Just back from new Jazz launch - andyfr
I had heard that the local dealer was going to be getting the new Jazz today so I phoned this morning and found out that the launch was going to be in a local hotel just outside town.

First impressions are favourable. Very well put together, nice finish and comfortable seats. We didn't have time to go for a test drive as we were on our lunch break but we will book one in the New Year when the i-Shift is out to see what that is like.
Just back from new Jazz launch - tawse
Oh, so the i-shift is not even available yet? That seems a tad amiss IMPO as my local dealer has been going on about the launch of the Jazz being delayed until now so that Honda had enough Jazzes in the country to cope with, ahem, demand.

How did you find the room behind the steering wheel re head height and thighs under the steering wheel.
No the i-Shift isn't out until January. I found the space fine as the steering wheel adjusts for height and reach just like my CR-V. I found the headroom fine, much better than the new Fiesta.
Well, I was waiting to give the i-shift a go before buying but I have put off buying a car for 3 months now. Having said that I think HJ is the only reviewer to give a positive review of the i-shift, although I do trust HJ's reviews over other reviews, but I was hoping to get some kind of auto in my next car as I am fed up changing gear in crawling city traffic.

Appears my local dealer is having a drinsk do tonight from 7PM onwards to launch it. A big part of me really wants to love this car but I have to say I banged my head everytime getting in and out of the previous model.

I am going to start a website campaigning for taller small cars!

Edited by tawse on 17/10/2008 at 16:17

I can't remember whether or not it has a height adjustable seat and I didn't think to look.
Just back from new Jazz launch - Bill Payer
I can't remember whether or not it has a height adjustable seat and I didn't
think to look.

All models have height adjustable driver seat.

The current Jazz can be a problem for people with very long legs as the seat doesn't push back that far. I'm exactly 6' with probably pretty average length legs and it's fine for me.

Re the launch - considering all the emails and letters we've had from both Honda and our local dealer about new Jazz, and the fact that we've owned a Jazz for 5yrs and always had it serviced at the supplying dealer, I'll be somewhat miffed not to be invited to the launch!
Just back from new Jazz launch - Dulwich Estate
We've had ours 5 years plus, had one indy service at 4 years and then went back to the main dealer for the next service because his price was comparable.

They've phoned us and since written asking us to come along today and offering a 24 hour test drive too.

We're playing hard to get!
Just back from new Jazz launch - brum
If I had a flat cap or bus pass, then I'd probably be drooling.

But I am still full of life and don't need to drive around in a baked bean can yet.
If I had a flat cap or bus pass then I'd probably be drooling.

My brother takes the mickey out of me mercilessly about it (it's actually wifey's car, I have a Merc but only use it for long journeys).

Interesting that in the Far East and even in Australia, they seem to be regarded in same way Saxo's etc are here and are often driven and heavily modified by young lads.
Just back from new Jazz launch - Alby Back
Pletty landom then eh ?

;-)
My dealer just redeemed themselves by emailing to invite me to their new Jazz launch weekend.

I emailed back and asked them to let me know when British assembled models will be available.
My dealer just redeemed themselves by emailing to invite me to their new Jazz launch
weekend.
I emailed back and asked them to let me know when British assembled models will
be available.

Is Chinese quality control not as good as ours?
Just back from new Jazz launch - Pendlebury
I'm afraid the Chinese stereo-typing tends to kick in, although anybody flying to med in the next couple of years may well be doing so on a Chinese built Airbus powered by engines with Chinese built parts, so anyone thinking Chinese quality control is poor may have to think again. I wouldn't upset them too much either as we may be asking them to bail us out soon. Remember while we have just gone another £500Bn in the red bailing out the banks, they are sat on $2 trillion dollars of surplus and already own most the USA's debt.
You will be telling me next that the Indian's don't know how to make Jaguars or Range Rovers.
anybody flying to med in the next couple of years may well be doing so on a Chinese built Airbus

No they won't.

