8 speed gear box. Enough? Audi A4 - henry k
I have been enjoying a few weeks in the sun.
I got a free upgrade from a Passat / Accord / Volvo to an Audi A4 TFSI 1.8 CVT.
This Multitronic / Tiptronic version had flappy paddles and EIGHT speeds to play with.

I found the gearbox aspect to be very clever.
Driving in auto, just a touch of either paddle and it switched out of auto and displayed 12345678 with its choice of gear highlighted. The normal floor quadrant could still be used for sequential gear changes.
It had the usual "sport mode" that with a heavy boot red lined.
Another clever feature was that in auto, on deown slopes, having used the brakes it retained that gear and thus better engine braking.

Other observations on the A4.
Use of the heater A/C controls activated a Sat Nav sized screen so very easy to see.
IIRC 20 speed fan for the interior displayed like a clock face on the screen.
Similar display for temp
Chin spoiler already scraped and very easy to repeat (even exiting the hire car site).
Electronic dip stick - no normal dipstick. Brake fluid resevoir shrouded.
( this tends to support my views that the engine bay acces is becoming a no no for for all but the experts)
At night the cabin was lit like a Christmas tree. Absolutely everything that moved had a little red indicator.

RTFM and extras like adaptive cruise control and blind spot warnings are available.

Overall good fun for a 98 Mondeo driver.
8 speed gear box. Enough? Audi A4 - daveyjp
I had a 2.0TDi manual A4 Avant for two days last week. I liked it apart from the manual gearbox, but s-tronic (DSG) is due soon. I had an A4 CVT 7 speed as a courtesy car a couple of years ago and didn't like it as much as the DSG.

Re dipstick and brake fluid - did you look under the bonnet? I did and both are still there for manual checks to be carried out.
8 speed gear box. Enough? Audi A4 - henry k
>>Re dipstick and brake fluid - did you look under the bonnet? I did and both are still there for manual checks to be carried out.

I did look and the RTFM at length. No dipstick. Brake fluid res was tucked up under the windscreen inside sound deadening.
Washer bottle had a metal mesh strainer inside its neck - a nice touch.

8 speed gear box. Enough? Audi A4 - cheddar
>>Electronic dip stick - no normal dipstick. >>

Our '98 Clio has an electronic dipstick, very accurate and very reassuring, still occasionally check manually though no real need to. No surprise that these systems are now considered reliable enough to not need manual intervention.

>>At night the cabin was lit like a Christmas tree. Absolutely everything that moved had a little red indicator.>>

As per the A6, like a Christmas tree as soon as you put the key in.
8 speed gear box. Enough? Audi A4 - Mookfish
Our '98 Clio has an electronic dipstick very accurate and very reassuring

Going further back my 1990 Renault 19 had this, it was a dial simular to the petrol guage that activated with the ignition on then shut off once the engine started. Very acurate as I recall, moreso than the petrol guage anyway.

Another very simple feature I remember from that cars dash is two seperate brake lights, one for handbrake on and a seperate one for brake fault, why isn't this the norm?
8 speed gear box. Enough? Audi A4 - R75
Being a bit of a party pooper, none of this is really that new.

Electronic dipstick? My J' plate Pug 405 GTXI had one, the temp gauge at start up would show oil level, then revert to being a temp gauge after about 10 seconds.

And many trucks have had them for quite some time as well. Along with the auto boxes of greater then 8 gears, the last Iveco I drove with a 12 speed auto box would, with cruise control engaged, drop one, two or 3 gears when descending a hill to give the exhaust brake maximum effect. No cars that I know of will do that.

Cars seem to actually get technology quite late compared with other areas of motoring it seems.
8 speed gear box. Enough? Audi A4 - madf
My 1946 Rover 16 had an electric oil level reading. Press a button on the dash and the petrol guage read the oil level.

The car industry has invented little new.

My 1980 Ford Granada had something similar...

Please try to keep up with inventions that were standard on some cars 60 years ago.

SIXTY..

(Bet that predates most people reading here:-)))))
8 speed gear box. Enough? Audi A4 - Bill Payer
Honda Jazz has a 7 speed CVT. If course in a CVT they're artificial steps, so the software designers could give as many gears as the product marketers wanted.
8 speed gear box. Enough? Audi A4 - rtj70
" 7 speed CVT"

I always thought it silly when they talk about number of gears on a continual variable transmission. Isn't the continually variable bit meant to be an important part of how it works ;-)
8 speed gear box. Enough? Audi A4 - Sulphur Man
True, but giving owners the option of "ratios" makes them feel a bit more wanted ;-)

This is another thread indicating that drivers who once accepted manual cars would rather have an DSG/CVT/torq conv auto now. Auto sales will probably overtake manual sales in this country fairly soon. The traffic conditions have made many want to switch. And the increased efficiency and affordability of an auto. Of course, some cars offer the best experience in manual, a Honda S2000 for instance, but for the everyday 'hack', an auto is an increasingly popular choice. I'm a convert!

8 speed gear box. Enough? Audi A4 - Optimist
As BP said, the Honda Jazz has seven points in the CVT which are programmed to act as gears. I'm trying to see the point of programming in more since the top can't, presumably, be a higher ratio than the top the CVT can achieve. So are some of the ratios closer together to give a different drive?

I know that some of the techs on here are massively distrustful of CVT but I'd have thought Audi's adoption of it stands for something.

8 speed gear box. Enough? Audi A4 - nortones2
Audi A6 I travelled in last week, from Kent to Lille and Ypres, has a CVT which the driver just left in D. Runs at around 1900/2000 at cruise, and rarely goes higher. Usually unaware of the diesel engine, except that it doesn't need refilling that often. Want one. If I don't have to pay for rectification if it grenades:)
8 speed gear box. Enough? Audi A4 - rtj70
"And the increased efficiency and affordability of an auto"

A traditional torque converter type auto is less efficient than a manual. Agree a dual clutch arrangement like the VAG DSG is efficient. If it were not for the inefficiency for the torque converter boxes a lot more would have them already. On a more powerful engine the losses are probably a smaller %age and so easier to justify - you try selling a manual 2+ litre Mercedes with a manual box and foot operated parking break ;-)