99 1.8 Rocker cover gasket leak query - jp147
I have read that rocker cover gasket oil leaks do no always produce a noticeable drop in the level on the engine oil dipstick. But surely after some time a motorist would notice a drop in the level ?

Also what would I look out for under the bonnet e.g. fresh oil marks, to alert me to a problem ?

My main worry would be apart from losing oil, that the timing belt and asscociated components could become contaminated, but I suppose that depends on which end of the engine the leak is coming from ?

Also if the oil level does go down on the dipstick, it doesn't necessarily mean there are any leaks does it.

Thanks

99 1.8 Rocker cover gasket leak query - Lud
All engines use some oil although most modern ones in good condition use very little. So if the level goes down a bit in several thousand miles it is nothing to worry about. But if it goes down a lot in just a thousand there may be a problem. Of course if the oil is left unchanged for too long it will deteriorate and be used more quickly as well as protecting the moving parts less efficiently.

If there is a leak from the cambox gasket it should be apparent, although if it's at the back of the engine you may have to look for it. Another place for leaks is the oil filter, if it is fitted too tight or not tight enough or if the sealing ring is twisted.
99 1.8 Rocker cover gasket leak query - mfarrow
If you're loosing a noticable amount of oil (as you are), solely through the rocker cover, then you'll notice it on your driveway.