Alleged bus lane incursion - Alanovich
I have just this morning received a Penalty Notice for an alleged bus lane incursion, in a bus lane just outside Reading Rail Station. The date of the alleged incursion is 22nd June 2008. The alleged offence was spotted by a CCTV camera operative and a penalty notice has finally been issued (dated 7th October 2008). I've looked up the rules around these notices on the tinternet, and it seems local authorities can issue notices up to 6 months after an alleged offence, so fair enough, even if it feels a little late.

I was definately in the area at the time of the alleged offence, as I was picking a gentleman up from the train station at the time and date stated, this was someone who had travelled from London to buy a car from me, hence I have records to show what I was doing that day and I rememeber the time I agreed to meet him at the station. The alleged offence occurred in my car, registered to me, and I know for a fact I was driving it in the area on the date and time recorded. So far, so banged to rights.

I have absolutely no recollection, however, of entering a bus lane, and would be surprised if I had done so as I'm not the sort to do this usually.

So, I have sent off a request to view the CCTV footage at Reading Civic Centre, as the notice states that I have a right to do so. I await a timed and dated appointment, as proimised on the notice.

My question is this. Should I pay the fine now during the 14 days-reduced-to-30-pounds rule, and then claim the money back if it turns out that I feel I didn't commit an offence? Or should I hold out paying until I've seen the footage? If I take the latter course, do I risk missing out on the 14 day payment, 30 pounds allowance and end up paying 60, or even 90 pounds if it goes beyond 28 days? Needless to say, the Penalty Notice does not clarify this situation.

Would appreciate any thoughts from BR contributors.

NOTE: I am not trying to get off the fine if I have commitied the alleged offence - if I see the video and I have done something I shouldn't have, I will proceed immediately to the accounts window in the Civic Centre and settle up. What I'm trying to do is pay as little as possible in the event that I have been a naughty little boy.
Alleged bus lane incursion - daveyjp
From info I gleaned when researching fighting a parking ticket the 14 day reduce fee window is put on hold until any appeal is heard. This information was also on the ticket.
Alleged bus lane incursion - Armitage Shanks {p}
Is it conveneint for you to return to Reading station and look at the actual bus lane and the signage? I shall be at a loose end near Reading for Tuesday and Wednesday next week and might go there shopping. If you want me to go to the station and inspect it for you drop me a line thru my e mail (See Profile). I can take pictures etc and all this for a cyber pint!
Thanks AS, that's a very generous offer.

I live in Reading but don't often drive through the centre if I can help it. I dropped by the station this morning on the way to work and took some quick snaps of the signage and layouts, and I can't for the life of me work out where I would have got myself in to a bus lane.

I'm intrigued to see the footage and will cough up if I've done a wrong 'un somehow. I'm fully expecting to see I've done something wrong, but it's bothering me as to how I've done it without noticing and recording it in my mental bank of guilt (thanks, Mum), just as I did this morning when I went past a Talivan at an indicated 45 on a 40 limit downhill dual carriageway (A4 westbound between Sonning Cutting and Suttons Seeds Roundabout, just east of Reading), although the van was on the other side (eastbound) of the carriageway from me so I don't know if it could have got me. Should I be concerned about getting a ticket for that too?
Alleged bus lane incursion - Steve Pearce
An indicated 45 probably means you were travelling closer to 41-42 in the real world, since the ACPO guideline for enforcement in a 40 is 46, I don't think you will hearing anything.
I think you should be OK; I don't think that the vans are used across a centre reservation. I think that the angle has to be nearer head on than you would get across a dual carriageway. Good luck though - you have 14 and a bit days to sweat on it!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 09/10/2008 at 15:06

Cheers. I learnt a lesson there. As I was approaching the dual carriageway from the elongated traffic island with the retail park on it (for those that know it), a boy racer in a souped up Clio came tearing up behind me at a huge rate of knots in the right hand lane (the left lane feeds off to Woodley and the Cadillac/Volvo dealer on the left) - and this is in a 30 limit. As I entered the dual carriage way he was still up my tailpipe, and I admit I had sped up a bit whilst pulling to the left lane, because he had spooked me and I knew I was entering a higher limit of 40. I was keeping my eye on his antics in my mirror, expecting him to blaze past me, so got distracted from the business of speedo gazing. I then noticed the had dropped back quite a bit, thought "What's the little wotsit up to?", and then spotted the van on the other side of the road. He'd seen it before me as I was mirror watching rather than paying proper attention forwards.

