High milers - Hector Brocklebank
Who owns a seriously high mileage car and what is it? I'm guessing a few volvo's, merc's and honda's may crop up. Can you still expect trouble-free motoring above 100k if properly maintained? Secrets to longevity?

Edited by Pugugly on 11/10/2008 at 12:12

High Milers - mikeyb
I have had a couple - a Mk1 Mondeo that I ran to 160K - only thing I recall replacing during my ownership was the Cat and tyres / servicing. Also had an ex fleet A4 that I picked up in an auction and ran to 155K - again, nothing other than servicing and consumables

I imagine that others on here have managed far more miles though.
High Milers - oldnotbold
405 TD 95M Estate on 202k - runs likes a dream. I've put 20k on it. Heater controls have packed up (on hot all the time), but otherwise 100%.
High Milers - ohsoslow
My M reg MX5 has almost got to 130k which is not unusual for these and is only small mileage compared to some I've heard of. Regular oil changes with good quality oil plus normal servicing, water and anti-freeze renewed every other year.

It's not driven gently by any means but rarely does short urban journeys. Most outings include a good Italian tune up for good measure.

New hood at about 103k, £250. Clutch went at 111k, and I've had to replace all springs, shocks and discs at about 102k. Otherwise only normal consumables have been replaced. Most bits are quite cheap and it is easy to work on.

The bodywork has a few minor dents from careless car park neighbours, but it still drives well. To replace it if it goes pop in a big way would only cost £1500-£2000 and for that money it's great fun. It now only does about 6,000 miles a year.

High Milers - adverse camber
I've had a saab, a couple of audis, a porsche, a volvo, a subaru and a vauxhall all run to between 130K and 150K.

Most reliable - Saab 9000 2.3T
Least reliable - subaru svx
most expensive to run - Carrera 4
cheapest to run - Vauxhall cavalier
most boring - volvo v70

regular servicing, fix things when they crop up. Know your car so that you can tell when something isnt quite right.

Edited by adverse camber on 11/10/2008 at 11:21

High Milers - Alby Back
I've got a Mondeo diesel estate with 150k on it which has never had any reliability problems. Seems unbreakable actually.
High Milers - Big Bad Dave
My 406 is coming up to 150k.

It's just starting to feel a bit rattly and loose of late but shines up like a new pin. Polished all the leather yesterday and Cockpit shine works wonders. I've had to replaced one drop-link so far that cost a few quid and both fans this year at 200 quid or so at a main dealer. And about 4 coils which I can do myself. Not too bad in 4 years or so. It gets a yearly service from Peugeot before winter.

I paid 10% of the list price for it at 100k and I've had it for a third of it's useful life (half its life time-wise) so I'm quite pleased with it.
High Milers - Robin Reliant
My Mk1 Mondeo diesel is just approaching 140,000. I don't think 150k is particularly old these days, many of us still think in 1970's terms when an engine with 80k was on it's last legs.
High Milers - movilogo
Speak with some cab drivers in South East.

I regularly take ride on Nissan Primera, Toyota Avensis/Carina with mileage well over 300,000.

High Milers - Group B
100k miles is nothing these days. I bought my Saab 9-3 TiD with 75k miles on it, its now on 155k miles and it continues to be very reliable.
I put it down to good servicing, the interval is 9k miles, so it gets serviced twice a year. But I also think I've been a bit lucky - its still on its first clutch, exhaust, shock absorbers, turbo, cam chain, fuel pump, injectors, MAF sensor, etc.
I've now started to think that loads of stuff is going to fail all at once!

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 11/10/2008 at 12:12

High Milers - Alby Back
It probably won't be any bother Rich if you keep it maintained. I've mentioned on here before about my friend's Mondeo diesel estate which is now at 230k with everything non-consumable original except for a new exhaust back box at 220k. He is very lazy about maintenance and despite his 40k or so miles a year he only gets it serviced at MOT time. It's an 02 TDCI by the way...........

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 11/10/2008 at 12:16

High Milers - bbroomlea{P}
I have an A4 with a mere 145,000 miles which still feels surprisingly new. Wife has a Rover 214 with almost 140,000 and is still going strong. I had a Rover 75 with 225,000 before my Audi.

Experience over 100K so far is very positive - nothing than ordinary servicing on any of them. Infact, the 214 had a bit of money chucked at it at around 80K on various bits and bobs (nothing too expensive) and been fine ever since.
High Milers - jase1
I had a Cavalier with 185,000 miles, engine was fine but the car was suffering from age-related issues (mainly rust).

