Exhausts - shocking price differences - Rattle
I phoned National for a quote on a new back box for my dad and they said £69 inc vat. These seemed too steep as I know on a Fiesta the trade price is around £20 for one of these. He said it came with a 2 year guarentee.

I then phone Kwikfit and they said it would be £49 inc vat and 3 year warranty.

Why is there such a big difference in price?

please don't alter trading names in a negative way

Edited by Pugugly on 30/10/2008 at 22:09

Exhausts - shocking price differences - massey
profit
Exhausts - shocking price differences - the swiss tony
Greed
Buy why would people pay this just ignorance? I know the trade price is £20, I know fitting a back box is a half hour job at monkey rates, so about £4 labor at the most, then I know the over heads of running a garage is quite high so £50 inc warranty seems a good deal for the garage and also for the customer. But £70 is just taking the mickey.
Exhausts - shocking price differences - L'escargot
You get what you pay for. As someone who likes peace and quiet, pattern part silencers are the bane of my life. I just wish everyone would fit genuine replacements, and have their car's exhaust as quiet as when it was new.
Exhausts - shocking price differences - Ian (Cape Town)
But, dear rattle, you are of the ilk known as 'motorist', not of the ilk known as 'car user'.

The average car user doesn't know, or care. They just stop at the nearest shop, and say "Ooh, my exhaust is a bit noisy, can you fix it?"
They haven't got a clue what it SHOULD cost.

I suppose I'm the same with lots of things - I haven't a clue about the price of a bag of potting soil, or a goldfish, or a set of cricket stumps, or a fluorescent lightbulb, or a tin of paint... until I have to go out and buy them.
And I can imagine the chap in the shop saying "here we go, albert, I bet we can wring a few pennies from this chap..."

Exhausts - shocking price differences - Armitage Shanks {p}
Whree is this garage that does 30 minutes work for £4? Is this what they pay the man or is it what they charge you? Sounds like a bargain either way, if the wok is properly done.
Exhausts - shocking price differences - doctorchris
Motoring is one of the few areas left where haggling is still acceptable, possibly even desirable, to the trader.
Therefore you should, were you not happy with with the Kwikfit price, have returned to National with their price and asked them to beat it. Possibly, if National bettered the price, you could have then returned to Kwikfit for an even lower price.
My wife does this with package holidays. You have to admire her patience but she gets some great deals and usually ends up at Thomas Cook which has a branch a stone's throw from where we live.
So, Rattle, haggle away and may your exhaust soon cease to sound like your name.
Exhausts - shocking price differences - cheddar
>>Motoring is one of the few areas left where haggling is still acceptable>>

Just had a rear section / box done on the Clio:

Order online fit myself £24 + £12.50 delivery + vat = £42.88
Fast fit 17 miles away = £59.95 inc vat
Fast fit 8 miles away £59.95 + vat = £70.44
Local indy garage £75 + vat = £88.12

What did I do? I asked the 8 mile fast fit if they would match the 17 mile fast fit price, they agreed, £59.95 all in, there and back from home in under an hour, only £17 more than if I had done it myself.

No brainer !!

Edited by cheddar on 30/10/2008 at 08:50

Exhausts - shocking price differences - pmh
Accepting the cheapest 'quote' may not yield the lowest expenditure! Stories of additional urgent (or even safety related) work being found or required abound. Use any fastfit outlet at your peril.

I am not suggesting that any particular chain is better or worse than any other, but remember all fastfit 'employee' business are target driven, and some (mug?) has to contribute if every body else is getting heavy discounts.

pmh
Exhausts - shocking price differences - andyfr
The back box on my wife's last Clio diesel went and I shopped around for the best deal which just happened to be a place next to work. There was a big drop in power, so much that I took it into our normal mechanic for him to have a look at and he said that there was too much back pressure and that I should take it back, which I did. The exhaust centre said there was nothing wrong so we were stuck with low power and poor MPG until we traded it in.

You get what you pay for was certainly true in this case.

Edited by andyfr on 30/10/2008 at 09:53

>>so we were stuck with low power and poor MPG >>

You should have taken it further, reckon they fitted the wrong box.
Exhausts - shocking price differences - andyfr
You should have taken it further reckon they fitted the wrong box.

We were due to change the car otherwise we would have gone for a genuine Renault box.
Exhausts - shocking price differences - nick62
You should have taken it further reckon they fitted the wrong box.

