Small cars - worth the bother? - Hector Brocklebank
With the current economic climate encorageing people to be more frugal, many are taking the opportunity to downsize into superminis in the hope of saving a few quid at the pumps and future-proofing themselves against rising VED.

My question is, are the lower running costs worth the sacrifice?

With the dubious honour of having driven a variety of modern superminis, I can report that the answer, in my opinion, is no!

In comparison to a mid-spec Focus or Astra, they were crude, noisy, uncomfortable, slow, poorly equipped, depressing to drive and unsafe.

For anyone doing an average mileage in mixed conditions, small cars are best left alone. They only make sense as low-mileage, second-car runarounds or as a stepping stone for the marginal motorist.
Small cars - worth the bother? - Bromptonaut
Those I've ridden in were as comfortable, quick, quiet and fun to drive as a medium size car. Some issues with safety if you're hit by something bigger, but then there are plenty of thinkgs much bigger than an astrascort or even a mondectra.

My issue is are they really that much cheaper to run. Had a BX side by side with a 205 for a couple of years. Same insurance, much the same fuel consumption and same servicing (both had XUD engines!).
Small cars - worth the bother? - Robin Reliant
Disagree.

That might have been true in Metro days, but most of my cars have been of the small variety (excluding my current Mondeo) and I used to spend all day in them without any comfort issues. They just got better and better in all respects as the years went on.

Unsafe? Tell that to a motorcyclist!
Small cars - worth the bother? - gmac
Unsafe? Tell that to a motorcyclist!

Absolutely, have you seen the state of a small car after being hit by a bike.
£8000 to spend, I'd buy the £350 Fiesta posted elsewhere on here incase we had some snow this winter, tip trips, DIY shed days and spend the rest on a decent bike...
Small cars - worth the bother? - mss1tw
>> Unsafe? Tell that to a motorcyclist!
>>
Absolutely have you seen the state of a small car after being hit by a
bike.

Or the motorcyclist after the small car pulls out on them at a junction. ;-)

Bet I know who comes off worse...
Bet I know who comes off worse...

The biker possibly has options he doesn't have to stay with the bike, the car driver and his passenger are going nowhere with quarter of a tonne of metal hurtling towards them.
Small cars - worth the bother? - Alby Back
Funny you should say that gmac. My Brother / Sister in law carve things up like this.

She has a newish 5 series BMW which they use as mainly her car plus it becomes the main family car during weekends / holidays. He has a new Honda Fireblade which he uses as much as possible and he also has about 50p's worth of ancient dishevelled Vauxhall Corsa for days when the bike is too cold or is impractical.

I'm not all that keen on him really come to think of it......

;-)
Quite a few bikers I know do this. Wife has a decent car for family/holiday duties, biker has a nice bike and a road legal shed.
I'm still waiting for my nice bike. My wife bought her brothers '97 CBR600F in '99. The damn thing just keeps going and going.
In 12 years the only main expense on it has been tyres, sprocket and chain sets (currently on its third) and a new battery. It's even still on the original headlight bulb and the lights are used on every journey - which is daily.
Small cars - worth the bother? - Manatee
there was a time when if you wanted comfort and a decent ride you had to buy a D segment car, but that hasn't been the case for years in my opinion.

That said, it's too late to downsize now - the time to do it was a year ago when bigger cars were worth something.
Can anyone recommend a small car that majors on comfort but also happens to be cheap to buy and run?

Small cars - worth the bother? - oldtoffee
>>Can anyone recommend a small car that majors on comfort but also happens to be cheap to buy and run?

"Majors on comfort" rules out lots and rules in a Renault Clio II, 1.2 - you'll need to look at quite a few and pass over a lot of dross to find a good one that's been looked after but well worth the effort. I bought one for my son to learn to drive in and learn to look after and I was amazed by the comfort and no frills driving enjoyment we both got out of it.
Small cars - worth the bother? - mattbod
Try a Skoda Fabia with the 1.9 TDI engine. This car is well built, quick and has a great ride. Yes the engine is a bit noisy at low revs but it fades away on the motorway. Honestly with this engine you will swear you are in a bigger car. Will easily do late 50s mpg to and people say the unit injector engine is a lot more trouble free than common rail engines, bags of low and mid range torque as well. If can't stretch to the 1.9 try the 1.4 TDI only a three pot but still very nippy in 80 bhp form and I like the engine note. Avoid the 70 bhp tune at all costs though. hate Diesel then try the 1.2 lire 12v three pot, really characterful little motor and feels much better (smoother, sweeter and quicker revving )than the 1.4 16v. Make sure it is the twin cam 12v though as they did a base single cam 6v 1.2 and that is very slow.

Edited by Mattbod on 23/10/2008 at 00:24

Small cars - worth the bother? - stunorthants26
I drive a small car, smaller than a 'supermini' even ( although not any less spacious ) and I use it as an everyday car, drive it anywhere, on any road and in any weather.

