2001 2.0 Central locking and alarm problems - andyjarv
I have a 2001 Audi A4 2.0 petrol and have a problem with the remote C/L and security system. I have gone through the re-programing remote procedure to no avail. The car is completely dry inside and in the boot.

a) The Remote C/L doesn't work, I have fitted new batteries into both keys but still nothing.

b) The front doors, boot lock and fuel flap work ok from the key however both the rear doors don't lock on the C/L system. I currently am having to use the manual over ride which is a pain.

c) The alarm is not working, the LED in the drivers door is not flashing or lit continuously, the hand book says if the LED is lit rather than flashing then there is a fault but say's nothing about it not being lit at all.

I can't help thinking there is a link between the two faults.

Edited by andyjarv on 02/11/2008 at 09:30

2001 2.0 Central locking and alarm problems - elekie&a/c doctor
First thing to do is lift the carpet and underlay in the passenger front footwell.Remove the plastic trims to make it easier.Locate a black plastic box and open it up to inspect the c/d/lock window control module.You may find it swimming along with the wiring that runs along the floor to the n/s/f door pillar.Worth a look.hth
Cheers, I've just been out and lifted the front passenger side carpet as much as I could, the module and wiring are completely dry and there was no sign that they have ever got wet. I know this is common problem so it was worth checking first though.
After lifting the carpet I now seem to have a problem with the interior light, in center position ie set to come on when the doors are opened it it on all the time even with the doors shut and engine running. It goes off then comes back on again when I lock the car from the outside.
2001 2.0 Central locking and alarm problems - Screwloose
andy

Doc is on the right lines. Open up the wiring loom to that module about 18" away from it. There are several soldered joints in the cables about there - and they disintegrate.

Edited by Screwloose on 02/11/2008 at 15:08

Ah, I just checked for wetness sounds like it could be a dodgy connection then, are we talking in front of the module (towards engine) or rear of the module, I can only get the carpet up so much, probably need to remove the front passenger seat to get any further back, however we might be getting close, when I bought the car the bottom of the rear passenger side door panel and the carpet were covered in what looked like Coke, it looked like quite a large spillage concentrated in a small area.

The box containing the convenience module is on its own loom; follow that forwards.
After feeling arround the box area the interior light has started acting up as has the interior C/L switch, I guess I must be getting close to the root of the problem.

Time to get a scalpel out and remove the loom tape to find those solder joints.