Currently have a Nissan Primera with coming on for 230,000 miles now -- purrs like a kitten. It's needed a bit of work doing to it (bits and pieces; clutch, MAF sensor etc) but it's no bother at all. There are a few dashboard rattles but that's about it.
High Milers - Alby Back
Musing further on this. I was struck by a remark by a neighbour recently. We were doing that lazy Sunday afternoon suburban thing of leaning on my car putting the world to rights, talking rubbish mainly, when the subject of cars arose. We happened to be leaning on my above mentioned 150k mile, six year old Mondeo. He said something along the lines of "that's kept well" and I thought, hmm, how should it look then ? It has admittedly got a lot of miles on it and it's not in the first flush of youth, but it has never been crashed or trashed, it gets cleaned and tidied regularly, serviced etc. when required and driven with, I hope, a modicum of respect for its wellbeing.

It does, I have to say, look pretty good all things considered and I don't think I pamper it overly. It gets used for its intended purposes and gets looked after. No more no less.

I wonder if the current trend to keep cars longer enforced, or at least encouraged, by the economic climate will cause more people to realise that modern cars are more than capable of long term reliable use. I know there has been a general trend in the recent decades to regard any car with more than five years under its belt or with mileage in three figures as a banger, when in many cases they are perfectly good cars.

Although cheap money has provided many with the ability to change their cars more often I do wonder if there has also been an element of self justification myth creeping in to cause people to feel that it was also prudent to change regularly ? As I have previously mentioned, I have got quite used to taking the "washing machine" view of my car purchases. In other words, buy a decent one and use it until it no longer works or is uneconomical to repair. Then buy another decent one and so on. Few seem to have looked at cars this way in recent times but maybe this will become the fashionable way ? Who knows ?

Just to be clear, I'm not criticising anyone who replaces their car every two years because they want to or can or just feel happier doing that. That's their business and choice. Just exploring whether the general attitude might shift a bit as more people realise that it may not be entirely necessary.
High Milers - midlifecrisis
The recent issues have certainly changed me. I don't normally last more than 18 months. (Despite trying..really hard). However satisfaction with my current car and the knowledge I'd be offered peanuts has even given thought to keeping it past it's THIRD birthday.

What is the world coming too!
High Milers - madf
Xantia HDIs with 200k miles aree common.

And I drove 2 Yaris diesels with120k ..(when looking for one) and they were fine..

Lots of common place diesels over 150k on ebay..
High Milers - oldnotbold
I saw a 410k W124 estate on Ebay - been used for frequent trips to Switzerland, it said on the listing.
High Milers - bbroomlea{P}
I wish I hadnt posted this now. My Audi packed up on the way to work this morning. Looks like some kind of fuel delivery problem but not best pleased as its not long had a service and it had an mot on saturday as well.

Off to post in Technical :-(
High Milers - Alby Back
Sorry to hear that bbroomlea. Servicing or any kind of underbonnet work can be a double edged sword. A necessary evil some might say. I've often heard of previously reliable cars which decide shortly after servicing that they resented the intrusion.

Hope it's a simple and inexpensive fit of pique.
High Milers - bradgate
" I don't think 150k is particularly old these days many of us still think in 1970's terms when an engine with 80k was on its last legs."

I completely agree. Drivers like my dad who had appalling British Leyland rubbish inflicted on them in the bad old days have entirely different perceptions to those brought up with modern Hondas and Toyotas. 150k trouble-free miles is the minimum we should expect from a well used, properly maintained modern car.
High Milers - woodster
My neighbour's daughter had a 1.4 petrol Clio, M plate, still going strong at 200k when she traded it in for peanuts. His old 405 with the 1.9 diesel was regularly hacked to South of France at faintly ridiculous speeds, damn near the red line for hours on end, strong at 180k.
High Milers - Paddler Ed
202,000 Volvo V70 Classic, Jan 2000 Registered.

Only problems? 1 flat battery, 1 set of duff spark plugs (they wore out... oops!) and 1 Rusted radiator hose clip that failed.

Full Service history, 19 stamps in the book, 18 of which are Volvo dealers (and only 4 different dealers in that time!) I've got the quick service reports for every one of those services as well!