I'm involved in manufacturing and the only reason Airbus will assemble in China is to win Chinese orders (Boeing does the same).

The Chinese are capable of good quality but the control and monitoring of it is so burdensome that companies that go out to China for manufacture often end up bringing it back again.
I agree that the current factory will mainly be used to supply planes for the Chinese market but you forget all the parts currently manufactured in China that are used on planes and in engines flying around the rest of the world today. I also don't believe for a minute that the factory will only be used for this purpose in the future. Anyone who does is being a tad foolish IMO. It will be the same for cars. Honda certainly had a some minor quality problems to start with but the cars are as good as any now.
I am interested to hear what companies are pulling out of China now though Bill ?
Just back from new Jazz launch - NowWheels
I wouldn't upset them too much either as we may be asking them to bail us out soon.

We have already. The huge bailouts in Europe and the USA come from borrowed money, and in the current global economy it's the Chinese who have the cash surpluses to do this sort of lending.

Like it or not, economic power has been shifting eastwards for some time, and one under-reported aspect of the current crisis is the extent to which it marks another big jump in that transfer of power.
Is Chinese quality control not as good as ours?

err...generally no. I'm sure Honda is trying to create an island of quality there but Jazz has sold significantly on its high quality Japanese manufacture.

It's a bit of cheek to move it to China but still charge Japanese prices. Chinese made stuff is unavoidable for some things, however I just don't want to be buying something of such high value (I mean compared to £20 DVD players or £5 toys) which is imported from China.

Assembling Jazz in the UK (promised for later in 2009) at least brings some value to the UK economy.
I disagree Bill - that is like saying that Burnaston and Swindon built cars are of lower quality because they are built in the UK. And previous to that, the height of our car making days was making superb quality cars from British Leyland and Rover !!
China is commonly known for making tat and that is because people do not understand what else they do. Do you really believe they have made an economy as strong as they have got just making plastic dolls - come on Bill - there is much more to them than that.
I disagree Bill - that is like saying that Burnaston and Swindon built cars are
of lower quality because they are built in the UK.

I'd prefer that everyone in the UK bought UK built products wherever possible. Let's keep each other in jobs.

However, selfishly, as I'll be buying the car with my own money, and therefore running the repair risk myself, I'd be most happy if Jazz was still made in Japan.
I agree with you entirely there Bill.

Thanks HJ - my main interest in the i-shift is more to do with having an auto when in traffic rather than the VED although the lower the VED the better. I would buy an auto in something else but the 'something else' isi usually a lowe MPG petrol and/or future high VED which, sadly, has put my dreams of my next car being an auto out of the window.

I am having bizarre experiences with the old model Jazz at present - the one on my niehgbour's drive a few doors away looks almost as big as his his A6 when parked side by side but when I am out and about the on-road Jazzes seem tiny when compared alongside other cars on the road. Must be some kind of Japanese spacial stuff going on that would be more at home in Star Trek.

Edited by Honestjohn on 18/10/2008 at 21:27

I would buy an auto in something else but the 'something else' isi usually
a lowe MPG petrol and/or future high VED which sadly has put my dreams of
my next car being an auto out of the window.

My next door neigbour just bought a year old 10K 1.8VVTi petrol Astra Design auto for £7500. The car lists at over £18K new. I know it's pretty different to Jazz and will have worse MPG and higher VED, but I would bet for many users the overall cost vs Jazz wouldn't be any worse, and may well be a lot better.
as big as his his A6 when parked side by side

How odd - A6 is huge by comparison. Are you sure he hasn't got a Honda Stream. :)
Just had an email from local dealer telling me that UK models of new Jazz are being made in Japan, not China.

That's good news (assuming its true) - everything else I've read said it was coming from China, same as the current model.
Just back from new Jazz launch - Buster Cambelt
Yep, me too and I'm a 1.4 EX poorer!