21 years on the road an I can still be put off by someone else's bad driving, and forced in to making a mistake.
Alleged bus lane incursion - Lud
Alanovich, should you really just cough up if the footage shows you have strayed across a bit of bus lane?

Bus lanes are to provide buses (and rather unfairly, taxis) with a lane that won't fill up with cars in the rush hour. If cars occupy them or use them to undertake other traffic then their drivers should be penalised or discouraged I suppose. But to send PCNs to drivers who have clipped a corner or used the bus lane to pass a car waiting to turn right in the outside lane is sleazy, dishonest and money-grubbing, and should be resisted. There is nothing sacred about bus lanes. If they were that holy they would be fenced off from the rest of the road. They aren't, for obvious reasons. And those are the same reasons why this sort of penalty is outrageous.

Don't pay up without a murmur. Argue. It may work, depending on the road layout and the vigour of your argument.
Lud, that's a very good point. But I haven't got the time or energy to fight the blasted Council. So 30 quid will be a cheap price to pay.

I agree I should fight it if it looks really nitpicky, but probably won't. One thing I'm fairly sure of is that I didn't occupy the bus lane or use it to undertake other traffic, I may well have clipped one as you say. I had just let a complete stranger into my car (the bloke who had come to buy my other car), so may have been slightly distracted checking that he wasn't going to kill/maim me or hijack the car or something! ;-)

I'll report back here on the footage as soon as I've seen it and we'll see what people think. I promise to own up if I have indeed done something reprehensible (i.e got in a sacrosanct bus's way for 1.353 seconds) which I have subsequently forgotten about. Scout's honour.
Alleged bus lane incursion - jbif
One thing I'm fairly sure of is that I didn't occupy the bus lane or use it ...

I just had a look at the aerial views on maps.google and found the bus-lanes around the Station Hill and Station Approach area quite confusing.

When you exit going East and then South from the "drop-off" area on Station Hill to join Station Approach, you have to cross a red coloured tarmac area marked "Bus Taxi Only"!

I just had a look at the aerial views on maps.google and found the bus-lanes
around the Station Hill and Station Approach area quite confusing.
When you exit going East and then South from the "drop-off" area on Station Hill
to join Station Approach you have to cross a red coloured tarmac area marked "Bus
Taxi Only"!

That's the place. You are not allowed to exit East (left) from the drop off roundaboutie thing. I was in the drop-off/pick-up area to pick up that bloke, and then so far as I recall, drove off, turning right (West) out of the lay-by back on to Station Hill heading for Tudor Road and then Caversham Road.

The Penalty Notice says I was seen at "Station Approach (West to East)". Maybe I made an illegal left heading East out of the layby on to Station Approach. If that's what I did then it's naughty boy time as it clearly states no left turn there (I went to check the signs this morning). I really don't remember doing that but it's starting to look like the only explanation, even though that would be going the wrong way for me to get home.

If I've made a legal right turn and they're getting money out for me for crossing that red box, then everyone making that legal right has to cross the box and they'll be making an awful, awful lot of money out of it. Hmm. It's going to be interesting to see if my memory is playing tricks, and I am, in point of fact, not the Messiah and a very naughty boy to boot.
If I've made a legal right turn

"legal right turn " - that may be the question.

