Parking an automatic - Rudedog
Hopefully a quick question...

When parking an auto (or DSG in my case) do you;

a) Put the car in Park and then apply the handbrake.

b) Apply the handbrake and then put the car into Park.

or

c) It makes absolutely no difference which way you do it!
Parking an automatic - storme
i always put mine into park..then use the hand brake
Parking an automatic - daveyjp
I was always taught handbrake then out of gear, whatever the transmission. I'm also a DSG driver.
Parking an automatic - stunorthants26
I tend to put on the handbrake, then let it settle quickly before sticking it in Park.
If I dont do it that way, it tends to clonk when I take it out of Park. Been the same on every auto ive ever driven.
Parking an automatic - Bromptonaut
Same principle as a manual.

Stop, engage parking brake, gears to neutral and switch off accesories (wipers, a/c and fan, radio, lights) before engine. Only different bit is transmission to P rather than first gear as in a manual.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 24/10/2008 at 22:44

Parking an automatic - Vansboy
Select PARK, depress FOOTBRAKE simultaneouslyapply handbrake & turn off engine.

VB
Parking an automatic - J500ANT
When im in my Jetta (also DSG) its Park only if i'm at home, its level so I dont see it as a problem - or Park then Handbrake elsewhere.

When i'm in my smart its into reverse, engine off then handbrake - locking it in reverse is the smart equivalent of the steering lock.
Parking an automatic - Bill Payer
In seem to recall that it used to be quite important if the car was on a slope to put the handbrake on first and then put the autobox in park - otherwise if the autobox park pawl was loaded it could be difficult / impossible to get the car out of Park.

In everyday use in my Merc I never use the "hand" brake (foot operated in the Merc).
Parking an automatic - Marc
Foot brake to come to a halt
Into PARK
Handbrake on
Release foot brake

Edited by Marc on 24/10/2008 at 23:52

Parking an automatic - David Horn
What Marc said. IIRC, in my Honda it wouldn't go in/out of park without the footbrake on anyway.
Parking an automatic - Optimist
Handbrake then into park.

Parking an automatic - gordonbennet
Life's too short, i don't have a clue what my sequence is.
Parking an automatic - runboy
My DSG I put it in P then handbrake. Either way you'll have your foot on the brake, unless you move it to P, remove foot from brake then handbrake. If you remove your foot from the brake after selecting P and you are on a slope I presume the box will take up a bit of slack - would this put strain on the box? Is it best to handbrake before removing foot from brake.....
Parking an automatic - Lud
Make sure the car has stopped moving completely before selecting Park. If Park is a transmission lock the handbrake simply isn't needed. Perhaps if you have just driven into the paddock after a few furious laps of a race circuit, and your car has rear drums, it is better not to apply the handbrake.

However I have never done that, so I always use the handbrake. I seldom drive automatics and don't contemplate getting one although anything is possible.
Is there potential damage waiting for those who use just the transmission lock and not the handbrake as well?

If some twit should give your car a good shove whilst attempting the seemingly impossible task of parking wouldn't the shunt put undue strain on the locking mechanism?
Parking an automatic - Roger Jones
From Wikipedia:

"Park (P) ? This selection mechanically locks the transmission, restricting the car from moving in any direction. A parking pawl prevents the transmission?and therefore the vehicle?from moving, although the vehicle's non-drive wheels may still spin freely. For this reason, it is recommended to use the hand brake (or parking brake) because this actually locks the (in most cases, rear) wheels and prevents them from moving. This also increases the life of the transmission and the park pin mechanism, because parking on an incline with the transmission in park without the parking brake engaged will cause undue stress on the parking pin. An efficiently-adjusted hand brake should also prevent the car from moving if a worn selector accidentally drops into reverse gear during early morning fast-idle engine warmups."
Parking an automatic - ForumNeedsModerating
I'm with BillPayer & RJ on this - you want to leave the rather delicate gearbox park mechanism with no active stresses on it. I inadvertantly selected 'park' on my old XJ6 many years ago while still coasting very slowly to a halt - it made the most awful clickety-clacky sound & was never quite right afterwards.

I often park on an incline, so engaging 'park' is a no-no until the car is firmly held on the handbrake.