I did a 6 hour trip to Cornwall in it, sat at indicated 80 on the motorway no probs, engine was quiet enough for a conversation not involving raised voices, ride is acceptable, legroom better than some bigger cars ive owned, esp around steering column and lower dashboard.

It is acceptable comfortwise, incredibly easy to park and great for getting through gaps that larger cars cant in city traffic, yet has enough long-distance ability that it can be multi-use.

Of course it has its limitations and my car is 5 years old, so newer cars may have plugged the gaps mine leaves, but unless you are a wide-backsided fusspot, small cars are acceptable, just not the best possible solution for longer journeys - that would be a luxury car which would make your average Mondeo seem rather loud and crashy - its about acceptable degrees of ability in given situations.

Some of the latest superminis look like they have closed the gap to an extent that a larger car would offer few advantages.
Small cars - worth the bother? - Westpig
>>but unless you are a wide-backsided fusspot small cars are acceptable

that's me!.....:-)

Small cars - worth the bother? - Avant
I'd agree about the Fabia. If your budget is in bangernomics territory, you could look on Autotrader for a Peugeot 205. The most comfortable small cars we ever had were the two diesel 205s we had in the late 80s / early 90s (and the least comfortable was the 206 we had in 2000). These will be 15-20 years old but the design was sound: fins one that's been looked after and you could do well.
Small cars - worth the bother? - barchettaman
Fabia vRS - goes like the proverbial, delivers 50+MPG, smart, safe and not a bad cruiser either (6 speeds).
Smithsonian, give it a try.
Small cars - worth the bother? - b308
Just out of interest SS what were the superminis which were that bad?

I'd agree with the Fabia, though both mine were the estate version - smaller than the Focus/Astra HBs but more boot space and just as comfortable...
I've driven or ridden in both new & old yaris, new micra, mk2 clio, c1, old punto, mk2 corsa and probably a fiesta at some point.

I found them all inferior to the latest generation astra which rides and handles much more competently as is the case with any C or D segment car that I have driven.

They say the new corsa is a much better bet, problem is that a nearly-new example is more expensive than the equivalent astra. There again, a nearly-new vectra is cheaper still!

The old shape fabia is getting plenty of praise, is the 64bhp 1.2 not a bit underpowered though?
The old shape fabia is getting plenty of praise is the 64bhp 1.2 not a
bit underpowered though?

Yes it is! Though I understand that the engine comes in two forms, 6v and 12v, the 12v is supposed to be ok - I've driven the Fabia 1 with the 1.2 engine and the 1.4 8v and they are not a patch on the TDi 80 or 100.

I don't feel its fair to compare the mk2 corsa with anything new, and the C1 is a city car not a supermini, but the latest superminis are light years ahead of the older models. At the end of the day you are getting a car which is smaller than the Astra and will never quite match ride comfort for that reason, just as an Astra will never match a Rolls! Is it worth the bother? Well that depends on your requierments - servicing-wise I doubt there's much in it, but fuel wise the SMs are better and if you are strapped for room to park then the Astra is just too big! ;)
The 64 bhp won't break any speed records but provided you rev it it will not feel slow. The gutteral growl from the engine (it's a three cylinder) makes it sound quite sporty as well. As prviously stated get a 1.9 TDI in 100 bhp or 130 bhp vRS form and you will have a terrific car.
Small cars - worth the bother? - Andrew-T
>you could look on Autotrader for a Peugeot 205. <

Advice is correct (I have a 205) but I check A-T every few weeks - there will be precious few desirable 205s for sale IMHO (last made ~1995), and most of those will be GTis or automatics, which may not fit everyone's needs.
Small cars - worth the bother? - mike hannon
Isn't an Astra or a Focus a small car then?
Recently I have put quite a few kilometres on a Citroen C3 HDI. I guess that's a small car?
I found it to be an easy-to-drive, comfortable, practical, highly economical...shed
>Isn't an Astra or a Focus a small car then?<

The current Astra is certainly not a small car - it must be about 50% larger than the original Astra. I would call the Focus a Small Family Car (whatever that is exactly).
Small cars - worth the bother? - madf
In the last 20 years I have driven: Mercedes 260E, Jaguar XJ6 , a variety of 3 series BMWs, Fiesta, Audi A4 etc..
And now a Yaris diesle we have had for just over 2 years.

Surprisingly it seats 5 (yes really) in comfort.. is as comfortable as most of the above..(eases of access and high seats make it great) .. and is very economical to run ,tax and insure.
Speed humps are not nice but what's new?

So far 100% relieable - now 5 years old and no rust .

The OP's comments relate to a different era...

And yes I have driven non stop to Scotland in it: cruises happily at cough 70mph cough.

As for parking in town it's a doddle.