Looking at the aerial view, the road markings seem to indicate:

1. Station Hill: You can access the drop off zone on Station Hill going East, only from Tudor Road or Greyfriars Road.

2. Station Approach: You cannot access Station Approach (West to East) if you are coming from Forbury Road or Station Road. Only Buses/Taxis have right of access West to East. The aerial view shows a metallic blue/green car entering the zone against the rules painted on the road which the car is going over!

3. Exit from Drop-Off area on Station Hill: You must not turn to your right because you would be then going in the direction that buses/taxis only should be going. However, the give-way at the junction is not marked to indicate left-turn only, maybe because Taxis/buses are allowed to turn either way there. Logically, you are probably only allowed to turn to your left and drive towards the roundabout at Forbury Road.
[Whether you go left or right at the give-way, you are forced to drive over a red-tarmac area marked buses/taxis only, however there is a tiny bit of it that just allows a small car to squeeze through for a left turn towards Forbury Road].

Edited by jbif on 09/10/2008 at 17:16

1. Station Hill: You can access the drop off zone on Station Hill going East
only from Tudor Road or Greyfriars Road.

Correct. This is how I would have entered the drop-off zone.
2. Station Approach: You cannot access Station Approach (West to East) if you are coming
from Forbury Road or Station Road. Only Buses/Taxis have right of access West to East.
The aerial view shows a metallic blue/green car entering the zone against the rules painted
on the road which the car is going over!

You can not enter the bit of Forbury Road after the Blagrave Street Roundabout travelling East to West, unless you're a taxi. Only buses and taxis have access to this in both directions - I am thinking I might have gone down there from the drop off point and taken a risk on not getting caught. Can't remember thinking this though. the only way you're legally allowed out of the drop off zone is to turn right (West). The green/blue car might be a minicab, but there's not wassaname on its roof.

Essentially, it's only buses and taxis allowed heading East from the drop off exit up to the Blagrave Street junction.
3. Exit from Drop-Off area on Station Hill: You must not turn to your right
because you would be then going in the direction that buses/taxis only should be going.

Not according to the signposts at the exit. These show no left turn for private vehicles. Logic doesn't come in to it!
[Whether you go left or right at the give-way you are forced to drive over
a red-tarmac area marked buses/taxis only however there is a tiny bit of it that
just allows a small car to squeeze through for a left turn towards Forbury Road].

Thinking about it, the whole road is a bus lane, red bit or not.
Alleged bus lane incursion - Dwight Van Driver
In asking for the photo you can ckaim that you are disputing the PCN.

Until you receive from them a Notice of Rejection then as I understand it the discount PCN still stands. Phone them and confirm.

Don't look good at the moment for you as they will have the shot of your vehicle in the bus lane - they don't send these things willy nilly for obvious reasons.

If you live in Reading then re visit the site asap and confirm in your mind what there is there and signs?

dvd
they don't send these things willy nilly for
obvious reasons.

I know you know your stuff DVD but some of them do send these things out willy nilly sometimes, for the fairly obvious reason that many drivers (like Alanovich) are ready just to pay up to save hassle.

They can send you a still clip showing one or more of your wheels on the bus lane, with yr number plate showing of course, but it is surprising how cunningly cropped these clips can be to remove all evidence of why you put those wheels in the bus lane. Sharp practice, or something very like it, is sometimes at play here. Often, probably.
They can send you a still clip showing one or more of your wheels on
the bus lane with yr number plate showing of course but it is surprising how
cunningly cropped these clips can be to remove all evidence of why you put those
wheels in the bus lane.