My drill is:

- stop, brakes on.
- select 'neutral' in auto
- parking brake on. (or foot parking brake on my Merc.)
- foot off brakes (car may move very slightly on an incline - don't want that held by 'park')
- select 'park'.
Parking an automatic - Hamsafar
I have to agree with those who say make sure the car is settled on just the handbrake alone before engaging P. It is not designed to hold the car, just lock the transmission with a tooth in a slot. Some people have had damaged autoboxes from using P alone and then the has been shunted in car parks, or when changing a wheel and undoing stiff wheel bolts. If parked in a flat garage or such place, P is fine on it's own.
Parking an automatic - Bill Payer
It is not designed to hold the car just lock the transmission with a tooth in a slot.

So what is the point of locking it then?
Parking an automatic - hillman
Lud does not live in the Peak District. On occasion I have not pulled the handbrake on hard enough before putting the gear lever into Park. When I came to restart the car it was difficult to get the lever out of Park, and when it came out it was with an almost audible 'clonk'.
So what is the point of locking it then?

To stop the car driving off on it's own if left parked with the engine running, this was a problem with early autos, especially column shift ones.
Parking an automatic - John F
d] put in Park and ignore handbrake, unless on steep hill. If someone inadvertently nudges, it might move slightly and save a bigger dent.

On approaching lights flick into Neutral and apply 1 click handbrake so can take foot off brake immediately when stopped. This saves bulb filaments, electricity and causes less dazzle for any poor sod with early glaucoma behind me.
Parking an automatic - GJD
On approaching lights flick into Neutral and apply 1 click handbrake so can take foot
off brake immediately when stopped. This saves bulb filaments electricity and causes less dazzle for
any poor sod with early glaucoma behind me.

Not sure I'd worry about touching the handbrake while I was still moving, but after I've stopped, turning off the brake lights if there is someone behind me I definitely consider polite.

Interestingly, there are apparently disproportionately fewer rear end shunts into the back of automatics than manuals, because a lower proportion of auto drivers engage handbrake and neutral when waiting in queues, preferring to hold on the foot brake, which keeps the brake lights on making you more obvious. Only relevant if you are the back of the queue though.

I believe the textbook answer in a queue would be handbrake on and into neutral anyway, then use the footbrake to keep the brake lights on if that would help other people.
Parking an automatic - rcspeirs
Come to a complete stop. Select park. End of story.

90% of cars in N America are auto. Virtually every driver over there doesn't even know their car has a hand brake - they just select park and get out. So long as you don't engage park on the move, I just don't buy this "you'll damage the transmission if you don't use the handbrake" story.

And yes - I have been doing this for 25 years now.
"Park" on an auto is linked to the starter circuit so the car won't start other than in park or neutral and you can't take out the key unless the car's in park.

Tha handbrake holds the car. IIRC the Americans call it the emergency brake and do use it on hills, eg.

I always put the car into neutral at a light to stop it creeping and to avoid blinding the next in line, as someone's already said.

When I park, particularly on a hill, I move into neutral on the footbrake, put on the handbrake and let it take the weight of the car, then shift into park.

I'm sure you can leave the handbrake off, but AFAIK the parking pawl just isn't designed to hold the weight of the car.

Edited by Optimist on 28/10/2008 at 10:46

Parking an automatic - pyruse
I only ever use the handbrake when parking an auto if I'm parking on a hill - otherwise I just use park. As other say, if you don't use it on a hill, it can be hard to get out of park.

The handbrake is also useful at lights - put it on and pop the car in neutral to avoid blinding the driver behind.

When I am in a queue behind a car with its brake lights on, I am not blinded. I am not even irritated, let alone annoyed. Am I alone in this respect? There's nothing wrong with my sight. I can't understand the fuss that is made about this.
Parking an automatic - Big Bad Dave
You aren't alone Roger. Blinded by brake lights? What's wrong with people?

And as a driver of an auto for twenty odd years I would never knock it into neutral and apply the handbrake in traffic.

Stop, stick it in park, lock car, walk away. Never broken one yet, nor had one roll away.
I don't think you need to put the handbrake on but why wouldn't you put it into neutral? If it creeps, you've got to hold it on the footbrake, haven't you?

As for brake lights and "blinding", I think the high level brake lights do "blind", ie make people uncomfortable, if stuck behind in traffic.

Oh my eyes, my eyes! I'm melting, I'm melting!!!
Parking an automatic - Alby Back
That'll be the Vodka Dave........

;-)
I've long been of the opinion that high level brake lights should brighten progressively depending on the level of braking, and i too find the constant barage of high intensity rear lights too much sometimes, especially in a higher vehicle where you may have a birds eye view of dozens of the things ahead.

