02 2.0 110hp diesel - Antipollution & ESP Fault - John Willy
Expert help please - What "repair" should be done next?

Current Faults : Anti-Pollution and ESP lights - reduced power and limited to 2,700 rpm
Current Codes : P0243, P1148, P1425 and U1209
These were determined by Peugeot who also cleared faults and counters

Background Information :-

Engine Control - EDC15C2-1X

Work done prior to above: Eloys replenished, FAP steam cleaned, wheel sensor replaced

Initial Codes : 0243, 0571, 1147, 1435, 1442, 1446, 1447, 5236 and D208 and 41?
These were determined by an independant garage using KTU (I think) diagnostics

Thanks in advance for any useful help

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/10/2008 at 11:08

02 2.0 110hp diesel - Antipollution & ESP Fault - Screwloose
JW

OK; lots to cover there; first, can you just confirm that "RHS" appears in your VIN number.

P0243 is an error in the boost control solenoid's circuit - limp-home is a certainty with that one active. Check the solenoid's resistance; the boost sensor for function and the actual boost level. [That can be an extrapolated code and have many root causes - including a coked turbo.]

P1148 is still a blocked FAP code; either cleaning was ineffective; [common if it's been left too long] or the pressure sensor has failed/corroded/been drowned. The pressure needs watching in live data to determine what's going on.

P1425 refers to the downstream cat/FAP temperature sensor; either an incorrect signal, or an implausible relationship with the upstream temp sensor. The sensors are fragile and easily damaged.

U1209 is a network/data code - ignore for now. [Might have been set by P0571 - brake pedal sensor contact; no communication. Was the switch changed?]
SL - thanks for the response and I'm no expert so please excuse some ignorance

P0243 - boost control solenoid and sensor. Are they attached to the turbo? - I can't find any reference in Haynes
I think the turbo is still working because I still get a boost at 2000rpm when the turbo "comes in" (although much less than before the faults)

P1148 - pressure sensors. Are these at the other end of the tubes attached to the Cat/Fap? These tubes weren't removed during cleaning so might have or have had water within them - could this be what you refer to as drowned?

P1425 - The Cat/Fap temperature sensor was removed before cleaning - handled carefully but could have been damaged. Where is the upstream sensor? - no mention in Haynes

U1209 - No switch has been changed - but I did have a check to ensure the connections tight (assuming this sensor is at the pedal)

Thanks again JW
JW

Please answer the RHS question first. It determines what system and sensors are fitted, what components are where and saves me a lot of time guessing at all the permutations of what you've got. There is no "standard" FAP system.

The boost [or turbo control] solenoid is on the solenoid plate on the front of the engine.

The differential pressure sensor is connected to the two tubes on the FAP. Often water damaged - most garages fit a new one as a matter of course with a new FAP. [Don't know why your dealer is still messing about with half-measures - just causes these never-ending nightmares.]

If this is a single temp sensor one; then just read it's data to see what's happening.

As P0571 has disappeared; you may have sorted it - possibly. It is on the pedal.

SL - Sorry "RHS" is in the VIN

JW
Hi SL

Examination of the solenoids - I found a broken wire on the (from the front) lower left solenoid - repairing tomorrow - will report status when done
SL

Work Done - repaired wire to solenoid (presume this will have elimated P0243)

Current Fault Light - Engine only

Observations - Engine light is on from start-up and is accompanied by Anti Pollution Fault, engine will rev beyond the previous 2700rpm, ESP/ASR light is OFF from start-up but will sometimes re-appear when revved to about 4000rpm and this reinstates max revs to 2700rpm. Switch off and start engine again to give Engine Fault Light only

Next plans - borrow an AV meter to test solenoids/temperature probe etc from Monday on. Replace Cat/Fap pressure sensor (when I trace it)

Well you're getting somewhere; the only thing that should affect the ESP is the brake sensor?

The differential pressure sensor is under the battery. Follow the hoses from the FAP.
02 2.0 110hp diesel - Antipollution & ESP Fault - chris_h16

Did you find out the cause of this? I have a smiliar problem.  When the car gets revved too much it throws up the esp/asp light and antipollution faults and limits the revs. Once the engine is stopped and restarted its ok and left with just antipollution and engine management light then they dissappear a little later in the jounrney. Error codes i believe where camcrank sync and turbo pressure low.

Edited by chris_h16 on 29/03/2010 at 14:43

02 2.0 110hp diesel - Antipollution & ESP Fault - maddoguk

Did you find out the cause of this? I have a smiliar problem.  When the car gets revved too much it throws up the esp/asp light and antipollution faults and limits the revs. Once the engine is stopped and restarted its ok and left with just antipollution and engine management light then they dissappear a little later in the jounrney. Error codes i believe where camcrank sync and turbo pressure low.

Hi chris_h16 this is exactly what is happening to me the main dealer says I need a new FAP and additive filling up £799 I only paid £1500 for the car as a cheap run around!! After reading the forums I don't trust the diagnosis (I don''t want to believe it) Did you find the cause in the case of your Pug?

02 2.0 110hp diesel - Antipollution & ESP Fault - passy0401

hi i am new to this forum, can i ask for your help/oppinion on my 307 sw (2 ltr hdi)

i keep shutting down into limp home mode with anti pollution faults and esp faults.i have plugged it into lexia 3 (pp2000) and it keeps comming up with esp cannot cummunicate with ecu (pp2000 unknown and ecu is being referenced) it looks to have lost comms somewhere, i have checked all fuses, abs ecu has been sent away to be tested and has come back with no faults, rear a.b.s sensors have been changed and still no joy.It will not even allow me to do peramiter check (live data), it allows me to read faults and just says unable to respond with ecu (i click into to info) and it is all happening when car is stationary), just to add aswell car did have a bump on front passenger side wheel and damaged wishbone (which has been replaced and i have re calibrated steering angle sensor)

also when i plug diagnostics into car and it keeps comming up with wrong vin number and i have to cahnge it (otherwise the diagnostics thinks it's a 307 van) i ave to change it to hrh. then it will come up with single chassis car.

the fault codes i am getting with anti pollution is mainly to do with turbo pressure and are all intermitant (i am sorry but i can not remember all fault code details to hand)

i have done a forced regen on particular filter on exhaust, topped up ely fluid(which is still showing too low on diagnostics, even though i put 2ltrs in), reset counters on ely fluid ecu. pressure differential sensor has been changed (as old one got water inside and nakered sensor) for some reason aswell upsteam and downstream sensors don't add up (reading quite off from each other) even when car is cold (reading 156 degrees c)

could you please help? kind regards danny