Edited by Buster Cambelt on 18/10/2008 at 20:35

Is the i-shift orderable now for delivery in Jan or will it only be orderably from Jan for delivery when? Anyone know? You guys who bought a manual today what delivery timescales did they give to you?

Out of interest, why simply opt for the manual and not wait to at least try the auto? Just curious.
Two week delivery, Honda seem to have decent stocks for the launch. We were given a choice of about a dozen EX models, the only colour that wasn't available was metallic pink.
the only colour that wasn't available was metallic pink.

I bet you were gutted. ;)
Yes, SWMBO wanted and got a sort of blackberry colour, I'd call it dark purple but I'm sure some marketeer has dreamed up a daft name.
Yes SWMBO wanted and got a sort of blackberry colour I'd call it dark purple
but I'm sure some marketeer has dreamed up a daft name.

I think it will be the one called Deep Violet Purple. Let us know when you get it, I'm sure lots of us will be interested on what it's like on a day to day basis.

Edited by andyfr on 19/10/2008 at 09:33

Is the i-shift orderable now for delivery in Jan or will it only be orderably from Jan for >> delivery when?

I don't know if it could be ordered now. They may take provisional orders but I would have thought most people would want to have a test drive in an i-Shift Jazz before placing an oerder.

Although we will have a test drive as soon as we can we won't buy until the spring as the roads up here (Highlands) usually have snow, slush and salt in abundance until then. That's what my CR-V is for. :)

Edited by andyfr on 19/10/2008 at 09:21

Just back from new Jazz launch - KB.
Suggestion to the mods. Do you think it's worth combining the two current Jazz threads given that the Jazz is just breaking cover and may well be of interest to a number of people. Just a thought?
Just spent half an hour or so at local Honda dealer. Salesman was not pushy and did his job without being intrusive whilst looking around the, 1.4 Metallic ES Jazz. He was right when he said that if you put them side by side and look at the exteriors you might think the new one was just a face lift but that the new one is, in fact, quite new and more like a ?mini Civic?. It struck me that it is a definite step up from the original and I?d agree with the positives cited on the other current Jazz thread. I didn?t spend ages scrutinizing details but did come away feeling I would be very happy with one and getting in to the old one did feel like getting in to something older and less up-market ? however?..the salesman made several pertinent observations ? not least of which was that he felt Honda has made life hard for him with regard to the gearbox and the emissions statement. He was embarrassed that they had broadcast the, now well discussed, erroneous CO2 figures having, himself, told prospective customers about the £35 a year banding on the I-Shift as well as the 1.2 and now felt he had misled people. He was even less happy that Honda has ?foisted? upon him (and us, of course) the I-shift box. He?s been told, and he holds hope, that the new Jazz box will be better than the Civic one because he says, with regret, that if you compare the Jazz CVT with the Civic I-Shift there?s a world of difference and how much easier it is to use the CVT?..the creep and similarity to a conventional autobox makes driving it much more relaxed and just plain ?straightforward?. He says, when cold, manoeuvring the I-shift is patently tricky in confined spaces and called it jerky and said up changes during firm acceleration were much less smooth than the CVT. He wasn?t happy. He went to say that discounts on the old one are readily achievable from him for those without PX. I mentioned discounts and I plucked a figure of £1100 discount out of the air and he was happy to offer that and said there was plenty in hand in order to shift stock and I see that £1417 is currently knocked off a 1.4 SE CVT at Drivethedeal. He said there are large stocks of the old model at present in most colours ? manual and CVT. I would prefer the new one without a doubt but have been put off the I-shift until I can drive one?.and by then I don?t know how the stocks of the old one will be. There will, of course, be more newish old model PX?s in coming to dealers from those who do buy the new model so I guess there will be deals to be done for a while yet and £11,188 for a brand new metallic SE CVT is something to consider.
Just spent half an hour or so at local Honda dealer. Salesman was not pushy
and did his job without being intrusive

Thanks for that. Perhaps I'm reading too much into your comments, but doesn't sound like the dealership was busy?