I would imagine the same goes for 90% of modern superminis?
Im not gonna advocate buying one, but I often read that the latest Renault Clio is a very cosseting small car. It certainly looks comfy from a distance.
Small cars - worth the bother? - movilogo
It's entirely a matter of perception.

In some parts of the world, whole family [= parents + child(ren) ] travel together in 2-wheelers with smiles on their faces.

I personally think most modern small cars are perfectly capable of doing day to day transport - be in inside town or motorways.

Most of them run fine at 80-90 mph.
>the latest Renault Clio <

.. is almost too big to be a 'small car' too.
Small cars - worth the bother? - zarqon
I started working from home 2 years ago and my Mondeo 2.2tdci sat on the drive going nowhere.
Eventually common sense prevailed and I sold it.

We now use Mrs Zarqon's Honda Jazz as our primary car - and for 2 adults 2 teanagers it has done everything we have asked of it.

It will potter round town or bomb down the motorway for 100 miles to visit the grandparents.

I wouldn't fancy a family holiday to France in it, but other than that its fine - these days we tend to book a cheap flight and hire at the other end anyway.

MPZ
Well I must be some kind of dinosaur. I have really tried to like small cars. I've even bought some on occasion telling myself that I would get used to it. I admit that they are fun enough, especially in the nip and tuck of urban environments. But, I have to say, give me a large, preferably, estate car every time please. They just do more. In fact they do everything.

Small cars - worth the bother? - mss1tw
They just do more.

Even to the gallon? :-P
Point taken but here's something to ponder on. At current prices, My wife's Ka uses £1047 worth of petrol to cover 10000 miles. My Mondeo diesel estate uses £1102 worth of fuel to cover the same distance. I know it's not as simple as that but I can live with the costs v the convenience. Each to their very own of course.....
I agree, superminis are very useful for urban motoring. However, this doesn't offset the crashing ride and hellish road and wind noise at speed that I have experienced in small cars.

Furthermore, the low gearing that makes for nippy progress in town is mind-numbing on a 80mph 'cruise', if I can call it that!
I think what is missing from the original question is the usage.

If you do 12k miles per year town and maybe A road driving you could get away with a supermini provided you can find one that you fit.

That is not meant as a dig, I have in the past driven many small cars, 206, 127, Uno, Punto, Nova to name but a few.
The most recent was an 08 Fiesta (not the brand new model) which I found uncomfortable due to the centre console pushing against my left leg and the tyre roar at motorway speed unacceptable. Funnily enough the 206 is regularly put down due to the offset pedals, I had absolutely no problem with the driving position.

Of course, the tyres can be swapped for smaller wheels, bigger profile but then if I am spending good money on a car, I do not expect to have to finish off the job on behalf of the manufacturer.

The other doubt I have is longevity of the mechanicals. You don't see many cars on the hard shoulder with the bonnet up these days and oils seem to greatly reduce engine wear but I can't help feel a small 1.0 to 1.3 engined hatchback will feel like it has done everyone of those 100,000 miles after a relatively short time whereas 2.0 engined cars and above wear their miles better.
Your sweeping generalisations suggest you have not been in enough different cars, let alone the most accomplished ones, to form a valid opinion.

Ive driven many small cars and this hellish wind noise and crashing ride, let alone low-gearing apply to the odd car, mainly from 10 years ago, but are nowhere near relevant in the majority of 2008 cars. Why would you even mention the mk2 clio, c1, old punto, mk2 corsa - all of these are two-three generations past aside from the C1 which is a purpose built city car.

If your going to make such an arguement, atleast go and drive the best available today rather than make sweeping statements based on outdated/poorly researched information.

This weekend, go drive the latest Fabia, Fiesta. Pug 207 and Renault Clio and perhaps the Fiat G.Punto aswell, then come back and give us an informed opinion.
This weekend go drive the latest Fabia Fiesta. Pug 207 and Renault Clio and perhaps
the Fiat G.Punto aswell then come back and give us an informed opinion.

Just stay away from the cars with 205/40x17 wheel and tyre combos otherwise I suspect they may emphasise a crashing ride and road/tyre noise.
With all due respect, sir, none of the cars you list could be quantified as 'small' in the proper sense of the term, with the possible exception of the Fabia which I have already acknowledged.
The Fabia is, give or take 10 cm, the same size as every other car in the class. Its smack bang in the middle - the Clio is shorter.
Small cars - worth the bother? - jase1
Speaking as someone who finds a Primera slightly cramped, there is no way anyone is going to persuade me that a small car would be adequate for my needs.

Focus-sized is about as small as I am prepared to go.
>the same size as every other car in the class.<

Exactly. None of these is a 'small' car any more. The Punto is even called Grande ...
Perhaps, but each class of car had grown in turn, so a Mondeo is now on the same scale as a Granada if not bigger, im sure it is heavier.

