03 3.0 Changing runflats - jim10jam
I've recently got a 3.0i Z4 53 plate, very nice it is too, although not the best weather for it! Anyway in the not too distant future I'll have to put new front tyres on. They have runflats alround - can I replace with non-runflats? and carry some tyreweld and compressor? my thinking is better ride and cheaper....(the wheels are the 5-star design 18" I think). Cheers.
03 3.0 Changing runflats - Paul G1pdc
I get an engineering mag sent to me with my job. and there was an article a few years ago now, when run flats first started being fitted, and it mentioned that the suspension is tuned/designed for run flats and not standard tyres,
run flats have a harder side wall, in most cases allowing the car to be driven at up to 50mph in its semi-flat state, if you swtiched to standard tyres costing about 1/3rd less the sidewalls of the tyres would be softer therefore up setting your standard suspension settings...ok it would in real terms mean that the car would have a softer ride...and poorer (to an extent) handing...is that what you want from your sports car?
also tyre weld is err to be polite pretty poor, and if you split a tyre won't work. its best just to take a deep inhail of air and open the cheque book....look on sites like "blackcircles.com" and go from there.
(my sister has a mini without a spare wheel, and friends have a Rav4 with run flats...)
my 8 year old volvo has spare....hmm how old fashion,,,but I love it....
paul.
03 3.0 Changing runflats - Paul G1pdc
oh, just one other thought, you might well have to inform your insurance company,
as you have "modified" the car.
yep sounds silly hu. but if you change a standard cd player for a halfords one costing half the amount the car manufacturer would charge for a replacement its still a modifcation aways from standard fitment.
and the insurance company might consider a car fitted with softer tyres than that it was designed for a safety issue, that might well have had an input in any accident that might occur....
paul