Aroud where I live (Chester) there are, unusually I think, two Honda dealers, and both are well regarded. The result is that Jazz is very popular around here and you can find yourself in little Jazz convoys! I haven't been to look at new Jazz but would have expected the dealers to be buzzing.
£11,188 for a brand new metallic SE CVT is something to consider.

I had a newish CVT a month or so ago as a courtesy car and it certainly is effortless driving. I was quite impressed by how well it rode too - a lot better than our 2003 model, even though ours was supposed to have been altered from when Jazz was first sold here. I really hated the big button silver radio/cd set that dominated the dashboard though - looks like an Amstrad installation from many years ago.

I've never been sure on the value of Jazz though. We also have a Mitsubishi Colt on our "fleet" - it does the same job in just the same way as the Jazz (ours is 5dr so looks almost the same, and we got a/c) but costs about £7K. And you get an intermittant rear wiper - my pet hate with the current Jazz! I think we may well buy another Jazz, but I'm doubtful it really makes financial sense.
Was the dealer busy?....Er ..no, almost had the place to ourselves and the salesman had plenty of time to take us out in the CVT with no time constraints. Regarding other options, upcoming models include the i20 Hyundai, the 5door, 5seat, Fiat Qubo (with petrol and diesel options which include a semi auto 6 speed box) and am I right in thinking the revised Colt is about to be released? A 1.9 Diesel Roomster "2" with metallic is £10,600 on the site I mentioned earlier (won't keep repeating the name).........so there are options to consider.
am I right in thinking the revised Colt is about to be released?

Yep - there are some details already in CBCB.

Colt is nothing like the quality of Jazz, but the CZ1 5dr with a/c is available for around £7k. Maybe the new Colt will be dearer at first, but I'm struggling to convince myself that Jazz is worth 50% more.
Was the dealer busy?

I was quite surprised that they were, although it was at the launch venue rather than in the showroom. My wife and I were the youngest there, apart from the salesmen, which is quite a novelty these days. ;)

I had always teased my wife that you couldn't buy one unless you had a blue rinse or a bus pass but I have to say that the new Jazz is very nice.
My wife and I were the youngest there

Average age of Jazz owner is 63. We're somewhat younger than that (and we've had the car for 5yrs) and there's a youngish couple near us who have one too. However I suggested my daughter got one as her first car and she was appalled! She got an Ibiza instead.

The idea of making the latest Civic look quite radical was to appeal to younger owners, but apparently their feelings towards it were unchanged and older people hated the new look. Oops!
Maybe Honda should have renamed it the 'Fit' like in the US?
It's not called 'Fit' in Europe because of what the word 'fit' means in Swedish.
HJ

This will have me rushing off to babelfish! :-)
Maybe Honda should have renamed it the 'Fit' like in the US?

Not sure of the ownership demographic in the US, but certainly in Australia (where it's called Jazz) and the Far East it would appear to have much younger ownership - they have a more powerful version there too.

www.ozhonda.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33 is quite interesting. Funny how the spec varies - in Oz they're devastated that the car has side indicators on the front wings and not in the mirrors. UK models have them in the mirrors.

Maybe Honda should bring out a Type R Jazz, but that could possibly alienate the older drivers.
I had a look at the new Jazz last night, walked into my local showroom, walked up to the Jazz sat square in the centre of the showroom with all its doors and hatch open and sat in it.

"Wow!" I thought to myself. "This has loads of headroom". My legs almost fitted under the steering wheel too but, knowing that the new Jazz has a telescopic wheel, I fumbled around underneath it to raise and pull out the wheel - no luck. I was sat in the old Jazz.

The new Jazz was almost hidden at the back of the showroom between two CRVs. It was in a dark blue colour which did not make it look at all attractive. I sat in it and my head was touching the ceiling - well, the sunroof. It was an EX model in the showroom.