That's why I have asked to see the CCTV footage, rather than receive a still photo of the alleged offence.
Alleged bus lane incursion - harib
I agree with Lud here. You don't have to spend hours fighting the council. It's worth a simple letter and the price of a first class stamp (plus recorded delivery). You don't have to resort to any type of legal speak either - sometimes a simple "I've never dropped off anyone at Reading station by car before and was temporarily dis-orientated by the myriad of bus lanes" might do the trick. A vast number of PCNs are cancelled on dispute (I can't remember the percentage now) but it's quite a high value I believe.
Alleged bus lane incursion - Hamsafar
I would also want them to show that 5 months was as soon as reasonably possible.
As a follow on - is the signage displayed in a location, at a height, in a typeface that a first time visitor could understand while entering the area with a black cab 12 inches off his back bumper? Probably not! Photo evidence of the signage might be useful, if there is any doubt.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 09/10/2008 at 18:15

Alleged bus lane incursion - Orson {P}
Going back to whether a talivan (nice phrase!) can get you from over the central reservation - yes it can.
I was caught by one 2 years ago, whom I saw in plenty of time, but didn't slow for, thinking that he was working on the into town carriageway, rather than out of town, where I was.
My own stupid fault.

Edited by Orson {P} on 09/10/2008 at 18:27

Alleged bus lane incursion - BARNEY70
Coincidentally, my daughter has received a penalty notice today for entering the same bus lane in Station Approach. She dropped me off at the station in what we thought was the drop off zone however it seems to be a bus line or in truth an elongated bus stop. The actual drop off point is a few yards further on and was blocked by a coach on the day in question so you could not actually tell from the signage where the approved drop off zone began. I have been informed today that not only is there CCTV but the buses themselves carry cameras! We were in the lane/at the bus stop for a minute at most. This point and the drop off zone carry double yellow lines.
Alleged bus lane incursion - Cloud_Cirrus
SNAP!! Did the same thing on 18th July, the penalty notice was sent out on the 7th October. Being a Reading resident I am at a complete loss as to how I entered a bus lane, my infringement was going East To West.

I was going to ask for video footage as I drop of and pick up at Reading Station fairly often, so if I have made an honest mistake I would like to know so I don't repeat it. However, doing some research I discovered that the regulations state that the penalty notice should be issued within 28 days, so I have today appealed.

My problem is that I was driving a friends car and he only just opened the letter as he has been working abroad. I hope I'm in time for the appeal and that my challenge works!!

Reading Borough Council have contracted out their penalty notice procedure, I'm not sure if this means they have contracted out the video footage as well. If they haven't, as I actually work for Reading Borough Council I will be hot-footing it down to the 'traffic' bit tomorrow and asking to see the footage.

My info came from here: www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20052757.htm Part 3, Section 8.
Cloud_Cirrus, I think you've misread the information around issuance of the NIP. They actually have up to 6 months to issue the notice, you have 28 days to respond to it once you've received it. Not the other way round.

I have requested to view the video footage and I am going to the Civic Centre tomorrow to do so. Even though the paperwork has been contracted out, viewings of the CCTV footage are still done at Reading Civic Centre.

I'll let you know what happens. I may appeal if I consider the fine to be unfair.
My understanding of NIPs (might be wrong) is that they have 14 days + maybe 2 for postage time to get a NIP to the registered keeper, this person has 28 days to respond and a summons can be issued up to 6 months after the date of the alleged offence. What you got at Reading was not a NIP, it was a penalty charge notice and I am not aware that there are any time limits for these. Over to DVD!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 21/10/2008 at 11:14

Yes, you're right AS, it's a Penalty Charge Notice. Sorry for the confusion. The prosepct of receving a NIP for my previously mentioned possible speeding past a camera van is playing on my mind today as the 2 weeks are nearly up. This is unrelated to the bus lane issue.

If you check out the link in Cloud_Cirrus's post, that details the time limits on issuing a PCN and it's maximum 6 months so far as I can tell. It is written in the peculiar form of English beloved of the Civil Service, of course, so I may not be understanding it correctly. It's enough to send a normal person to sleep after a few lines.
Alleged bus lane incursion - RichardW
My reading of the link is that they have to send it within 28 days, unless, within 14 days of the offence they have asked for, but not recevied, details (eg reg keeper) - in which case they have a further 6 months to send out the PCN - which means you could receive one up to 7 months after the offence. However, if you receive one after 28 days, then I would ask to see evidence that they have asked for reg keeper details within 14 days - if not, then SI not complied with, and out of process, so no case to answer. Maybe!
Alleged bus lane incursion - R75
I am so glad I moved out from Reading, 28 years spent in the place was quite enough!!!

