99 1.1 - battery replaced, now won't start - Lotus mad
Hi, have a starting problem with a Peugeot 106. It's a '99 1.1 petrol. The battery was flat, so i removed it last night and charged it overnight, put it back on the car this morning ready to take it for MOT, and the thing now won't start. It spins over merrily but won't fire at all. Sounds like some sort of immobiliser problem, and i believe from the handbook it has a chipped key immobiliser. However, the manual also says that if the battery is removed and replaced, switch on the ignition, wait 10 seconds and then start it, and failing that 'contact your Peugeot dealer'. Hmm.....helpful huh! So, any bright ideas or suggestions gratefully received. Car belongs to my partners son and he's just turned 17 so is chomping at the bit to get out in it, and also has zero money for main dealer repairs/diagnosis. I haven't heard the car run, but he tells me it was fine before (while giving me that 'why have you broken my car' look!) Interestingly, the radio/interior light circuit are also dead, but fuses are fine. He fitted a new stereo to it, but again said it was working fine before i took the battery off and recharged it.
Any help gratefully received!!
Thanks....Jon

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/11/2008 at 10:21

Peugeot dealer says it's unlikely to be the immobilser, if the fuel pump primes when the ignition is switched on (which it does) then the immobiliser is disarmed. He's suggested a double relay under the ECU and to check for a spark, so i'll do that next. Any more thoughts still welcome though!!
99 1.1 - battery replaced, now won't start - Peter D
Disconnect the battery for ten minutes and make a 'clean' reconnection turn of as they say for 10 seconds, you will hear the pump prime and then shut down, then try to start her up. The immobilser does not effect the prime cycle but if it does not see the key properly then the pump will not run when cranking and there is no spark. Check you have not disturbed the crank sensor at the front of the engine/flyweel casing. Check for a spark. Check fuse F4 and F4 Strange the interior ligh and radio have failed. Regards Peter
Have just noticed in the handbook that fuse F8 supplies radio, clock, courtesy light AND engine immobiliser. Radio and courtesy light are not working so could it be this fuse? Will go and check at lunchtime... It hasn't been run since he fitted a new stereo so he could have blown the fuse during the install, and if it feeds the immobiliser too, this could explain the non-starting.....fingers crossed....
Woo Hoo! Fuse F8 was blown, replaced it and, hey presto, she burst into life! I guess a wire must have shorted during the new stereo install and therefore also rendered the immobiliser inoperative. A nice simple happy ending....
99 1.1 - battery replaced, now won't start - Peter D
Sorry for the typo I posted check F4 and F4' that should have been 'F4 and F8'. Remove the radio and find the short as the radio may have trapped a wire on re-installation and is now bare and could shut the car down again.

Edited by Peter D on 06/11/2008 at 15:21

99 1.1 - battery replaced, now won't start - bathtub tom
>>he's just turned 17 . He fitted a new stereo to it, but again said it was working fine before i took the battery off and recharged it.

Teenagers! Don't you love them!
99 1.1 - battery replaced, now won't start - gordonbennet
Teenagers! Don't you love them!

No, they are a royal PITA, unlike us of course who were perfect..;)