BMW C1 scooter? - Harmattan
Does anyone have first hand or good secondhand experience of the BMW C1 scooter? I have read many of the motorcycle press reviews but am asking the question here because the C1 is aimed at car drivers looking for occasional cheaper and parkable transport, and therefore the opinion might be different from that of a two wheel diehard.

The C1 looks like being phased out next year but meantime it is available on ultra-low interest rates which makes its comfort & safety -oriented package look interesting to someone whose last 'bike was an umpteenth hand Triumph Trials Cub. I want to find out if it is really more difficult to ride than a normal scooter which might rule out it being used by all the family as a short trip runabout that can be kept in the garden shed. Please no arguments about a secondhand Matiz for the same money, sometimes a man's got to do what a man's got to do.

David
BMW C1 scooter? - Thommo
David,

I test drove one, it is extremely top heavy and I felt unstable in corners and when I hit large potholes. I can not see that the canopy is anything more than a gimmic really. If it was my money I would buy a 'normal' scooter and spend the change on some good waterproofs. I always liked the Aprilia 125 but if I was laying my money down I would always go for Honda build quality.

Hope that helps.
BMW C1 scooter? - BrianW
All of our bikes and scooters are Honda.
The FS125 Pantheon scooter has a good performance, is automatic, has a full size screen, god protection by the fairing and reasonable underseat storage.
Ours has dome 6,000 miles with minimal service and repair costs.
HTH
BMW C1 scooter? - BrianW
God is good (naturally)
BMW C1 scooter? - Mark (RLBS)
& the dome is done ? No surprise there.
BMW C1 scooter? - johncyprus
I was interested in a C1 because of it's safety ( apparently it's as safe as a small hatchback in a frontal impact ) however was told that it's an engine out job for a service so lost interest. John
BMW C1 scooter? - Toad, of Toad Hall.
I was interested in a C1 because of it's safety (
apparently it's as safe as a small hatchback in a frontal
impact )

Hmmm. Do they back that up in any way. I'd have thought being thrown clear is your best hope of safety in a bike crash. Bouncing around in a steel bubble seems a bit painful...

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
BMW C1 scooter? - Tom Shaw
On the C1 you are actually strapped in with a harness. As far as I know, Britain is the only country in Europe where you must wear a helmet while driving one of these. Everywhere else it is accepted that the design of these vehicles make helmet wearing as unnescessary as it is in a car.
BMW C1 scooter? - BrianW
"Everywhere else it is accepted that the design of these vehicles make helmet wearing as unnescessary as it is in a car. "

Might not be true if you look at the number of deaths from head injuries in car accidents!

I wonder if the wearing of a helmet in a road car is frowned upon or would be praised as an additional safety measure?
Helmets in Road Cars - bogush
I wonder if the wearing of a helmet in a road car is frowned upon or would be praised as an additional safety measure?

Wasn't there a thread on this (illegal due to vision restriction!)?
Helmets in Road Cars - Tom Shaw
I don't think there is any law against wearing a helmet (or any other type of clothing) in a car, Bogush. Rally drivers wear open face helmts which don't interfere with the drivers vision at all.

Wouldn't fancy the idea myself, tho'.
as unnescessary as it is in a
car.

I'm amazed helmets haven't be compulsory for years. Thousands would still be alive.

Racing drivers with 4 point harnesses and roll cages *still* wear helmets.

QED.

--
Parp, Parp!
Why do helmets in cars need to be made compulsory, Toad? If you or anyone else wants to wear one there is nothing stopping you. Can't wait for Nanny Blair to do everything you know, he is a busy man.
Why do helmets in cars need to be made compulsory, Toad?
If you or anyone else wants to wear one there is
nothing stopping you. Can't wait for Nanny Blair to do everything
you know, he is a busy man.

*b****** I can't fault that logic.

Crazy that I really believe there is a mssive safety advantage of wearing a helmet yet I'd risk death and injury to avoid looking different to other road users.

--
Parp, Parp!
BMW C1 scooter? - BrianW
Helmets in cars would undoubtedly save many lives but would be unpopular with the masses.
The Government doesn't mind how much damage it inflicts on minority groups such a gun owners, small businesses, field sports enthusiasts, etc. but upsetting the masses and losing votes is a no-no.
Worth having a look at Benelli's version of the covered scooter. From press reports it is said to be more stable than the C1, and quite a bit cheaper as well.
BMW C1 scooter? - graham sherlock
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm sure I read that BM are dropping the scoot from the line up.. (Ride or Bike mag)
BMW C1 scooter? - hallrob1
I've never ridden one but most of the scooter press describe them as top heavy which would make them unstable in traffic and they are also very expensive. There is a guy who is currently riding one without a helmet (as you can do on mainland europe) and the police didn't know if it was legal or not. I believe he has just been summonsed under an obscure act and is awaiting the outcome. Another problem with these is that any pillion sits outside the "bubble" - even more exposed than on a normal bike or scooter.
BMW C1 scooter? - Obsolete
The Benalli offers slightly better protection from the elements but does not incorporate a roll cage so is not safer than a normal scooter.

Presumably the C1 can nip between slow moving cars on the motorways as per a normal bike? And no need to wear hot leathers in summer. Just wear normal clothes. Seems a good idea for commuting to and from work.
BMW C1 scooter? - Harmattan
Thanks guys, particularly Thommo, for these insights. It does seem the safety concept is sound for nervous returning riders such as myself but the resulting package has flaws for those it is aimed at. Is engine out for a service really so tricky or expensive on a scooter? I am still attracted by the presence of the safety cage and the ABS option but it may not be the scooter for inexperienced occasional use by all. Perhaps I'll wait for the close-out sale.

David
BMW C1 scooter? - Sigh
For loads of information about the C1 from real owners - check out www.c1forum.co.uk
BMW C1 scooter? - THe Growler
The fact they're being dropped from production ought to answer all the questions. The handling is known to be diabolical if not downright dangerous.

This thing always makes me think of how three wheelers used to appeal to bikers who wanted the weatherproof-ness of a car but something which reminded them of a bike. The C5 was kind of the reverse: aimed at cagers who'd seen how handy two wheels could be but couldn't bear to get wet. It is meeting the same fate.

They tried importing the wretched thing here, but it bombed, largely because of the fact that many fast-food joints fit fiberglass canopies to their delivery bikes and well, need I say more.

To any self-respecting motorcyclist -- truly an a****tion.

Change is inevitable. Progress is optional.
BMW C1 scooter? - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Conservatories are made to sit in, not ride around on two wheels.
BMW C1 scooter? - THe Growler
Quite.