And of course there is no ulterior motive behind Reading BC issuing these is there, like for instance that they own the towns bus company????..........................Oh wait, they do own the bus company!!!! Which also explains why they do all they can to give as many bus lanes as possible whilst causing maximum disruption to cars!!!
This is a PCN (N'est ce pas?) not a FPN (Mon Dieu) consequently the bus lane incursion is a de-criminalised offence and as such there is no requirement in respect of any NOIP or summons........

It is a PCN offence detected by camera, known as a Reg 10 offence. There are time limits as set out below:

The Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions (England) General Regulations 2007

Reg 10.?(1) An enforcement authority may serve a penalty charge notice by post where?
(a) on the basis of a record produced by an approved device, the authority has reason to believe that a penalty charge is payable with respect to a vehicle which is stationary in a civil enforcement area .

Note it states a stationary offence. I understand that bus lane and box junction offences are now also included.

A regulation 10 penalty charge notice may not be served later than the expiration of the period of 28 days beginning with the date on which, according to a record produced by an approved device.

But if within 14 days of the appropriate date the enforcement authority has requested the Secretary of State (DVLA) to supply the relevant particulars in respect of the vehicle involved in the contravention and those particulars have not been supplied before the expiration of the 28-day period; notwithstanding the expiration of the 28-day period, an enforcement authority shall continue to be entitled to serve a regulation 10 penalty charge notice?for a period of six months beginning with the appropriate date.

As will be seen from this the LA have you over a barrel for how do you dispute these times, especially where request made to DVLA in 14 days and they have not replied within 28 days?

dvd

Reg 10.?(1) An enforcement authority may serve a penalty charge notice by post where?
(a) on the basis of a record produced by an approved device the authority has
reason to believe that a penalty charge is payable with respect to a vehicle which
is stationary in a civil enforcement area .
Note it states a stationary offence. I understand that bus lane and box junction offences
are now also included.

Thanks, DVD. Does this mean that I have only comitted an offence if I have stopped whilst in the bus lane? I.E. If I have just driven through or across one without stopping, then there is no case to answer?
Hang on DVD. You are quoting parking regulations. The link in Cloud_Cirrus's post describes bus lane contraventions, which is what is at issue here. I don't think I'm being done for parking in one, just driving in or across one.
Bus lanes - LA will make Traffic Regulation Order as to what is allowed/exempt in respect of movement/parking in a Bus lane.

Typical Bus Lane Order:

www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1997/19972402.htm

Note it does not just include parking on a Bus lane.

LA's can apply under Section 144 Transport Act 2000 and be granted permission to decriminalise the offence by an Order

i.e. The Bus Lane Contraventions (Approved Local Authorities) (England) Order 2005 and further amendments

and I understand Reading have done this.

This then gives authority for them to invoke

The Bus Lane Contraventions (Penalty Charges, Adjudication and Enforcement) (England) Regulations 2005

Part 2 Reg 3: A penalty charge may be imposed only on the basis of a record produced by an approved device. (camera)

Penalty charge notices
Reg 8. ?(1) Where an approved local authority have reason to believe that a penalty charge is payable with respect to a vehicle, they may, serve a notice ("penalty charge notice") on the person appearing to them to be the owner of the vehicle or on the person appearing to them to be the person liable to pay the charge.

A penalty charge notice shall be served before the end of the period of 28 days beginning with the detection date.

(3) Where?
(a) within 14 days of the detection date an approved local authority have made a request to the Secretary of State (DVLA) for the supply of relevant particulars; and

(b) those particulars have not been supplied before the date after which the authority would not be entitled to serve a penalty charge notice (28 days).

the authority shall continue to be entitled to serve a penalty charge notice for a further period of six months beginning with the date mentioned in sub-paragraph (b).