Sounds to me more like the box was faulty rather than the "wrong one". Probably almost blocked by a manufacturing fault, especially if it was a pattern part.
Exhausts - shocking price differences - Roger Jones
The tyre & exhaust outfits know that they are in the distress-purchase business: most customers need rescuing from their predicament and are not in a position to exercise their normal consumer discretion. That's not to say that they are necessarily greedy or profiteering: add an hour's labour & overheads to the £24 online price quoted above and see what you get.

Quality is something else. If you're keeping a car, paying up for an OEM exhaust will be worth it because they are almost always of distinctly better quality than aftermarket exhausts. Places such as Euro Car Parts and GSF can give you the best of both worlds if you are careful about the brand involved: OEM quallity at sub-OEM prices. For my cars, brands such as Eberspächer and Ernst are good and are known to be OEM suppliers.
Exhausts - shocking price differences - gordonbennet
. Places such as Euro Car Parts and GSF can give you the best of
both worlds

Spot on RJ, and those 2 good suppliers made the difference between MB and Lexus for us.

If there was a GSF or Euro for Lexus, i would probably have gone down that road many years ago.

And some of the aftermarket exhausts from the quick buck centre's are no heavier than a bean can and last about as long, so shocking price differences and some truly shocking quality differences too, 18 months use if you're lucky often.

Do always enquire at the main dealer for the genuine part though, sometimes surprisingly reasonable for the correct quality part, and the fit is usually perfect too.
All the tryes on my dads car have 5mm plus, the pads are all new, the drums have recently been adjusted, it has 10 months MOT, new brake pads, new suspension bushes etc, we have spend about £400 on safety work on that car in the last year, I would like to see them dare point on any problems! Even the wishbones are new.
Exhausts - shocking price differences - pmh
Oil leaking from a shock absorber - (were you there when the oil was squirted from a can?)

Typical scam, as told to me by an ex centre manger. He was sacked because he refused to carry out the scams to meet his targets. Now working as an independent recovery agent.

pmh
Exhausts - shocking price differences - Statistical outlier
Compared to the differences in tyre prices I've encountered, I'd say that was small beer. Last time I was changing, prices for the same tyre varied from £89 fitted to £165 fitted.

You may be able to guess where the really silly quote came from.. Needless to say I quickly rejected that one.
Exhausts - shocking price differences - OldSock
You can buy a loaf of 'value' bread from the supermarket for 29p, or from an 'artisan baker' for £1.29.

Just bread, innit?
Exhausts - shocking price differences - jase1
I have to say that I totally agree about pattern exhausts.

I had a full exhaust fitted to the Primera at a cost of £275 (the cheapest of three fast-fit quotes). 1.8 engine so parts need to be on special order (sigh).

The exhaust parts from Nissan would have been £280, and fitting was quoted at "about £35" -- an hour's labour -- at local indie.

Stupidly, because I needed car there and then, I went for the pattern option.

Never again.

It's noisy, it rattles, it vibrates and it generally is the source of much annoyance. Why oh why didn't I just drive the Daewoo around for a couple of days?

Grrrrrr.
Well my local Ford dealer didn;t want to know, I am very huming about the total lack of customer service. After several phone calls I still haven't even got a quote :(.
Well my local Ford dealer >>

Many Ford dealers have a RapidFit dept, that is where you will get the best proces though Ford parts.
Exhausts - shocking price differences - gordonbennet
Very honest of you Jase and a lesson to us all.

I think we've all done the equivalent in our time though, it was cheap tools my silly mistake years ago, but when that impossible to get at bell housing bolt rounds off because you bought a set of monkey metal sockets, you don't ever make that mistake again,
For those possibly interested, and to bore those not..;)
top bell housing bolt on a toyota supra by the way, 14mm, i managed to shift it eventually... just, with a 6 sided impact socket and about 3 ft of extension bars from under the car/behind the box and pushing hard over the lowered box, what a nightmare, very shallow bolt head though, no room for anything other than a dead straight turn with a 6 sided socket for anyone who contemplates that particular job.
I can still remember everything about that job, some 18/20 years ago, especially the weight of the box as i removed and fitted it alone...billy no mates as usual.

And my sockets and spanners now are as good quality as i could possibly afford, with a full set of impacts for those nasty overtight ones.
Exhausts - shocking price differences - DP
So do the car manufacturers actually manufacture their own exhausts? I find that quite difficult to believe.

I would have thought it would be a case, like so many other car parts, of finding out who makes the OEM exhaust, and then buying one under that brand rather than in the manufacturer's packaging.

Cheers
DP
So do the car manufacturers actually manufacture their own exhausts?

They don't make them but they may well be made exclusively for them. If the exhaust manufacturer doesn't abide by the rules of the contract (i.e. tries to sell them under another brand name), I would expect the car manufacturer to apply pressure to bring them back in line.