Interestingly, unlike many cars with sun-rooves the new Jazz does not seem to lose much 'depth' by having one. Nevertheless, my head touched the roof or the glass. I tried lowering the seat but the seat was as low as it woudl go anyhow - the new Jazz appears to have much thicker seat bolsters, is that the right word, than the old Jazz and so any additional height you might get in roofline is lost by these thicker seats.

Also, it would have been impossible for a youngish child to sit behind me let alone a full grown adult. The boot space looked good though but it was noticeable, for a tall person such as myself, the older Jazz certainly had more room. Pity it does not have a telescopic steering wheel.

Oh, and the new Jazz, as does many cars these days, seems to have acquired the stupidity of having a central console which digs into the left thigh/knee of any driver who has longish legs. For some bizarre reason the central console, for seemingly no reason, seem to bulge and curve up in a semi-circle right where you left thigh or knee would be. I am seeing this bad design on more and more new cars and can only assume that it is a global conspiracy by short designers of cars - I have lost count of the number of tall people who have complained about this but, alas, it appears to never bea consideration in any car review other than sites like tallclub!

A friend of similar height to myself also ried both Jazzes and the found the old one to have more room but we both concluded, for chaps of our height, dropping down to a supermini is just a no no. Height taxes!!!!

One last comment, have to say that my local dealer almost seemed embarassed to be selling the new Jazz. IMPO they should have had it 'out there'.

One last, last comment - IMPO the new Jazz is perhaps an 11K car for the top of the range model but certainly not nearly 14K. It just did not look worth anywhere near that and if I was after a supermini, and could fit in one, I think I would be buying a pre-reg Micra or Yaris from a supermarket for 6Kish.

After we left the Honda place we drove down to a curry house, parked in the car-park next to a new model Yaris which looked a much more substantial car than the new Jazz - in fact, it was almost as long as my mate's previous model Avensis and noticeably higher in the roofline. Actually, the Yaris made the Avensis look odd so big did the Yaris appear but that's another story for tales from the riverbank... :-)
I'm surprised to hear that the dealer has got the new Jazz at the back of the showroom. I know it's only been out a couple of weeks but they would normally put the latest model in a prominent position.

Just before the new Fiesta was launched the local dealer had one right at the entrance of the showroom. I had a sit in it but it seemed very cramped to me and had a very small boot.
I'm surprised to hear that the dealer has got the new Jazz at the back
of the showroom. I know it's only been out a couple of weeks but they
would normally put the latest model in a prominent position.

I could not believe it either. As I say, when I walked into the showroom there was a silvery grey Jazz sat bang in the centre of the showroom, doors and hatch fully open, and Civics, CRVs, Accords, etc, more or less displayed around it as if it was the centre of attraction.

So I naturally hopped into it assuming it was the new one. My mate did likewise and it was only when, as I have never been in a Jazz before, that I tried to 'pull out' the steering wheel that I realised it was the old one. I then had to have a scout around the showroom until I found the new one between two CRVs with no marketing blurb to announce that this was Honda's latest offering. It was also in this drab metallic navy blue also which did nothing for the car unlike the lighter blue that HJ had in his video review.

Perhaps they are trying to get rid of the old model?
Read today that Amethyst Motor Group, which has Honda dealerships in Cheltenham, Gloucester and Chippenham, has ceased trading.

Would have though that was prime Honda territory too.
I also just got back from local Honda dealer. The Amethyst post above will remind me to take care if ordering new from dealer regarding deposit. I'm reasonably close to ordering an old shape Jazz SE CVT . A broker online that I've referred to elsewhere wants £11,172 inc. metallic and 12 months tax and, I guess, a gallon of petrol. Dealer's best including years tax and tank of petrol is £246 more and says that it's absolutely the best figure. There are pro's and con's insofar as the Broker has come up with the best price and I trust them to do as promised (have been going a long time and is recommended by HJ and I had good experience with them 5 years ago).......but the dealer is local and I would obviously prefer to support local service and esablish some sort of relationship. For servicing the dealer will provide courtesy car etc. with or without a sale so at present I'm not sure which way to jump. We're talking about £246 here. Dealers price is £11,460. 'If' we squeezed a bit more would that make it worth placing the order then and there? Vehicle has to be registered in 2008 - couldn't defer it till January to get advantage of 2009 reg. Any thoughts to help with a decision? Thanks.
I would get it from the local dealer for that small difference. I have travelled over 500 miles to get the best price but the saving was over £2,500 on a new CR-V, we just incorporated the collection into our holiday. If our local dealer had been within £400 they would have got the deal.