Apart form anything else the constant brightness destroys what little night vision you may have and which we all sometimes need to spot that unlit cyclist or darkly clothed pedestrian in the urban environment.

Only my opinion of course.
Parking an automatic - brum
1. Open the window

2. Throw out the anchor

3. Make sure the anchor is fast - check by tugging it.

4. If you have a problem with the anchor - ask a passer by to tie it to the nearest lamppost/bollard.

5. If on a hill, take the brick out and place under an appropriate wheel.
Parking an automatic - Dynamic Dave
but why wouldn't you put it into neutral? If it creeps you've got to hold it on the footbrake haven't you?

My Vectra (and many other Vauxhall autos) drop themselves into neutral if the brake lights have been on for more than approx 1 second and the car is stationary.
If your Vectra does that, then you can take your foot off the brake and not melt people's eyes.

And isn't that the reason why you don't drop your car into neutral: the car does it for you?

If your Vectra does that then you can take your foot off the brake and not melt people's eyes.

If I did that then the car would re-engage 1st gear and start moving forward.
And isn't that the reason why you don't drop your car into neutral: the car does it for you?

Correct.

I also don't sit behind the car in front of me staring directly into the brake lights.
"My Vectra (and many other Vauxhall autos) drop themselves into neutral if the brake lights have been on for more than approx 1 second and the car is stationary."

Mine does this too Dave but I'm not sure if I like it. On balance I prefer a strong creep that pushes against the brakes, it just suits me in crawling traffic.

"but why wouldn't you put it into neutral? If it creeps you've got to hold it on the footbrake haven't you?"

Yep and that's how I like it.
Parking an automatic - John F
You aren't alone Roger. Blinded by brake lights? What's wrong with people?

Well, Dave [and I assume you are at present...] quite a lot is wrong with a lot of people, often through no fault of their own but just because of the way they are made. [the human race is a young and imperfect species].

Many people aged 50 and above have a problem with being dazzled, often because of some opthalmic condition, especially in the dark when raining. It's just a matter of courtesy/thought for the wellbeing of others - sadly often the exception rather than the norm these days. This is no way implies their visual acuity is so impaired as to preclude driving.
I hasten to add that I usually take my foot off the brake. I see the point about high-level lights, but they don't bother me. All lights are more difficult to cope with in rain. Oh, and I'm well over 50.

Edited by Roger Jones on 28/10/2008 at 15:51

I wonder if these same people who stare at brake lights also stare directly at the sun?

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of people who complain at how bright and dazzling brake lights are, yet still stare at them.

Do as you would with any other bright lights, DON'T look directly at them. Simple really.

Interesting the way Vauxhall autos drop into neutral under braking and stationary and re-select drive when brakes lift off.

Almost as though holding a car on the brakes in drive might be thought to damage it.

Edited by Optimist on 28/10/2008 at 21:50

Parking an automatic - Number_Cruncher
>>might be thought to damage it.

No, it's a simple ruse to improve fuel consumption - unless you idle in drive for a very long time, nothing is being damaged.

Parking an automatic - Bilboman
High level brake lights DO cause dazzle at night and/or in rain, and it is courteous to use the parking brake rather than dazzle drivers behind. Traffic lights are dimmed at night, but brake lights are not, and a bank of LEDs exactly at my eye level for 30 seconds does annoy me!
The Highway Code recommends looking away from the source of dazzle (be it oncoming lights or the sun) and in traffic jams, I find a slight dip of the sunvisor can blot out brake light dazzle quite well. I am currently seeking to patent a version with a highly polished mirror, to reflect the red dazzle right back at the driver and serve 'em right. The must-have accessory for Christmas 2008, along with my as-yet-unpatented Mimser Bazooka and Casey Jones "cowcatcher" attachment which gently but firmly pushes middle lane hogs into the empty left hand lane as you pass them.
Traffic lights are dimmed at night ....

Not round my neck of the woods they're not.
a bank of LEDs exactly at my eye level for 30 seconds does annoy me!

Hey, lets not forgot those cyclists with those bright flashing LEDs. Machine gun in the bumper perhaps?

And as for those anti-social police, fire engines and ambulances with those dazzling blue lights and pulsating headlights.....
All traffic lights are dimmed at night, if they didn't, you would know about if for sure, as they would be blinding (I have seen a set faulty once)
From the Highway Code:

You MUST NOT

* use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders
* use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226)

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.
(I have seen a set faulty once)

There must be several faulty sets in Oxfordshire and Wiltshire then. They all appear to be the same brightness regardless of the time of day (or night)