The only class of car that is about the same is city cars as they call them. Im still not sure what the size issue has to do with small car comfort - while the latest superminis are large in dimensions, they are not really much bigger inside than their older counterparts as they are designed with safety in mind and style which wasnt relevant years ago.
I'm sorry but this "small cars are no good for high mileages" is complete and utter carp - some of you "large car defenders" need to be more honest and just admit that you just don't WANT to downsize rather than say that smaller cars are somehow mega uncomfortable and other such rubbish!

We switched to a Fabia estate back in 2001 from a Vectra, for two adults and 2 teenagers its been fine, taking us all over Europe and doing 15k a year without any issues... in fact I remember going to Devon one day with a Mondeo owner and he couldn't believe just how comfortable it was...

I accept that there are some superminis that I wouldn't want to go long distances in and you have to be careful to choose the right engine (ours was the 1.9TDi), but as long as you do they are more than capeable cars.
Small cars - worth the bother? - Mapmaker
If 10 year old small cars are completely different from their modern equivalent, perhaps that's where the problem is.

1k will buy me a Mondeo estate from 2001, or a 1998 A6 with 100k on the clock. It might buy me a 1997 Micra with 50k on the clock (as they don't do the high miles they're not as cheap).

Why oh why would I want to buy a 1997 Micra which somebody above pointed out is a horrid car. Noisy, uncomfortable, poverty-spec.
Why oh why would I want to buy a 1997 Micra which somebody above pointed
out is a horrid car. Noisy uncomfortable poverty-spec.

>>

I wouldn't... except as a cheap urban runabout like I did when we bought my daughters 10 year old Polo 1.4L for just that purpose
I freely admit that my main motivation is quite simply that I don't want to downsize. I find my large estate cars more useful than smaller alternatives. It is much the same re house choice. More space gives more options. While I can afford it I shall have a larger car, they are indisputably more useful. For me anyway.

Not being disrespectful to small cars or their owners. If a small car fits their needs and lifestyle, good luck to them. It wouldn't fit as well with mine. Not sure why I am finding it necessary to excuse that......

I'm sorry but this "small cars are no good for high mileages" is complete and
utter carp

The question I posed was regarding the small engine, not the small car.
A 1.9 turbo diesel in a truly small car is the exception rather than the rule.
Most small cars are 1.4 litres and smaller, diesel and petrol. The question I asked is how these cars cope with six figure mileages ?

100k miles for a 1.9 turbo diesel in a Fabia is neither here nor there. I would imagine this engine really will just be getting into its stride about now with regular servicing.
However, what about front suspension. How is that coping with the extra weight and extra torque of such a relatively large lump in a small shell ? How does the tyre wear of this car compare with the 1.2 petrol ? Is it favourable in comparison with say a similarly engined Octavia ? Is there much difference in running costs between the two models ?

Edited by gmac on 24/10/2008 at 11:46

Small cars - worth the bother? - tawse
I have been doing a lot of car hunting in the last 3 months since my old car gave up the ghost. I have sat in Mondeo sized cars, big 4x4s and superminis.

I am 6 foot 2 inches tall with long legs.

I cannot fit comfortably in many of the so-called large cars because so any of them are tiny inside the cockpit. I can't get my legs under the steering wheel of a Landcruiser, nor a RAV4 nor an Avensis (Well at a pinch), nor a Corolla but I can fit comfortably, head and leg-room, in a Verso and a Yaris.

I cannot get my legs under the steering wheel of the latest Mondeo nor the Focus but can fit into a Ka fine. Likewise, the Vectra and Astra are pretty cramped but I have no problems with the Corsa. Most of the big Citroens are a no no but the C3 is fine. The Micra ain't too bad but the Qashqai is just ridiculous room-wise for my height and legs.

Golf is a no no but a Golf Plus is fine - oops, going the wrong way now.

I can list make after make where they perceived 'big' cars simply are no good for someone of my height and leg length but I am able to fit into their small or supermini sized vehicle. Part of the problem is all the knobs and levers on the steering wheels these days, the number of 'expensive' cars without an extendable steering wheel or simply not enough leg-room from seat to dash even with the seat lowered and pushed back as far as they will go.

The biggest problem though is the fashion to make these wider and wider and widr central consoles which take away leg-room and allow absolutely no-where for the left knee to go. Really bad design and I know many tall drivers who complain about this but, sadly, we never hear it mentioned in car reviews. Smaller cars do not seem to have this fixation with huge central consoles so perhaps that is why they have no room.

Alas, the small cars often have little room in the back so no good if you need to use them all the time and/or not much room to carry 'big' stuff.

I think the truth is that all the car makers are way behind the curve now in designing what people want. I think people want smalelr, more economical cars generally but such cars with more room. I personally think this is going to need a radical redesign of the styling with small car length combined with a much taller roofline... but then what for MPG?