I've just realised that I'm going to run out of service histroy space in the book in the next 2yrs at the current rate... oops

I got it at 172k, and have happily taken it to France twice, and it's about to go out there again next year.

Body work? Couple of bumps and scrapes, but no different to many other V70's that I see, at the moment it looks like it's done a couple of rally stages due to the amount of mud sprayed up the side.

Interior? OK the radio lights don't all work (5 paddles hitting it didn't do it a lot of good) but the leather seats is good, the steering wheel is a bit worn due to rings and things, and a D pillar speaker grill is broken.

I'm loath to replace it as it only costs £185 pa for VED, does 35mpg with 2 kayaks on the roof, and does everything I want it to do!
High milers - doctormike
1993 Peugeot 205 (non turbo) diesel, owned from new - 158k and currently taking me on my 35 mile each way motorway commute. No major work, no significant rust, and although serviced regularly by our local indy, pennies to run. Of course it's not the most luxurious motor, and certainly not as refined as I'd like for the commute, but charming in its own way. 63 mpg isn't bad either given current fuel prices.
High milers - stunorthants26
Highest ever in my family was a 1981 Datsun Cherry 1.0 3dr that my dad bought when he first started his business. He traded it in with 287k on the clock having put on 200k in 3 years.
No wonder I dont remember my dad in those years - he must have been in his Datsun!

It was that car which cemented his belief in japanese cars and he went on to own an 84' Corolla estate, an '86 Nissan Sunny estate and then later on, an early Impreza Turbo and a Honda Integra Type-R.
High milers - DP
2001 Volvo S60 2.0T with 135,000 miles. I've had it six months and put 9,000 miles on it, in which time it's needed a top engine mount and a service. Engine still sounds superb, pulls hard, and is faultlessly smooth. The interior doesn't creak or rattle, everything works, and it still glides along the road in near silence. Feels like it's easily good for 200,000 miles, and possibly a chunk more. It threw a wobbly one morning and refused to start for about a minute, but that's never recurred, and has been the only beat missed since I've had it. Does mid 30's to the gallon as well!

I bought it from a friend who'd had it from three years old, and prior to that it was a Lex lease car. I have the complete service history including the printout from Lex, and the Volvo dealer history my friend kept up since he had it. The maintenance history is remarkably undramatic. A central locking fault in the first six months, front lower arm bushes at 60k, eye watering £800 cambelt service at 97k, and a replacement alternator, battery and clutch at between 100k and 110k. Other than that, it's literally been scheduled servicing, bulbs (lots of them - infernal DRLs!) and tyres. It's even still on its original exhaust!

Had a Mondeo TD before this which had 142k when sold. That was a fantastic car as well, although definitely felt its mileage a lot more than the Volvo. More creaks and squeaks and more niggling problems. Still never let me down in 40,000 miles though!

Have bought high milers for years, and will continue to do so. A lot of people avoid them, but its their loss.

Cheers
DP

High milers - SuperBuyer
2004 Golf GTI 150bhp diesel - now on 145K, so not mega high. Bodywork shows the mileage if you look closely - several hundred stonechips on the bonnet and wings. Shock absorbers to rear starting to leak slightly, but should get through another year. Apart from a boost pipe, the only items replaced have been routine (brakes, tyres, servicing, bulbs).

Am now looking to change (reluctantly) for something bigger (the Golf isn't really a family car no matter how hard I try to convince myself..), and that will be more of the same - Passat, Superb, A6 Avant, all with the 130bhp engine, and probably 100K on the clock at 3 years old.

Yes, there are some creaks and some of the trim isn't too brilliant, but it wouldn't cost much to fix if needed. When its clean and polished it could easily pass for 45K or less..

Before the Golf I had a Vectra 1.9 CDTi (150) on a 2005 plate, 50K. Now that felt tired...
High milers - pendulum
95 Citroen ZX 1.9td with 140,000 miles. Its been a very cheap reliable motor. Its getting a few small issues now, but I put them down to age mainly rather then mileage - things like gaskets deteriorating (sump, fuel pump, elsewhere...) causing seepages and leaks. Bodywork's poor (again, mainly age... rust). But as far as the engine goes, it doesn't burn a drop of oil, and I put a new cambelt kit on it myself for £65 a few weeks ago. Probably another 200,000 in the engine, but realistically, maybe the car only has a year or two left.

MoT next week -- maybe not even that!!

