Pug 306 L D Blue smoke. - Den
Help required!
T reg 1868cc Diesel 57k
All of a sudden huge clouds of pale blue smoke has belched out of the exhaust whilst driving at approx 40-60mph.
Also fast ticking noise from fuel pump and revs increased.
This has happened twice.
Recently bought car 18/5/02.
Returned to garage on 1st time and mechanic stated "could be a piece of dirt in fuel pump"
Feasable, but twice?
Any replies most welcome.

Den.

Pug 306 L D Blue smoke. - blank
Den:
I'm not one of the experts here, but I know a little. I think blue smoke=oil rather than diesel, which produces black sooty smoke when over-fuelled.

Is the oil level correct i.e. not over-full?

Is there not an issue with worn or over-full diesel engines whereby they can pressurise the crank case forcing oil into the air intake through a breather which burns and hence causes the engine to rev? It is probably worth trying a search on this forum to find out more about this phenomena.

No idea about the fuel pump noise other than it increasing the fuelling with engine speed and air flow, as it should.

Hope this helps, or triggers someone with better knowledge to respond.
Andy
Pug 306 L D Blue smoke. - blank
Sorry, I also meant to ask, how were you driving at the time. Gently in 5th, high revs in lower gears? Long straight or fast 'n'twisty?
Andy S

Thanks for the quick, informative reply.

1st time it happened: 5th gear travelling straight at steady 55/60mph on Motorway, slight uphill, overtaking other cars.

2nd time: Wife driving, bit vague about gear,speed,uphill, downhill,straight,roundabout but Tesco have some nice tops/pants!!!!!

Thanks again.
P.S Checked oil, appears ok!
Den.
Pug 306 L D Blue smoke. - BrianW
Andy
Your post echoes my own thoughts, sump oil making its way into the cylinders by one route or another.
Brian W.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Den.