Oh, all these 'big' cars with rear sloping roofs - it is bad enough trying to sit in the front of them but in the back is a joke. I was watching Richard Hammond on Top Gear in a C-Max working it as a taxi last week and a tall chap got in the back and his head was crammed against the roof. Nuts!

The question I posed was regarding the small engine not the small car.
A 1.9 turbo diesel in a truly small car is the exception rather than the
rule.
Most small cars are 1.4 litres and smaller diesel and petrol. The question I asked
is how these cars cope with six figure mileages ?

I would refer you to the OP which made no mention of engine sizes, just generalised, which is what I was replying to - I and some others pointed out the engine size point early in the thread - many superminis are powered by 1.6 petrols and 1.6 and higher diesels which are more than capable of high mileage as they are also found in the larger cars and do it in them - as to suspension - why shouldn't it - as long is its properly looked after?!

Humph, I commend you on your honesty!
Erm my Fabia vRs is turning at about 2500 rpm at 80 in 6th and believe me there is no crashing ride or excessive wind noise. I think you must have had a bad experience with Mini 850 Smithsonian.

I think you really need to go out and test drive a few of the latest Super minis before you make statements like this. Go and try a new Corsa,Clio, New Fiesta, Mazda 2, SEAT Ibiza, 207 etc and then come back on this site and give us the lowdown.

Edited by Mattbod on 24/10/2008 at 18:47

Small cars - worth the bother? - TheOilBurner
My problem with small cars is one of fear. I've owned lots of Mondeo and similar sized cars and only once tried to "make do" with an Astra. I simply found it too small. With a rear facing child seat in the back, Mrs Oilburner in the front was forced to have her seat squashed right up towards the dash and we struggled to get all our baby paraphernalia in the back.

I'd be willing to give it another go in the future and maybe try something smaller still, but my fear is that after investing lots of money into buying a car, if I find it is genuinely too small and I can't do what I need/want to do with it, then it will be wasted money and I'll be forced to trade it in for something large. Thus losing a small fortune in the process of changing it.

I know where I am with bigger cars, I don't need to worry about fitting stuff in - I know it will be OK.

I do like the look of the new Ibiza though. If I could find one with enough toys and the comfort and refinement was OK, well I might be tempted to swap the S80 for one...
Small cars - worth the bother? - Group B
I'll happily admit I have no reason and no desire to downsize.

The last small car I did 2 weeks of motorway driving in had an undesirable pitching feeling over undulations at speed, something Ive never noticed in a longer wheelbase car.

I've never been keen on small cars myself but especially not now I need a car for daily motorway commuting.
Its a case of fitness for purpose; my Mum has a Corsa for doing local journeys in and its perfectly adequate for her. She does not need anything bigger, more powerful or better appointed for the journeys she does. But its not my cup of tea.

For me VED is a small sum compared with the amount I pay in fuel duty and VAT on fuel, so I wouldnt dream of changing for that reason.

Size is useful, I can get 2 mountain bikes in the back without removing wheels or adjusting handle bars. Not to mention a washing machine, fridge freezer, 8 foot fence posts...
Size is useful I can get 2 mountain bikes in the back without removing wheels
or adjusting handle bars. Not to mention a washing machine fridge freezer 8 foot fence
posts...

Um, what do you drive Rich? I think I need to take a look at whatever model it is?
An old Saab 9-3 hatch; but a Vectra C will be the same or better?

That is with the rear seats folded down so no good when you have more than one passenger. With the seats up the boot is 3 times the size of a Corsas.

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 24/10/2008 at 13:33

An old Saab 9-3 hatch; but a Vectra C will be the same or better?
That is with the rear seats folded down so no good when you have more
than one passenger. With the seats up the boot is 3 times the size of
a Corsas.

Thanks.
Small cars - worth the bother? - davidh
>>Size is useful, I can get 2 mountain bikes in the back without removing wheels or >>adjusting handle bars. Not to mention a washing machine, fridge freezer, 8 foot fence >>posts...

All at the same time? :-p
All at the same time? :-p

Erm... No. ;o)
My BIL has a 1997 C class Mercedes estate.
My Yaris is more comfortable. - more legroom in the front.. (and rear with the seats pushed back).. with the seats set on high.

As for small diesel engines lasting, there are lots and lots of diesel 106s with well over 100k miles - see ebay.
And when looking for yaris (yarises? Yari?) I drove two with over 100k miles: ran very well.

I'm afraid cow excrement baflles brains ...
>Size is useful, I can get 2 mountain bikes in the back without removing wheels or adjusting handle bars. Not to mention a washing machine, fridge freezer, 8 foot fence posts...<

I remember getting a couple of kitchen worktops AND a complete greenhouse kit (glass and framing) in a Maxi about 30 years ago. That was a car before its time - the rear seat folded both ways so a long flat load space was available. Unfortunately the makers had poor quality control - tho I had several Maxis and didn't get a dud.
Whilst I agree that most modern superminis are very spacious and have good quality seats, this is not really the point I was trying to get at.

