1989 1990/6 Fuel injection air valve running with - Sparker
My Motronic equipped M20 engined 320i has an unusual problem that I would like some advice on please.

The air valve, on top of the engine and just before the induction manifold, with a small multi-pin plug powering it, is constantly running even when the ignition is switched off. You can hear a faint buzzing noise and when you touch it, it is vibrating gently. If I leave the battery connected between runs, this fault soon flattens the battery.

The car has been off the road for about six months. In that time, the battery was disconnected. When I came to reconnect the battery, this symptom manifested itself. The car has now been running quite a bit since then - it has been for and passed it's MOT prior to me selling it (hopefully) very shortly!

My first thought is that the fault lies somewhere upstream of the valve, with a sticking relay or similar. My reasoning here is that for power to get to the valve prior to the ignition switch being on, there must be a short in the system, and that it's not a fault of the valve itself. However, I have removed all the relays in the under-bonnet fuse/relay box one at a time and none of them stopped the valve working. I have not yet tried replacing the valve, or tried my valve in situe on another engine.

So my questions are: 1) has anyone else come across this before and what is the cure, and 2) is there another relay box elsewhere that I am missing?

Thanks for any help you can be.

S.Parker.

1989 1990/6 Fuel injection air valve running with - Number_Cruncher
I would begin by checking the power supply to the motronic control unit.

I would imagine that the power supply is relay controlled (though I wouldn't know where to find the relay without looking it up), and the contacts of the relay are fused together.

If like some earlier BMWs, the motronic control unit is beneath the passenger seat, then, it's worth checking that it isn't water damaged.

1989 1990/6 Fuel injection air valve running with - Screwloose
Have you got three relays on their own; centre of the bulkhead - a white; a yellow and a brown? If so; it's the yellow one.

Might also be a key-switch issue too. The VAFs feed [pin3] comes through the ECU.

Don't recall any motor inside them; are you sure the vibration isn't coming from the EVAP valve? That is directly fed from the relay.

Edited by Screwloose on 15/10/2008 at 13:16

>>Don't recall any motor inside them

I *think* the OP is describing the idle air control valve.

NC

That makes better sense - the little right-angle jobbie. That's relay-fed and ECU pulsed - so the whole system is staying active.

It needs the key-on feed to ECU pin 27 checking.

Edited by Screwloose on 15/10/2008 at 13:55

>>so the whole system is staying active.

Yes!, that's how I interpreted the OP.

1989 1990/6 Fuel injection air valve running with - jc2
STEPPER motor.!!!

Not exactly; a stepper motor is very different from a rotary idle valve.
Thanks, guys - all very helpful in isolating this fault.

The valve in question looks like idle air control to me: it is right-angled and it has an arrow on top denoting direction of flow. It has a 3 pin connector. The connector sits just above the top of the dipstick.

The Motronic unit is situated behind a panel under and to the right of the steering wheel, rather than under the seat. I will check the connections and report back.

To the person who mentioned removing relays: when you say 'in the middle of the bulkhead' do you mean in the relay box under the bonnet, or elsewhere? I have already removed each of them in turn to no avail.

Thanks again - we're getting there!

SP.
>>The car has been off the road for about six months. In that time, the battery was disconnected.

Have you been welding?

No welding - just replacing radiator, brake pipes and attending to general service items prior to sale. But this condition manifested itself before any of this work started. The car has been outside under a cover, although it has been quite damp of late of course so that has probably not helped!
SP

No; the only photo shown [data getting thin] is of three relays, in grey bases, mounted under a thick, taped, loom. [The white one may be an option.]

It's definitely not in the engine fuse box - these are stand-alone. The arrow points to the centre of the bulkhead above the engine.

If you can identify the ECU terminations; see if pin 27 is live with the key off.
1989 1990/6 Fuel injection air valve running with - elekie&a/c doctor
The relays for the fuel injection system are at the back of the engine bay ,on the bulkhead,under a plastic half moon shaped cover that is spring clipped into place over the wiring harness.hth
Hi,

I can't see the half-moon shaped cover you describe. Are you sure the fuel injection relays are here on the Motronic cars? I only ask because I know from speaking with owners of the earlier cars that the electrical architecture of the two are quite different.

Regardless, I am sure the FI relays are somewhere other than in the lidded fuse and relay box, which in my car is in the engine bay against the passenger side bulkhead. I just need to find them!

Thanks again - any other advice would be most welcome!

SP

The earlier L-Jet cars had one combined, tall, black, relay clipped to a bracket on one inner wing, about 18" back from the headlights.

Is there a wiring loom running across the bulkhead above the engine. Is it under a large, flimsy, cover.
Dear All,

Sorry for not responding to your offers of help for a while - I have been travelling on business and the car has been left alone for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, none of the suggestions made so far have helped to locate the relays in question. I have not tried accessing the terminals in the ECU. I don't feel confident enough that I won't short anything out. To this end, I'd like to locate the relays first and elliminate them as the possible cause before proceeding further.

I am going to the classic car show at the NEC next weekend. I'll try and find an E30 expert on the BMWOCGB stand.

If anyone who's been helping me so far is going to the show, I'd love to buy you a coffee! Let me know.

If in the meantime, if anyone knows where the FI relays are...

Thanks!

Simon Parker.