Auction - gonna do it - bananastand
Right. I've got two and a half grand ring-fenced and I'm going down the auctions in Belle Vue. I've not been to one since I was a kid so I'm going to have a look (without my debit card so I'm not tempted) to get the feel, then next visit my hand goes in the air.

I see they have ex-MoD cars every wednesday, or I wonder if it's worth looking at general stuff. I'm after mondeo or vectra size, maybe a bigger petrol in a horrible colour, something dealers won't like!

I've read HJ's guide about twelve times so I kind of know the rules. What does the panel think - will I get a tidy Vectra for that kind of dough? It seems the MoD cars don't get slaughtered like ex-police ones do...

ta chaps

Edited by Pugugly on 03/11/2008 at 18:49

auction - gonna do it - kirklander73
Go for it!! the only people in the forces who get something like a vectra or mondeo are usually high rank officers, the rest of us have to put up (!) with astras and foci.
you will be able to see behind the grill where the pennant bracket was fitted.
And you guessed it these people get drivers too and dont like to go fast!!!!!!!!!!
I know these thigs are over serviced and cosseted like you wouldnt believe a bargain buy, as for the price well the economy is on your side right?!!!
auction - gonna do it - bananastand
that settles it, ha ha.

MoD auction this wednesday. Nobody else go there til I've bought mine, ok???
auction - gonna do it - Armitage Shanks {p}
The Forces have not had their own light vehicles (cars vans etc) for years. They are on lease from whoever has the contract (Hertz, Avis etc). They may well be driven gently and not far, but there is no reason to suppose that they will be 'over serviced' as this would cost money. They are just like any other fleet or ex-lease car and should be viewed in that light IMO

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 03/11/2008 at 15:13

auction - gonna do it - Chris S
At my local auctions you have to buy blind - you know how long's left on the tax and MOT and that's it.

It's just a gamble and like all gambling don't bet more than you can afford to loose.
auction - gonna do it - Hope this helps
Auction bargain for two and a half grand?? Before you stick your hand up, make sure you have budgeted for any repairs needed (say up to the value of an engine or gearbox or head gasket or clutch...........) then, if the car is still cheaper than it would be in the small ads take the plunge. You will either be very pleased or £2500 worse off. If your gamble has paid off, I hope your luck holds out as you drive home with no tax or insurance. Remeber the "drive any vehicle 3rd party" clause on your motor insurance policy refers to cars you do not own. Sarcastic, moi! Yes it was, sorry, but a bargain is only a bargain if it is properly prequalified and auctions are still buyer beware territory.
auction - gonna do it - Mapmaker
Hope that helps

You sound like a bitter member of the trade trying to keep punters away from your own rich picking grounds.

Any truth in this assertion?
auction - gonna do it - henry k
>>You sound like a bitter member of the trade trying to keep punters away from your own rich picking grounds.
>>Any truth in this assertion?

Profile says "I run a buy to order car business and as such, work for clients with complete impartiality in helping to authenticate and source new and used vehicles."

Well the 2500 includes provision for tax, fees etc. I believe that you can ring a garage to book an MoT and drive legally to that garage - but I doubt I'd buy owt with no test. I think you can reasonably drive a car from auction to garage without tax - maybe not totally legal but I know people have. OK OK don't anyone bite me head off!!!
believe that you can ring a garage to book an MoT and drive legally to that garage

Correct. And you can ring your insurance company and get cover there and then. Or indeed take a mate with you who can drive it thrid party on their own insurance.
auction - gonna do it - davidh
>>You sound like a bitter member of the trade trying to keep punters away from your own >>rich picking grounds.

More like good advice I'd say.

Dont you think think auction is where a lot of the dross ends up? I do.
a lot of junk goes thro the auctions naturally but I'm looking at ex-MoD, there's a limit to how "abused" it will have been... a gamble of course but what the hell, there's dealers buying there too! I've been put off ex-police cars forever, they really do have the life wrung out of em... I am led to believe.
More like good advice I'd say.
Dont you think think auction is where a lot of the dross ends up? I do.

Yes of course it is. But there are ways to word things, and ways not to.
auction - gonna do it - Nsar
have a look on Ebay too to see what these cars are actually getting from recently ended sales
auction - gonna do it - Paul G1pdc
i'm not trying to put you off, but years ago i was on a CAD training course, and the b+b i was staying in had a load of mechanics on a "quotation" training course, all the lads there had seen a series of smashed up cars and there job was to quote what it would cost and how long to fix each car...turned out the bmw guys quoted the most fixing even the slightest bit of damage,,the lowest quotes where the forces/raf guys who if there damage under the bumper that didn't effect the way the car drove you just fitted the bumper and covered up the rest of the damage....
paul.
auction - gonna do it - Hope this helps
Mapmaker - I did sound a tad bitter. Oops! I was just tying to give sound advice. Perhaps I could have chosen my words more carefully. I am a member of the motor trade and proud of the level of integrity I bring to my job, but the auction halls are not a hunting ground or source of rich pickings for me. Most of us car people are decent and honest and I was just trying to point out that there are two major flaws in buying budget cars at auction - 1. Is it really cheap or could I buy from the small ads for the same price and 2. Does the car need money spending on it? The second is an unknown until you buy the car, but unless you research the first point you could come unstuck.
auction - gonna do it - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have never visited this dealership, 3 miles from where I live, but their website www.witham-sv.com/ might give you some idea of what the 'trade' asks for ex-military vehicles.
auction - gonna do it - oldnotbold
"Go for it!! the only people in the forces who get something like a vectra or mondeo are usually high rank officers, the rest of us have to put up (!) with astras and foci."

Not always true - just watch for the ex-mil cars with a tow-bar - they'll have been thrashed, and not because they went caravanning.....

Brixmis used to have Volvos - and they really got hammered - driving over farm tracks at 60 and getting pushed off the road by Soviet/FDR convoys.