It's the problem of poor ride-quality and stability due to the short wheelbase and skinny tyres that I find troublesome on, say, the latest Micra and Yaris. Factor in crude suspension and low gearing and you do not have the perfect car for motorways and especially fast A & B roads.

Of course, everything that makes a car good a one particular job makes it utterly hopeless at another. Everything that makes a car good in the city makes it a pain elsewhere.

This is why I am so impressed by the latest generation of the best 'C' segment cars. Small enough not to be a nuisance in town, but wholly accomplished elsewhere too.

This is why I am so impressed by the latest generation of the best 'C'
segment cars. Small enough not to be a nuisance in town but wholly accomplished elsewhere
too.

C-segment - aren't they Passat, Mondeo, Avensis size? I would have thought they would be a nuisance in town, especially trying to park?

A is supermini right? And B is Focus size?
A - City car
B - Supermini
C - Small hatch
etc, etc.

At least I think this is correct? According to wikipedia it is anyway.

Edited by Smithsonian on 24/10/2008 at 18:13

Small cars - worth the bother? - Sofa Spud
I prefer medium sized cars for motorway and other long journeys.

Small cars are fine for two people but I do worry more about the safety of back seat passengers in the event of a rear-end shunt.

The way things are going, most people will only be able to afford to run small cars unless they do low mileages, in which case they might be OK with a gas guzzler bought at rock bottom price.
>>It's the problem of poor ride-quality and stability due to the short wheelbase and skinny tyres that I find troublesome <<

The tyres on my misses Kia are no narrower than my dads Astra.
Your idea of small cars seems to be at odds with what the industry considers small.

The Micra and Yaris are hardly the best of the best, why not pick the more accomplished models - its like saying all governments are rubbish because the Green party couldnt run a PTA meeting. If you want to slam the entire small car segment, atleast try them all first.
Ya know what, im going to go out Sunday and see if I can get a test drive of the crashy Clio, noisey 207 and maybe finish off with the Fabia with narrow wheels.

I curious to see just what level of rubbish is being talked here.
Of course the micra and yaris may not be the 'best of the best' but at least they are small cars. The reason the 207/clio/corsa are supposedly so good is because they are very grown-up small cars. They are basically just scaled down family hatches.

Traditional superminis like the yaris and micra are no such thing, they are superminis with the emphasis on the 'mini' rather than the 'super'.

I am only trying to make a point that they are not ideal for cross-country motoring so stop being so touchy 'stunorthants26'.
The Micra and Yaris fall in between city cars and the current supermini class in terms of size, so the are neither small enough to be clever in the city or big enough to be the most refined. Poorly positioned in the market really. Im not touchy, I just loath generalisations, esp when they arent backed up with a broad evidence base.

The fact is, a supermini is now coming in around the 4 metre mark, thats the way it is now and in that is what the market terms a supermini now.
Anything smaller I think you will find, will be replaced by a model closer to that size.

What you can deduce from that, is that a car around 4 metres is the smallest car you can get with real big car ability on the majority of fronts.

Occasionally some cars do suprise - Im suprised by how good mine is which is only 3.4M
long as it covers most bases adequately and is brilliant in several. Most small cars are poorly packaged though. The clue to good ride comfort, which I think mine has and ive read several comments to back it up, is a wheelbase the length of the car, which gives it the best possible chance.

To all advocates of small cars.
Have you ever had a toddler in the back of your car who is around two years of age, still in the first front facing seat ?
How did you cope with the shear size of the "safety" seat ?
How did you reason with a two year old to sit still for a five plus hour journey ?
What method of bribary did you employ to stop them kicking the stuffing out of the front seat directly in front of them ?

Edited by gmac on 25/10/2008 at 21:13

>>What method of bribary did you employ to stop them kicking the stuffing out of the front seat directly in front of them ?<<

I dont know but I have a customer with a Merc ML who has this trouble judging by the feet marks all over the back of drivers seat - its not a small car only problem.
Small cars - worth the bother? - daveyjp
Have you ever had a toddler in the back of your car who is around
two years of age still in the first front facing seat ?
How did you reason with a two year old to sit still for a five
plus hour journey ?
What method of bribary did you employ to stop them kicking the stuffing out of
the front seat directly in front of them ?

Gmac

We have an A3 Sportback and an Aygo. Our 2.5 year old is a regular passenger in the rear of both - both cars have a first forward facing car seat behind the passenger seat.

Both passenger seats are set so she can't kick the back of the passenger seat.

When I sit in the passenger seat I have more legroom in the Aygo than the Audi. In the Audi the passenger seat is so far forwards that when I'm driving it's difficult to use the handbrake as the seatbelt clip of the passenger seat gets in the way. No such problem with the Aygo.

The Audi is bigger due to a longer bonnet and more boot space. It seats five (just), but the Aygo has more legroom in the back.