All this mirrors what I posted earlier at which time I mistakenly ( I was in a rush as SHMBO wanted the spend) thought that that all had been brought under one umbrella.

Any clearer?

dvd
Yes, thank you.

In other words, like you said, they've got us over a barrel. They can issue a PCN within 6 months, whatever happens. Why don't they just say that and be done with it. Blooming bureaucrats.

I think it will only be worth contesting the charge if, on viewing the footage, it has been issued incorrectly. Which I find unlikely, but I'm willing to invest an hour to go and take a squizz, even if it only serves to remind me that I'm getting old and, even though I don't remember doing it, I did do it, or, if it shows that my local authority are quite happy to take money off me in additon to my eye watering council tax for an incredibly petty act such as cutting a corner of a bus lane.
Alleged bus lane incursion - Alby Back
This all happened nearly 30 years ago but serves to illustrate that nothing changes really.

I used to live in Edinburgh.
I worked for a company based in Norwich.
They provided me with a company car leased from a company in Guildford.
I went to Carlisle on business one day.
I wrongly but inadvertantly went into a newly created bus lane while in Carlisle. As soon as I had done it I realised my mistake and came out of it again.

Three months later I had a visit at home from the Edinburgh Police. The officers concerned at least had the grace to be a bit apologetic. They questioned me about the incident which I could just about remember.

Subsequently, I received notice of a court case to accuse me of this heinous deed. I was given the option of attending if I wished to contest or writing to admit my guilt.

So here's the paper path........

Carlisle traffic warden observes and notes the inadvertant 5 yard bus lane use and immediate rectification.
Carlisle Police are informed.
Car is traced to Guildford leasing co.
Carlisle Police contact Guildford Police
Guildford Police visit leasing company to gain further info.
Guildford Police inform Carlisle Police that the car is on lease to a Norwich company
Carlisle Police contact Norwich Police
Norwich Police visit my head office to get more info.
Norwich Police inform Carlisle Police that the car is at my house in Edinburgh
Carlisle Police ask Edinburgh Police to follow up.
Edinburgh Police visit me
Edinburgh Police inform Carlisle Police of my details
Carlisle Police pass my info to Carlisle council
Carlisle council bring a prosecution which goes to court
I plead guilty by letter

I get fined a fiver.........

That was worth it then.

That was worth it then.

And as any jobsworth will tell you, it is worth it now.

All mobilephones to be registered in future, no purchase allowed without ID and proof of address. Thousands more jobs to be created to keep all your phone and email traffic on record to add to the MOT, MIB and other databases.

Keeps the jobsworths employed, but a source of income has to be found to pay for their salaries and pensions.

Alleged bus lane incursion - Bill Payer
..nothing changes really.

I think that illustrates how things *have* changed, and, in fact have been tightened just very recently.

These days that whole trail would be done by letter, at very little cost to the originating authority. The recent change is that anyone who refuses to facilitate this process along its way now faces a very hefty penalty themselves.
Reading is a vast unclean urinal between the London Road and the Bath Road. Obviously it is well worth avoiding by train or car (and anyway actually). If you have to go somewhere near it by train, my advice is to pull the communication cord and get out at Datchet or Taplow or somewhere like that.
Hideous generalisation, Lud.

It's a vastly improved town since I've been here (14 years). Good facilites, some great schools, easy access to London and Heathrow, on the doorstep of beautiful countryside, particularly if you live on the north bank of the Thames. Shed loads of money about to be spent on an expanded train station, new roads and a massive redevelopment of the run down 60s monstrosity around the station.

Yes, about 25% of it is a bit iffy, but what important town does that not apply to?

I am sitting in my Reading office as I type, with wonderful views over the Thames and the Chiltern Hills to the north.

Short of emigrating, there's nowhere else I'd rather live.

