,
and profit to make, I find their product tests to be
very scientific, and the awarded 'Ride best buy' and 'Ride recommended'
tags that normally end up attached to the relevant kit, a
good guide at buying time.

I find the ride tests *excellent*. (The back protectors blurb was brilliant) But AFAIK they don't test helmets for safety which is the only factor I'm interested in.

--
Parp, Parp!
The lack of protection afforded by denim is quite frightening, as Vin says. I used to be a bit hit and miss as to whether I bothered with leathers up to a few years ago. If it was hot I just rode in a pair of jeans. My mind was changed when I was out walking the dog one night and managed to get entangled in the lead and fall over. The knee of my jeans suffered a six inch tear, and the flesh underneath was a b***** mess which took ages to heal. I remember thinking that if a simple fall can do that much damage, what would happen after sliding off the bike doesn't bear thinking about. If it came to a choice I would rather go without a helmet than leathers, your head won't always hit tarmac but the rest of you will.