Even in a Rolls a 2 year old wouldn't sit still for five hours, unless they were asleep.

Edited by daveyjp on 25/10/2008 at 22:23

So the Aygo has more interior space than a Golf/Focus/A3 size car. What then of boot space (see my post below)?
You say that you have your seat set so your toddler cannot reach the seat in front. I am not above average size (5' 11") and neither is my 2 year 9 month old daughter but I do know that for me to set the drivers seat so she cannot kick me from behind I will have my nose pushed up against the windscreen and do not want to think about the consequences of the drivers airbag deploying with me so close to the wheel.
I've tried an A3. My usual test is to get in the drivers seat then see if I can sit in the rear seat directly behind. The A3 does not get close. An Aygo might, but then with the rear seat set back, where is the double buggy, travel cot, and baggage for a family of four going to fit ?
OK, some people may ask how often do you travel fully loaded ? For us it's about five or six times per year covering 1k miles each way. On top of which, a local grocery shop includes crates.
>I am not above average size (5' 11")<

Unless you are Dutch I think you are certainly a few inches above the average ...
Small cars - worth the bother? - paulb {P}

OK, I don't particularly advocate small cars (in my view, people should buy whatever size car they consider they need/can afford, and respect decisions made by others in that regard) but it so happens that we own two Fiat Pandas at the moment, so I'll volunteer...
Have you ever had a toddler in the back of your car who is around
two years of age still in the first front facing seat ?

Yup - every day of the week. In fact, mine's nearly 3.

No problem installing them (Britax First Class and Britax Eclipse) at all - rock-solid once properly belted in. Only thing we had to do on the 100HP was take out the rear head rest on the passenger side (mainly because it is of a type that recesses into the seat when not in use, and wasn't needed anyway).
How did you reason with a two year old to sit still for a five
plus hour journey ?

Same as in any other size of car - you can't. Let's face it, 2 year-olds aren't really susceptible to reason in any situation. Interestingly enough, the worst-behaved that B Jr. has ever been on a long journey was when I still had the Mondeo. He's much better in the Pandas because the seats aren't as low and he can see out better. Plus I can always give him the road atlas to look at, he seems to like it.
What method of bribary did you employ to stop them kicking the stuffing out of
the front seat directly in front of them ?

None. Removal of shoes and threat of withdrawal of future chocolate buttons generally seems to work - not that it's much of a problem anyway.

Edited by paulb {P} on 26/10/2008 at 09:20

Small cars - worth the bother? - ndbw
Very worthwhile with the coming rates of VED.

ndbw
Talking of VED it is wrth remembering that many bigger cars have very low emissions now so will save you on road tax. Forgetting the awful Prius the cars that come to mind are the BMW 320D (128g/km) SEAT LEON Ecomotive (119g/km) its Golf cousin (Bluemotion) and the Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI. Therefore if you don't like small cars there are many bigger vehicles on the market now that are easy on the tax and the fuel. I know it's a default choice but I can inderstand why the 320d is so popular, it seems to tick every box and hopefully the downturn plus there being so many may make ownership a possibility before too long.
And if you want a fun car, the Mini Cooper diesel is a nice little car, I know someone who is delighted with one.
Re ride comfort it seems to me that today the comfort is affected more by use of stupid low profile tyres rather than spring settings - why an ordinary 1.4TDi Fabia needed 55 profile tyres is beyond me!

Mind you the same applies to the larger cars as well!
Wasn't this the point I was making above with the top of the range Fiesta running on 205/40x17 and the top of the range 207 running on 205/45x17's.
If people downsize from say an upmarket brand or class bigger they are not going to go for a bottom spec car. They will go for the car which will provide them with as close to what they are used to while downsizing to a lower VED group.
Problem is a 1.6 or whatever supermini on 205/4nx17 tyres is hardly going to be the last word in refinement.
I think the most unforgivable thing about todays 4m+, 1000kg+ superminis is that they are still available with engines only suited to their lightweight predecessors.

You can buy a corsa with a 1000cc 3pot even though it weighs the same a decent size family car of not so long ago.

I remember VW did (or still do) a base polo with a 54bhp 1.2! That was a barely acceptable amount of power 50 years ago, never mind today. Must be downright dangerous on M-way slip roads and for overtaking.
Most of the anti small cars on this thread is obviously written by people who never have been FORCED by neccessity to drive one.

Never mind, the next few years will force you to drive them.

I've had my fair share of small cars and once my children are old enough to sit in a seat provided by the maufacturer and not enforced by legistaltion then I may well return to a smaller vehicle.
At the moment I have two under three year olds with car seats which take up more space than a 15 stone man each.
We also take a travel cot for the youngest and double buggy into which both can fit.
On top of that you then fit the usual spare wheel, jack, wheel brace, warning triangle, spare bulb kit, safety jackets oh ! and usual luggage for a family of four and tell me which 207 or Polo will accommodate us all in reasonable comfort (includes space between front and rear seat where the toddler cannot kick the fornt seat - safety issue !!!).