Edited by pendulum on 11/10/2008 at 23:25

High milers - bostin
97 VW Passat TDI 110 currently at 176k. Owned the car for the last five years, covering 112k miles in the process. Regular servicing at 10k (ish) intervals, the only 'non-consummable' items relate to the front suspension which is a well known weak point on this car. Overwise car is pretty much original - still on its original exhaust, clutch, radiator etc. Radiator has had a slight leak for the past couple of years and will need replacing next month. Clutch will need to be replaced in the next 10k miles.

This car has been the cheapest car that I've run so far in terms of pence for mile calculations. It's performance is adequate and when called upon fuel economy can be outstanding (see my other posts about achieving 1000 miles out of a tank). This doesn't appear to have notably diminished as the miles have increased either.

6 months ago I set myself the 'goal' of 200k in this car which at my current annual mileage should be in under a years time with the intention of looking at a replacement at that time. However, as the miles click by I have increasing doubts as to whether there are any suitable replacements which will be a notable step forward in terms of the economy/reliability/performance side of things. Perhaps a 520d?

Secrets to longevity - regular servicing and not treating the car as if its a china doll in terms of making progress etc. The lack of any creaks from the dash probably also helps although I tend to turn a blind eye to other things such as the broken wiring in one rear door not enabling all doors to open on the central locking etc.

High milers - Avant
There's a truism running through this thread isn't there - cars like being driven, particularly long distances. That's what they're designed for. I've driven at least 20,000 miles a year since 1970 and - touching wood - have had very little trouble with my cars - including a run of 7 big Renaults.

I've been lucky enough to have had my cars from new: but people who buy high- milers, such as those who've posted above, have chosen carefully and continued to look after their cars - and had little grief.

I wouldn't like to buy a low-mileage example like some of those parked at our local station. Butch comes back from the City having not driven all day and roars out of the car park at high revs in his Porsche or BMW - and probably drives all of 2 miles home.

When I got my 'fun car' - a 7-year-old Z3 - this summer I deliberately went for one with 70,000 on the clock rather than a tempting 29,000-miler of the same age in a fetching shade of blue. So far so very good - oh, and it was a delight this afternoon, hood down in the sunshine. Sorry if it wasn't sunny where you are!
High milers - Hector Brocklebank
So, Avant, would you recommend a high-mileage ex-fleet car at 3 years old. Seriously, Mondeos and Vectras of this kind are going for chicken feed.
High milers - Brian Tryzers
I'll butt in there with a Yes. Haven't looked at prices, but if you had reckoned on paying, say, £7000 for a three-year-old Mondeo and found one for £4000, you could put the difference in the building society (note that I didn't say bank!) against any extra wear-and-tear bits it might want, and expect to run it for three more years at minimal expense. Bangernomics principles. really - but starting with a much newer, more comfortable car.
High milers - Avant
Absolutely, WdB. I'm pro-VAG and drive one partly because they hold their value - but for that very reason I wouldn't buy one used. Likewise I wouldn't buy a new Ford or Vauxhall but a used one looks a good bet - particularly a Mondeo.

There are lots of people (e.g. Humph B and DP) who have had high mileages out of Mondeos and very little trouble. They sound like people who care for their cars and look after them, and that's the secret: of course buying any used car is a gamble made in the hope that the previous owners were people of like mind.

Skodas are also a good bet - there are plenty of taxi-drivers who will vouch for that - and probably also Toyota Carina / Avensis.
High milers - Brian Tryzers
The other thing with Fords and Vauxhalls is that there are so many about that you can afford to be really choosy. Some 90k three-year-olds will feel like wrecks, but there are enough that will have been assigned to drivers who knew how to use a sponge and a vacuum cleaner - and knew the difference between a speed bump and a ski ramp - to let you walk past the horrors. And yes, a three-year-old Avensis might be better still, judging by the five-year-old one one friend uses.
High milers - DP
I think Fords and Vauxhalls also suffer as a result of their low value, particularly at high mileages. The lower the cost of a car, the more "disposable", and therefore the less likely the owner is to maintain it properly. The lower "desirability" of the badge compared with, say the German brands also has an impact in how owners treat them.

