MOT's - Peter
My wife has been advised by our local garage that all MOTs have to be booked in by appointment. This has come about due to new legislation. Is this true or are they just being awkward?
MOT's - BrianW
Not to my knowledge, the exception being if the old MOT has expired when it is only legal to drive on the road on the way to a pre-booked appointment.
MOT's - Dwight Van Driver
DoT are at present in consulation stage (ends 4.10.2002) on the computerisation of the MOT system, not yet sure if there is anything in the proposed legislation to enact this which would require an appointment only.
Interesting what would happen to those come in and wait.
merchants.

DVD
MOT's - JohnnyBoy
Here in Northern Ireland we have to apply to the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Office for an appointment 6 weeks in advance.
But the up-side to this is that we can choose whether or not to have the car checked over by a garage first. I never do...and my Mondeo hasn't failed in any of it's 4 attempts.
So my MOT costs me the £16 application fee only.
MOT's - PB
Or if the car is not taxed, it may be driven to and from a booked MOT (as mine will be in the morning).
MOT's - Dynamic Dave
My wife has been advised by our local garage that
all MOTs have to be booked in by appointment. This has
come about due to new legislation. Is this true or are
they just being awkward?

Whether it true or not, I prefer to aways book beforehand anyway. Saves you having to hang about waiting if the place is busy.
MOT's - The Watcher
Have to say what's the problem? I always booked in advance and maybe the tester wants to be a bit more organised.

I gather if \ when all MOT stations are hooked up to the super computer, you wont be able to go to another station in the hope he'll pass you even though the previous one didn't!
MOT's - Tomo
"I gather if when all MOT stations are hooked up to the super computer, you wont be able to go to another station in the hope he'll pass you even though the previous one didn't!"

Oh, dear. This could mean if you don't give the chosen station some work you'll NEVER pass!
MOT's - martint123
I hear also that 'free' retests will be a thing of the past, as the computerised system that issues the certificate expects a certain minimum amount of time that that stations swipe card has to be in the machine.
MOT's - Andrew Hamilton
I always book, and wait while MOT being done. Seems to increase pass rate and also prevents phone calls for some minor work they dream up. Since the garage realised I get all repair work done elsewhere there is little incentive for them to invent work. No failures this year so my DIY efforts must be getting better!