I wouldn't let the registration come into it as it will still be the old model so come trade in time won't really make any difference at all.

Why are you going for the old model?

Edited by andyfr on 01/11/2008 at 07:45

Support the local dealer and he'll still be there.....
Support the local dealer and he'll still be there.....

Pay the deposit with a credit card though - just in case....
For the £250 difference I would go local also as they will be happier when you have a problem under warranty and pop round there.

Having said that, I have seen 1 year old low mileage Jazzes for sale by private traders for as little as 6.5K so if I was going for an old model Jazz I would get on autotrader and have a good look.
Thanks..........Note advice re. buying locally. Andyfr - Preferred the old model primarily due to CVT rather than I-shift. The higher than usual discount will, presumably, be countered by the fact that it's a run out model and will lose more money than was usual with a Jazz - plus the general drop in used prices. Have seen some year old models on Autotrader at prices which make me think twice about buying new. There are also 2008/58 and 2008/08 CVT's in metallic with 10 or 20 miles on the clock at £10,500 to £11,000.....and I'm talking about £11,460 from the dealer or less at D.T.Deal. as posted earlier.
I would also keep an eye on motorpoint - they have delivery mile non-CVTs for 10K.

Tawse - see what you mean. Has to be CVT though ...and it does say (as is no surprise)......All prices exclude Road Fund Licence and a First Registration Fee at the current rate where applicable. Vehicles are supplied with balance of manufacturers warranty where available. Vehicles may not be to UK spec. Specification subject to confirmation on inspection. You may not be the first registered keeper. An optional preparation service is available for an additional £62.13..........so if you consider the aforegoing, plus the fact that CVT adds about £1000 to the advertised price of £10k then I don't think we're in business there. Appreciate the thought though.
It is a pity that they did not keep the CVT on the new Jazz - oh, and make it more able to cope with tall guys :-) - as CVT engines make a lot of sense to me.

Are you in a hurry to buy or can you wait till mid-Jan - I would expect to see lots of deals on cars coming in the next couple of months as sellers get desperate. Perhaps Honda have loads of old model Jazzes to get rid of which may well find themselves at car supermarkets and online discounters in the coming weeks?

Have you tried ringing Carfile? I found the chap who runs it very knowledgeable and helpful when I was considering a few cars.
Haven't thought of ringingCarfile - haven't seen the name for years - was his name Pat something? Not in a hurry - quite the opposite but am aware that if I do want a new unregistered one then stocks will run out (being the old shape). There could be loads - or not - Neither DTD or dealer will/can say what stocks there are of the colour in question so feel a bit pressured to buy soon to get new one in right colour or wait, as you say, and have a pre reg. one in Jan. PS. Just looked up Carfile. Pat still shown. Sent an email enquiry. Thanks.
Just back from new Jazz launch - Falkirk Bairn
7 years ago the then Civic had up to £5K off the £15K Aerodeck to clear old stock.

Drop into your local Honda and ask them to look for an odd colours, how many, how long to get delivery.... make a story that you really want an old model but cannot buy/commit till Jan/Feb and see how many are showing!
When the new CRV they came out they continued selling the old model for ages afterwards albeit at more or less the same price. I recall reading a review on the TG site of the CRV and they advised buying a slightly used old model CRV for about 13K which was many thousands less than the new asking price.