Small cars are great when used for what they were designed for but one size does not fit all...

Edited by gmac on 25/10/2008 at 22:12

Doesnt the Fabia saloon have a big boot? I had a look at the new Fabia estate and that has a nice size boot.
Anyone remember the the Polo saloon of the 80's with its 19 cuft boot? Bigger than most exec saloon boots that was - almost entirely due to there being almost no trim in the boot so you got almost the entire width of the car aswell as decent length.
Is there a saloon ?
Just been to the Skoda website and can only see a 5 door hatch and an estate...
Yeah there is a saloon im sure of it, saw a road test, but not sure its been launched or if it will be, never know, the last model came as a saloon - I saw one today.
Yeah, I remember the polo saloon. At least it wasn't as ugly as the nova saloon! For some reason these 'supermini-saloons' are far more popular on the continent than they are here, most manufacturers don't bother importing them any more.
I understand why people find that modern small cars fit their needs. There is no doubt that a new shape clio/corsa will serve as a superb family runaround and urban commuter, with ample space for kids and clobber.

I think it is hugely dependant on what kind of driving you do whether a supermini makes sense. Up here in Scotland there are more quiet(ish) A & B roads of truly shocking quality that many have to travel on a daily basis, if commuting to Glasgow or Edinburgh from rural areas.

I guess many of you down south are used to a greater proportion of urban motoring and heavy congestion where a cars handling & performance are of little or no importance. I feel that up here, a car's dynamic abilities are more important, more of the time.
Fabia saloon was discontinued when they brought out the new one... the estate did everything the saloon did, but better hence they've not continued with it...

We had a 1.2 Nova saloon when we had our todlers, GMAC, you ought to try that sometime... half the problem these days with baby/child equipment is that its far too big and the manufacturers have persuaded you all that you need every gadget under the sun when you go out or on hols... I see it every day with the massive buggies that people try to get onto trains... even the old trains wouldn't have coped with them!

When going out or on holidays its all about compromise when you come to pack what you need, but these days that word doesn't seem to be part of people's volcabulary, they just want to take everything, reagrdless how badly designed/useless it is... perhaps if there is a credit crunch we may go back to the days when people just bought things they actually need, rather than what the shops have persuaded them they need?!
Small cars - worth the bother? - cjehuk
As a resident of the Glasgow area having started life in Sussex and Surrey I can completely agree with this. I find myself thinking that I really don't want to go back to the South East where it's just too crowded, too anti-social and too congested. I like that I almost never see traffic jams here (with the exception of the Kingston Bridge on the M8), that I can park almost anywhere without spending the earth to park and that the roads and scenery are truly stunning.

My real objection to owning a truly small car is that there are none that are properly quick and dynamic without being low geared boy racer specials. I've also never seen the benefit in fuel economy either. In the kind of driving I do (6-7 mile commute and otherwise trips of 30+ miles) I've always hovered around 50mpg in an A3 TDI and about 40mpg in the TT. I've driven larger vehicles like A4s and A6s and averaged not far off this region in both, albeit diesels in the A6 hovering around the 40mpg mark and A4s around 45mpg.

For me a small car is just too many compromises dynamically and performance wise and the gain in economy just isn't worth it in the world I live and drive in.
Totally agree. I return to Scotland on a regular basis for business trips. Apart from the major city centres which can become congested, driving is for the most part a pleasure. Driving around most of England isn't. If the Almighty would just turn the heating up a bit I'd move back in a heartbeat and close the gate behind me !

;-)
I was confused as to why nobody seemed to understand my gripe with superminis until I realised that they probably live in a much flatter, more urbanised part of the UK.

Of course the central belt of Scotland isn't exactly a remote wilderness, but pot-holed A & B roads that were last resurfaced when Adam was a lad are used as links by many to commute to the densely populated centres.

It is in this scenario, where you have fast-flowing high-volume trafffic on poor quality roads that a short wheelbase supermini with 165 tyres feels desperately out of its depth. The combination of low power and low grip means keeping up with the flow of traffic is quite tiresome, factor in some wind and rain (not uncommon up here) and you have a fairly miserable experience.

All you southerners may think that the winding country roads would be great fun, well they are but not at rush hour!
Ever thought about a camel, or perhaps a donkey? :-) Lack of speed would be made up by taking a more direct route! Easy to park too!
Small cars - worth the bother? - Pugugly
Yeah - but high CO2 emissions.
Never tried one, but hear that they roll a bit like a boat... so like small cars they won't suit everyone!
Small cars - worth the bother? - Gerry Nimmo
Must be honest, after my experiences with Yarises (Yari?) I've been wondering the same thing. Simply too cheap and too compromised by the looks of things.

A decent 2 year old Focus is probably the right answer.