Problems with car bought from dealer-any recourse? - lordwoody
My daughter bought a Peugeot 206 about 3 months ago, from a dealer. It was bought against my advice, mainly on the basis of its color and alloy wheels. It came with a new MOT but no warranty or history, and a low mileage confirmed online by its past MOT's.
There has been an intermittent problem since new of the engine light coming on and the car losing power. It doesn't happen often, but often enough to make my daughter concerned about driving it any distance. It's had a check for codes but none were initially found so it's going for a better check on Monday ( not at a Peugeot dealer though)
As she had no warranty I assumed the dealer had no responsibilities but now I'm not so sure. Can someone clarify her position please?
Problems with car bought from dealer-any recourse? - Armitage Shanks {p}
All is revealed in HJ's FAQs. You have 6 months during which the delling dealer has to prove that a fault with the car was not present when he sold it, roughly speaking. Check out

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=43
OK, thanks for that, but does that only apply to new cars, or 10 year old ones too?

Edited by Pugugly on 31/10/2008 at 20:53

sorted

Edited by Pugugly on 31/10/2008 at 20:53

Problems with car bought from dealer-any recourse? - Armitage Shanks {p}
No - new cars have some sort of manufacturer warranty of variable duration. The 6 months applies to all cars sold thru the 'trade' SFAIK, although it is not reasonable to expect a 10 year old car to be as reliable or fault free as a 4 year old. I found the link but didn't read it - isn't it clear on the applicability of the law?
As with most law it's not entirely clear (to me anyway)

"So if you buy a cheap car on trade terms you cannot reject it under the Act. And if you buy a cheap car (under £2,000) on retail terms from a trader, you cannot reasonably expect it to be perfect"

Not entirely sure how this applies in my daughter's case. I assume from the above she has no recourse as, so far, it seems a relatively minor, if inconvenient, fault of the type which I might assume to exist on a car of this age.

Problems with car bought from dealer-any recourse? - Rattle
It has to be fit for purpose and as it keeps going into limp mode it is clearly not fit for purpose.
Problems with car bought from dealer-any recourse? - Screwloose

If the light has been on; then there will be codes. So many code-readers can't access manufacturer codes - only generic EOBD ones and those are rarely set these days.

What engine and year?
Screwloose-I did discuss this with you the other day. It's a 1.1, 1999. I took it to a very local garage who checked the codes but couldn't find any. I've got it booked into my own garage I use and trust 100% on Monday-they have a visiting code reader who charges £50 ( it was just included in the service at the local garage) My concern is whether he'll be able to read them.
Would it be better to go to a Peugeot garage or would they be no better? I don't want to waste £50 if there's a chance he won't find the codes.
Problems with car bought from dealer-any recourse? - Rattle
A Peugeut dealer will have the correct PSA fault code reader so you would be much better off getting the diagnostics done there and then showing your trusted garage the faults. My uncle has spend £300 on a fault code reader and even that can't read all faults.
Any more opinions on Peugeot dealer versus good independent's visiting code reader? I'm a bit cynical about main dealers, from a service and cost point of view, whereas I've been using my independent for many years and trust them implicitly.

Edited by lordwoody on 01/11/2008 at 09:00

Problems with car bought from dealer-any recourse? - L'escargot
I'm a bit
cynical about main dealers from a service and cost point of view ........

Obviously it will depend on the individual dealer. I used a Peugeot dealer for my 306 XSi and I was completely satisfied. They were so generous that they balanced a wheel for nothing after a large tyre fitting chain said they couldn't do it because it was buckled. The Peugeot dealer proved to me it wasn't buckled by letting me see it spun up to speed on their balancing machine. And I had bought the car from another dealer.