Having been born in Taplow and grown up in Windsor, I'd take Reading over either of those suburbs of Slough any day. You can particularly stick Datchet where the sun don't shine, unless you are really in to scrutinising the landing gear of jumbo jets every 30 seconds.
Heh heh Alanovich... one of the good things about frivolous polemic is that you never know where it will lead. Sorry, no offence. Of course I mentioned Datchet and Taplow in the same spirit that people used to mention Timbuktu, as a place no one was ever likely to go near.

I used to pass through Reading often in my pre-car-owning youth, hitching up and down the A4. I liked it better before all the brick redevelopment and inner ring road were there. Had an old aunt, now deceased, who lived in the Western edges of Reading where I used to go to see her. A fairly depressing area.

I went to school in Old Windsor for two years in the mid-fifties. Our playing fields were on Runnymede as was our boathouse. By the riverside back road through Old Windsor there used to be an outfit called the Priory Garage that sold vintage and early post-vintage Aston Martins. Of course they were only about 25 years old then. An ordinary four-seat tourer might go for as little as £250, but I seem to remember a red Ulster at £450... Pity I didn't have any money or a driving licence because I liked the look of them.

And by the way, since you mention close scrutiny of landing gear, my school was under a flight path in certain wind conditions. Mostly piston and propjet planes in those days of course. While turbine planes were fairly quiet when cruising down to land, after taking off they made a very loud flogging, whining noise with propellers on coarse pitch dragging themselves up into the air at a piddling 150mph or so... each one grew slowly to a crescendo over about a minute, but it sounded much longer after a hard day at school when you were trying to sleep. Then the noise would die away quite quickly, but you could already hear the next one approaching, one every two or three minutes.
Well I certainly remember Priory Garage, I had an uncle out in Old Windsor. No idea if it's still there but about 10 years ago it was quite a big MG Rover dealer. Expect there are flats there by now. My parents once toyed with the idea of buying a very old looking house right next door to it (on the left as you look), but wisely passed up the chance. That's a very busy road these days.

I do rememebr there also being a trader/specialist repairer of Triumph cars in a remote part of the village, I think he was even on an island in the Thames. My Mum sold my Dad's old Triumph 2000 to him when Dad died in 1983. It was just too big and heavy to drive for her, once she could face driving again after Dad's accident (killed in motorbike crash) she went and bought a brand new Mitsubishi Colt (A-reg, very posh), the first foreign built car we'd had. Had that weird two gear stick system - 4 speeds plus an extra lever marked "Performance" and "Economy", either of which you could select in any gear. Never seemed to make much difference to the performance of the car but the engine note did increase. Not surprised they didn't catch on.

No offence taken, BTW - I do like to stand up for Reading though, it often gets an undeserved slating!

As for landing gear, my primary school was on the Heathrow flight path when Concorde started flying, the dinner lady always used to blow the whistle during playtime when she heard it approaching so we could all give it a wave. Glorious noise that thing made, how sad we haven't managed to develop mach speed flight at an affordable cost.
Alleged bus lane incursion - R75
I firmly agree with Lud on his description of Reading, and having been born there and lived there the majority of my life I can only say that moving the 50 minutes down the road to just outside the New Forest is by far the best move I ever made!!!! RBC have killed off Reading and turned it into somewhere people work and exist, I don't think any one actually "Lives" there any more!!!

I drove through it for the first time in about 3 years last week and could not believe just how much more of a dump it is compared to the last time I was there!! When I lived there it used to be quicker for me to get to a contract in Southall then it did for me to get to Richfield Ave in the mornings, and I was only going from Earleigh!!
Alleged bus lane incursion - Avant
This may have been answered already - too late at night to face all the legal argument above although I've enjoyed the contrasting views about Reading. I live near there myself and can confirm that if you ask for footage of an alleged bus lane infringement, they do extend the 14-day lower fine rule. (Wokingham Road in my case, momentarily while turning left to go round the back and avoid the patient little poops who love to queue along that stretch of road.)

Reading is not a beautiful place by any standards but it's serviceable - does the job. And you can get out into the countryside quite quickly, unlike in many other towns of this size.