Edited by L'escargot on 31/10/2008 at 07:17

It was rapidfit I spoke to, they said they would ring back but didn't. Took the car this morning to a fast fit centre - webmaster edit and this was the conversation:-

Oink: Yeah
Me: I booked an exhaust in for this Fiesta
Oink: Yeah wait in the waiting room mate
Me: OK can you also confirm the price before you do it
Oink: Ok mate
10 minutes dragged on
Oink: What engine is it
Me: 1.3
5 minutes passed
Oink: Its not in stock mate, come back at 9:30
Dad: OK
I told my dad to go else where, but its his car so he has gone back with it now, I have a job to go to, but I told him if they start on the you need shocks etc just say my son will do it this afternoon :p it will shut 'em up.

Why is it people in these fast fit centres are not capable of having a conversation, there was no apologies and the car was booked two days ok, why did somebody not think to check the stock was in before the customer arrived?

Edited by Webmaster on 04/11/2008 at 18:26

Exhausts - shocking price differences - OldSock

"why did somebody not think to check the stock was in before the customer arrived?"

Mainly because the customer often doesn't show up - because he's found somewhere £2 cheaper. In many urban areas a wholesaler or motor factors can have an exhaust at a fitting centre within 20 minutes. That's why it's called a "while-you-wait" service :-)
Still I reckon the 1.3 Endura engine must be THE most common engine around in this of Manchester, anyway I have a job go to so my dad will have to deal with them :).
.... I have a job go to .......

You told us that at 09:21, but at 09:47 you still haven't gone!

;-)
Exhausts - shocking price differences - quizman
I agree with you L'escargot, pattern exhausts are just not worth it.

I've had new exhausts from quick style places over the years. They never seem right, a banging and a rattling. You end up going back when they will bash them with a hammer to stop the rattles. They only last 1 month longer than the guarantee as well.

As for firms ringing back, you can wait for ever.
Exhausts - shocking price differences - Lud
The VW 411 had an expensive, complicated exhaust that was of course integrated into the heating system, the heating OK on the road but carp around town if the car's supplementary petrol stove wasn't working (they seldom did thank goodness).

If the studs holding the two exhaust manifolds to the cylinder heads worked loose the car would eat the thick copper rings that served as manifold gaskets. The cost and awkwardness of the system meant that my 411 spent some time with an exhaust increasingly made up of bits of tin and lots of Gun-Gum all held together with a cat's cradle of iron wire... Big effort to do, highly ineffective and rattled like nobody's business, although it didn't fill the car with exhaust through the heater... failsafe, ja?
When I was at junior school, many, many years ago, we had a kind of paved ramp leading down to an external classroom and used to race Matchbox cars, letting them go at the top without pushing them, letting gravity do its stuff and the winner being the one that travelled furthest, my metallic purple VW 411 was indisputed champion.
Exhausts - shocking price differences - DP
The VW 411 had an expensive complicated exhaust that was of course integrated into the
heating system

Ah, weren't these the "heat exchangers" which could, if they corroded in a certain place, allow neat exhaust gas directly into the cabin?
Exhausts - shocking price differences - henry k
>>The exhaust parts from Nissan would have been £280, and fitting was quoted at "about £35" -- an hour's labour -- at local indie.

>>Stupidly, because I needed car there and then, I went for the pattern option. Never again.

Should I avoid the pattern option and go for the dealer quote of 2 years ago
£845 plus fitting for a 1999 Yaris? or NOT.
dealer quote of 2 years
ago
£845 plus fitting for a 1999 Yaris? or NOT.

This is exactly an example of why I buy Ford ~ cheap spares and repairs.
Exhausts - shocking price differences - henry k
>>This is exactly an example of why I buy Ford ~ cheap spares and repairs
>>
My Mondeo cat was replace by a main dealer for about £250 total so I agree re Fprd spares prices.
Exhausts - shocking price differences - jase1
henry k,

well of course you use your common sense -- something I neglected to do with the Nissan...
Exhausts - shocking price differences - Paul G1pdc
in 1992 a rear silencer for a ford fiesta mk3 rs turbo (1990 H reg) was £200 and had to come from germany. couldn't get a copy part, had to come from main dealers.

approx 3 month later the exhaust,,,rear silencer on my girlfriends mk2 fiesta 1.1 rusted through the welds and partly fell off,,,,cost £20.....fitted......
we won't even talked about the low profile tyres that only perelli made....
.huff......
.bought a golf in the end....cheap parts from german and swedish...haha