In practice this can mean anything from small faults being ignored until they become big ones, or even no servicing at all until the car stops. This really struck home when we were looking for a mk4 Fiesta a few years ago. It was almost impossible to find one with any form of service history, and the majority were shabby, tired and rattly. Perseverance paid off, and we found a one owner 70,000 miler with a full Ford history. Despite being 8 yrs old, it was immaculate and drove like new. We sold that car last year (for the asking price and to the first viewer) with coming up to 100k on it, and it was still a gem. Never let us down, the interior was unmarked, the engine sweet as new, and the chassis taut and chuckable. All I did to that car was service it to the schedule and replace the front wishbones, anti rollbar bushes, and the heater control valve. All common Fiesta problems, and not £100 worth of parts or 4 hours labour for the lot.

My dad had an early (M plate) 2.0 petrol Mondeo which he bought at 3 yrs old, and sold (well, pretty much gave away) 2 yrs ago with nearly 200,000 miles on the clock to a neighbour who is still using it, and has added 20,000 to the total. It's cosmetically ropy nowadays, but runs and drives beautifully, is still on its original clutch (this is what will probably kill it!) and the engine or gearbox have never been apart. I also know lots of people who've had 200+k out of Cavaliers and Astras.

Having run several Fords well into six figure mileages, I think they're tough as old boots if looked after. The interiors are not up to VAG / Volvo standards, but the mechanicals are dependable and well engineered. The problem is, a lot of people don't look after them.

Edited by DP on 12/10/2008 at 00:31

High milers - barchettaman
My '99 Astra 1.8 16V petrol (120k miles) is running very nicely on a regime of annual service and 6 month oil change. Nothing has stopped working - yet! Bought at 83k 4 years ago for 2400 quid.

It still feels nice and tight, returns 36-42mpg and will hit (true) 127mph on the A5 towards Darmstadt without blowing up - yet!

The supplementary oil change was recommended on this forum, and seems good advice. The car uses negligible oil between changes.

With regards to the OP's question, obviously some high-milers have been thrashed, not serviced, unloved and are unlikely to go much beyond 100k. Many, many others have been driven and serviced with mechanical sympathy and will be good for 200k+.

Examine service books, contact the previous owner(s), judge a prospective purchase with a cool and calculating eye, don't be afraid to walk as there will always be another car available.

I can't see why *anyone* would buy a new car with their own money. Who's got that much money to lose these days?

(ducks for cover)

Edited by barchettaman on 12/10/2008 at 02:54

High milers - Cliff Pope
1993 Volvo 240 on 404,000 miles.
Annual mileage 25,000.

I know of one local example just scrapped at over 800,000 miles (rust) and another in daily use on 745,000 miles.
High milers - cheddar
2002 Mondeo Ghia X TDCi 130 5dr
130k miles
Original clutch
One injector needed recalibrating at around 70k
Rear subframe bushes replaced at 100k
New front discs at 60k and 105k
I have had since new and it still drives 100%, refined and punchy, but for a very slight movement in top engine mount which I might replace, parts cost around £80.
High milers - DP
I can't see why *anyone* would buy a new car with their own money. Who's
got that much money to lose these days?

For some people, the warranty, absolute choice over colour and spec, and the complete lack of hassle are worth the money.

I've been lucky enough to "have" new cars as a company car driver for 8 years, and that lovely new feeling, new car smell, and the complete absence of dust or dirt from the depths of the air vents or trim recesses is very nice. The problem is, it lasts a matter of weeks. To me, that's not worth thousands of pounds in depreciation.

But each to their own. If people didn't buy new, I wouldn't be able to profit from their losses by buying their cast offs cheap! :-)
High milers - Bagpuss
Whilst browsing a used car website here in Germany, I came across this:

tinyurl.com/3vr9s3

It's a 1992 Mercedes W124 being sold with over 1 million kilometres on the clock. And they still want 980 Euros for it!

High milers - yorkiebar
Why does the magical figure of 100k miles make people think the car is about to die?

Stacks of cars on the road, new and old, with over double that and still going strong.

Look after a car (oil and filter regular) and the engine will last. Use wrong oil, neglect its change intervals, and abuse the thing and 100k is not even achievable.

Its the owner, not the vehicle that determines how long the engine (not the car) will last. remember that when you buy a 2nd hand car private ?? Judge the owner as much as the car !
High milers - tintin01
We have had 4 Saabs all with over 130k on them. All have been pretty reliable, except for one (my favourite, sadly) which had electrical problems and had to go. On the Saab forums, 150k is regarded as just about 'run in'. I think for many cars it was the bodywork which finished them off. With modern manufacturing methods, you just don't see as many rusty cars as you used to.

