1996 1.3 Has my sump being over filled? - Rattle
I have noticed my car has been quite smokey since the oil change. This morning I decided to investigate, I checked the breathers and they are all clear, so I decided to check the level, it was about 50mm above maximum. Is this within the save limits? If not I have done about 10 miles since the change would this have caused any damage to the seals?

I don't want to accuse my mechanic of over filling until I know he has overfilled it.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/10/2008 at 18:39

1996 1299 Has my sump being over filled? - Chris M
If the car is standing on level ground and the engine has been off for at least 10 minutes or so, then if it's 50mm over the maximum mark, it is overfilled big time. Get some drained out.
1996 1299 Has my sump being over filled? - Rattle
Its not really on a level ground because its parked on the road :(. #';'! Am I right in thinking this could have caused some real damage?
1996 1299 Has my sump being over filled? - yorkiebar
Parking on the road should not have caused any real damage!

Reading your oil level whilst at an angle could!

Take it somewhere flat (garage forecourt) before assuming its overfull and blaming your mechanic !
1996 1299 Has my sump being over filled? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Need to get the car on level ground first to do a proper check.
However,if the handbook says 1 litre between min and max calibration extrapolate that up the dipstick to give you an idea of the overfill.On the face of it a considerable overfill is likely. Oil will be spewing out of breather pipes before too long and the clutch may get contaminated.
Just took it to my mechanics he said the oil was fine as he just fills in exactly what the data manual tells him too and that dip sticks are only a rough idea.

He said there was no problem at all with compression and the steam can only be exhaust coddensation, I drove 30 miles on on the motorway (more than it has done in the past 6 months!) and the smoke has completly cleared.
1996 1299 Has my sump being over filled? - mfarrow
I've found the Valencia engine quite resiliant to slopes. I certainly have never seen overfill of 50mm on my HCS. It's almost like they put the full 5l can in, or filled it up twice! as per your new post

I'd check the handbook to see if you're reading the stick right. The HCS at least has a funny arrangement of a lower mark, and a 10mm 'dent' in the stick denoting maximum. You're meant to fill to the top of the dent.

Edited by mfarrow on 29/10/2008 at 14:59

I guess I will keep an eye on it, he did my dads car (same engine) fairly recently and never any problem of that. I have now done 47 miles since the oil change and there is no smoke at all, I assume if it was a problem I would know by now.

The smoke is completly clear now, I can't see a thing so hopefully it will be fine.

The dip stick is shorter than my dads and they are both the same engine, so that could have something do with it.
1996 1299 Has my sump being over filled? - Peter D
It is over filled and is damaging your cat and carbonising the exhaust valves. Get the garage to suck some out. Idiots. Regards Peter
1996 1299 Has my sump being over filled? - jc2
I'd find a new mechanic as well.
"It is over filled and is damaging your cat and carbonising the exhaust valves. Get the garage to suck some out. Idiots"

And this comment is based on?

Most mechanics could tell you roughly how much oil this engine takes without even looking in their book.

Until a reading has taken place on level ground there is no information to comment on!
1996 1299 Has my sump being over filled? - Peter D
50mm above the max mark. That is a whole load of oil. Regards Peter
Measured on a slope?

What angle, what direction?

I think thats maybe more importnat to know before condeming a mechanic ?

50mm overfill on this engine and it would be throwing the oil out of everywhere! It isnt? QED ?
As I said, 50mm would be an absolutely huge amount of overfill, an extra 2 litres at least. That is not 'fine', and will be up to the seals on a sharp bend.

PD - snap!

Edited by mfarrow on 30/10/2008 at 13:05

1996 1299 Has my sump being over filled? - oilrag
I can`t understand your putting such basic jobs to `your mechanic` Rattle.

Given that you are obviously keen on cars and go to the trouble of checking work afterwards.

(written with respect)

1996 1299 Has my sump being over filled? - Number_Cruncher
>>`your mechanic`

Who by the sound of this thread, and another recent thread isn't really up to it - either DIY, or find a better mechanic.

I was thinking, if a Haynes is not available, why not post here asking for advice on how to do some of these jobs?
First off it was 5mml not 50mm that was my mistake.

The smoke is all clear now so I am hoping it was over filled it was in the safety buffer and no long term has been done.

I am a computer engineer so I am not scared of using tools, in fact have diagnosted sensor faults on cars in the past. When it comes to spannering I get verty very scared, I attempted to fit a new bathroom sink a few weeks back, I did it fione and its all working perfectly now but it took me 3 hours to fix the leaks!

There are several reasons I don't do the work myself

I have no proper tools
I have no off road parking

Also my experience of cars is easy jobs always turn out to have lots of complications.
1996 1299 Has my sump being over filled? - Dynamic Dave
First off it was 5mm not 50mm that was my mistake.

In which case nothing to worry about IMHO.
Yep I thought there was 100mm in 1cm not 10mm hence my confusion - I need to go back to school :D.

I think the smoke since the oil change was the fact the condensation got a lot worse since the change of weather, my dads also has a faulty water pump so it gets up to temperature in about 1 mile where as mine takes longer.

Is there any good books that explain how to do oil changes/plugs etc in good detail? I have changed the air filter no problem and that is a little bit fiddily on this engine s the air box is flimsy and has all the sensors attached to it.

Nobody has ever shown me how to do these things so that is probably why I don't touch it. I had a mate who knew as much about me about cars he would just randomly take over the rocker cover etc I don't have the confidence.
First off it was 5mml not 50mm that was my mistake.

In which case your mechanic is forgiven. 5mm won't do much harm.
1996 1299 Has my sump being over filled? - Armitage Shanks {p}
According to his posts on another thread re cost of exhausts Rattle reveals, or implies, that his mechanic is on £8 an hour labour rate. This looks like a reason to avoid the place where he works!
He charges about £25 an hour but it depends on the job. It is a very cheap location and just one man, so running costs will be low.

I also never said mine charges £8 an hour, I was implying that the people that work in the fast fit centres as juniors are probably on that.

Edited by Rattle on 30/10/2008 at 15:09

1996 1299 Has my sump being over filled? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Fair enough!
"Is there any good books that explain how to do oil changes/plugs etc in good detail?"

Rattle, If you buy a Haynes manual from Halfords and a copy of Car Mechanics from Smiths every month, you will soon be up to speed.

I`m entirely self taught by that method.

Edited by oilrag on 30/10/2008 at 16:16