Sonning, where I'm the church organist, is only 2 miles from the town centre and is as pretty a riverside village as you'll find. Do visit the Bull at Sonning if you're in the area - the church owns the pub.

Edited by Avant on 22/10/2008 at 01:29

Alleged bus lane incursion - the swiss tony
Strange how opinions differ!

I work in the outskirts of Reading, and I hate the place!
Reading seems to me, to be one of the most restrictive of places regards options from A to B
Most places I know you can find a wide range of roads you can use to get from one area to another - Reading unless im missing something doesnt!
No real bypass.... the IDR just stops! one second your on an elevated dualcarriageway the next your on a single road ( I know that happens elsewhere but not normally so sharply)

My journey involves Maidenhead to Caversham, my choices are:

via Henley (bit out the way really)

M4 / A33 / IDR = major traffic

A4 cut through Sonning - yup lovely little village, MUCH too much traffic for the road

ummm thats about it!

in the evening it can take a good 1/2 hour to travel 2.5 miles from Caversham to the A4 using Sonning as a cut through, to go via Reading means going out your way AND going though the middle of Reading AARRGGHHH!!!

to sum up... I hate the place!
Alleged bus lane incursion - wotspur

The big question is -Did the guy buy your car ??

I know I sewerved into a bus lane today, around 3.59-(time in opperation 7-10 and 4-7) to allow an ambulance proceed in the opposite direction, should I worry and whats the chances of contesting a possible fine.
If worse comes to the worse have a look at your TRO.

Does it have this exemption?

(a) a vehicle entering or stopping in a bus lane so as to avoid an accident;

........and appeal.

dvd
The big question is -Did the guy buy your car ??

Yes. He had already been to view and was returning with the readies to drive it away. It was an odd sale - a 1995 Fiat Ulysse 2.0S (turbo) petrol, left hand drive, UK registered (I'd imported it myself). 130k miles, no documented service history whatsoever, but ran beautifully with no leaks, used no oil, and was pretty economical for a big car. Bodywork and interior seating were tatty but it was mechanically sound. The guy I bought it from in France was a mechanic and a home servicer, but obviously when selling no-one was going to believe that even though it was true, so I didn't mention it so as not to look shifty. I had loads of interest for it and sold it for £1300 quid with 12 months MOT to a bloke taking it to Italy to leave at his holiday house. It had originally been registered in Spain, re-reg'd in France, then by me in the UK, and now it's registered in Italy. It went within a week on Autotrader, 200 quid under my asking price. Which was pretty difficult to set given the oddness of the car. I think buyer and seller did OK.

A good example of an old car which had what you might call an unappealing history, but was perfectly sound and will probably still run for years.

Right then, back to the original topic and I'm off to see my CCTV footage at 12. I have come to the conclusion that I'm going to be bang(ed?) to rights. I'll post what happens here when I get back.
Well then, I am back and, as suspected, I am 30 pounds lighter.

The CCTV footage clearly shows that I made a left turn out of the station drop off area in to a bus lane and proceeded East along Station Approach, which is clearly marked as "no left turn" for private vehicles.

No point appealing, I just paid up.

I still have no recollection of doing it, just goes to show memory can't always be trusted. I can only imagine it was a momentary lapse of concentration due to having a relative stranger in my car.

The good news is that the extremely pleasant gentlemen who showed me the footage explained that all money (every penny) raised from bus lane contraventions goes directly in to the ReadiBus service, which is a free hail and ride or book by phone bus service for pensioners in Reading. So fair enough.
That is is really a result, if I may say so. You did wrong, inadvertently, and the relatively small sum you paid went to a worthy cause.
Alleged bus lane incursion - Avant
Thanks for that information, Alanovich. I never knew that and I'm glad that my £30 went there (at least I hope it did - I had to send it to somewhere in Sussex).

Would that all fines went to a worthy, or at least identifiable, cause.

Edited by Avant on 22/10/2008 at 21:01