I think the problem now is the cost of depreciation versus even minor repairs - perfectly good cars are scrapped because the car is worth £300 and the repair is £200. Similarly, the increase in VED will mean the scrapping of decent cars - many people won't want to pay £400 VED on a £200 car. They will scrap it and buy something smaller.
High milers - prm72
When in Rhodes on holiday a couple of years ago we hired a taxi, was a Merc E class diesel with 830,000 kms on it and still going strong, he said he'd had a new auto box at 500,000 kms, i personally had a 1988 Granada 2.0 with 198,000 when sold, a Carlton with 200,000 ( fantastic car, didnt burn any oil either ) and a Peuguot 605 diesel auto with 225,000 and still going good when sold. I've now got an S60 D5 auto 05 with 40,000 on so far, lets see if this is as good cos i intend keeping for a few years at 30,000 mls a year.
High milers - spikeyhead {p}
The current runabout is a Mondeo tdci with 155k on the clock. With luck and a fair wind that should last another 18 months or so. It could do with new shocks on it.

That replaced a 155k 1.8td that had been abused by its previous owners but it did the job I wanted, got driven into three times when I was parked at my digs in Fratton but the bodywork was already so dented it didn't matter.

That replaced a 165k Cavalier td which is still being used by the bloke I sold it to, though I doubt it would still be going if I'd kept it, would have been on about 250k miles by now if I had.

High milers - Lucky 7
I have recently picked up a T reg Mondeo with 154k on it for peanuts. Apart from a rattly cat it drives excellently - the worst thing about it is the flimsy bumpers which, having cracked on the offside, then got caught by the wind on the motorway and ripped a massive hole! A mate has recently got himself an 825 wth 300k+, although I won't recommend that just yet as he's having all sorts of fun with the cooling system!

Best one I've heard was from a Cavalier forum - someone had gone down to a scrap yard to get some parts, and was intrigued by the car he was plundering as the mileage was 000,009, yet the steering wheel was actually worn thin in places and the drivers seat had been replaced.
He then found an old MOT in the glove compartment that listed the mileage as 750,000... yep, it had done a million! The scrap yard owner knew the guy who'd bought it in (taxi driver) - apparently it was still on the original engine, albiet with a new gearbox 'every 150k or so'

High milers - TheOilBurner
Just to be awkward and go against the grain, both the highish milers I've owned have been rubbish.

I had a 1987 Citroën BX 1.6 petrol with 110k miles (back in '97) and that had to be scrapped when the head gasket went. It was also suffering from major rust on all the underside suspension pipes (MOT failure for sure) and countless minor problems like the boot wouldn't lock, the clutch arm snapped, etc.

I also had a 1996 Mondeo 1.8TD (in '02') and that was suffering from compression loss at 105k miles, despite regular servicing. Got rid of it when the clutch started to go.

OTOH, my 2001 V70 2.4 on 95k miles was still going strong (but burning 1L of oil every 4k miles) and probably would have gone on and on if I'd been bothered with it.

I must know how to pick the wrong 'uns!
High milers - Mapmaker
here before about my friend's Mondeo diesel estate which is now at 230k with everything
non-consumable original except for a new exhaust back box at 220k. He is very lazy
about maintenance and despite his 40k or so miles a year he only gets it
serviced at MOT time. It's an 02 TDCI by the way...........

Those people who worried about a Golf (was it? last week) that had apparently gone 44k miles without a service and who cheerfully predicted that it wouldn't last beyond the next trip to Tescos should read this. Most modern cars are very difficult to break. Some, with known problems, have 6k oil change intervals, or 2 year coolant change intervals. Otherwise, it doesn't really warrant fussing too much...
High milers - Mike H
1999 Saab 9-5 2.0lpt at 176,000 - original turbo & all other major bits, chipped at 94k from 150 to 192bhp. Never broken down except when the battery died overnight. Still sounds sweet with no timing chain rattle, due to 6,000 oil (fully synth) and filter changes. Fixed when broke and a modicum of preventative maintenance.

Had a 1986 Saab 9000i (2.0, no turbo, very little in fact as it was the poverty model!). Ultra reliable, thrashed to get any sort of decent performance out of it. Only passed it on at 202k miles due to the timing chain sounding like a cement mixer with rocks in it (but had done for the last 30,000 miles...), and it needed a new clutch which effectively wrote it off.

Interestingly, both started life as company cars - I would have no hesitation buying ex-company cars.
High milers - LiverpaulH
My 1st car was a 1980 957cc ford fiesta. Bought in 1990 for £800 with 38,000 on the clock, scrapped after I had completed over 100,000 miles in at 141,000. It did 16,000 approx per year and it was this relatively high mileage I think that helped. At the time I was told it'll never last past 100,000.

I had a 1999 T 1.8 petrol Mondeo bought from Measham auctions in 2002 for £2000 with 120,000. I sold it to one of my drivers 3 years later with 195,000 on the clock, and its still going fine.

My 1995 Scorpio diesel estate had 150,000 on it when I bought it and was sold to another driver when it hit 200,000 just over a year later.

My 1997 Scorpio diesel was bought at 80,000 and just sold with 135,000 on the clock.

No costs other than servicing/ brake bits (other than clutch & shocks on Fiesta) for any of these motors. I do think high miles is the way to reliablility. I hope so as my latest car is an 05 Mondeo TDCI ST 2.2 Estate bought at Belle Vue with 70,000. Now at 85,000 with only a service cost to date.
High milers - apm
I sold a Volvo 940S estate earlier this year with about 151,000 on it, felt barely run in.

I logged the car on the volvo high mileage club, although it looked a bit pathetic compared to some.

www.volvoclub.org.uk/miles.shtml

Not counting the 1960's cars, there's a guy from Finland with a 1979 240 that's done 1628780 miles (well it says mileage, so I assume miles). Highest in the UK is a 940 TD on 594393.

Cheers,

Alex.
High milers - tr7v8
'87 944 currently has 141K on it, uses oil when hammered but drives fine, original clutch, head never been off. Gave less hassle when doing 25K a year for 18 months than it does now doing 2K Per annum.

Had a Mk2 Granada estate Ghia X 2.8 which I bought at 116K & it finally died at 195K because the torque converter went. In that time had a water pump, 1 x CV joint & an exchange auto box which was 195 quid!

Th Alfa 75 went from 57K to 111K in my hands in 3 years. Had a clutch (because an idiot garage mis-adjusted the back brakes) & a pinion bearing. Fantastic car, two cars I would have back in a heart beat is the Granny & the Alfa.
High milers - BMWTOP

Well I have to say my trusty automatic 1999 bmw 328i sport coupe is still going strong after over 234000 miles, it has done most of these miles on the motorway, i bought it with 67k on the clock and its has all the original running gear. I will state that it gets serviced at least twice a year. It does not lose oil and its not smokey either although the interior is getting a bit tatty. Most reliabe car i have ever had, it has seen off two golfs and is on par with our lexus for reliability. Like they say if it aint broke dont fix it.

High milers - Trilogy

it has seen off two golfs and is on par with our lexus

LOL. :)

High milers - dan86

I had a 1991 325 bmw witch had clocked up over 1m miles by one owner. I bought tje car for £500 in 2005 and put 10000 miles on it in 6 months I would of kept it longer if it wasn't for the burk in a volvo who fell asleep at the wheel on the m3 and drifted in to me.

High milers - Zuave

I bought an 03 plate Jeep grand cherokee 2.7 diesel a few months ago. had 134k on the odo and the chap I bought it off seemed clued-up and had lots of info about what had been done and when.

I replaced the PS pump as it was "groaning" on full lock and fitted new heater blend doors and a new motor for one door. The heated drivers seat doesn't work (who cares?) and the re-circ air-flow door has failed (that will soon be fixed in the open position). previous owner had 2 x injectors sorted for "The black death" that these 2.7 mercedes engines can suffer with.

I've taken it upto 136k now and runs fine. has an annoying battery-bleed if I leave for a couple of days so I fitted a battery iscolator. When my new garage is up I shall spend a bit of time to locate the power drain. I was a bit concerned with this (for me) high-miler, but it is a great old beast for towing/doing bits around the croft etc. Quite comfy big leather seats too. More importantly SWMBO also thinks it's great! Will keep it for a few years if it continues to behave.

Zuave.

High milers - Gibbo_Wirral

I've had a few Peugeot 306 diesels with over 100K on them and never had any issues other than the usual tyres and brake replacements. The interiors (except for the ones with half leather) has stood up to the test of time and not worn or frayed.

My brother has a 2002 307 with 198,000 miles on and it drives and looks like it has a fraction of that.