Best Tyres - steve9272
I own a 1.6 automatic 2004 (mk1) focus. I need to buy some new tyres and was wondering if there is a prefered make.
I do a lot of miles each year.
I heard a rumor that some tyres make a lot of road noise on this car, is this true?
thanks.
Best Tyres - Pete Mansell
I ran my MK1 Focus 1.6 on Michelin Energy for 7 years and found them quiet and had a long life. The tyre noise with Pirellis on my current MK2 Focus is poor.
Best Tyres - ifithelps
I think if a tyre is round and black it will make a noise on a Focus.

On mine, a set of Dunlops was the worst, mid-price Avons and Pirellis at about £70 a corner were much better.

Best Tyres - L'escargot
I think if a tyre is round and black it will make a noise on
a Focus.

That's not been my experience. I'm on my second 2.0 Ghia and I have no complaints about tyre noise. The first one (1999) was fitted with Pirelli P6000 and the current one (2003) is fitted with Goodyear Eagle NCT5 ~ both cars 195/60 R15 88V.
Best Tyres - jeremy99
Is noise the main criteria when buying tyres?

Thats the reason why many cars come with Continentals when new but they do not feel so good.

My preferred tyres are Goodyear NCT5 for the best feel and wet grip but I believe Michelins come close with better miles.
Best Tyres - Blue {P}
Just changed the tyres on my gran's 2001 Focus as the originals (yes, really) were getting a little cracked with age, replaced them like for like with Goodyear NCT5's and I have to say that road noise isn't an issue with them.

Best Tyres - mustangman
For my Focus 2, 1.6 tdci, I've just changed the original tyres for mid-priced Falken F432's.
These are as good as the originals, and seem impressive in the wet. They are made in Japan, so quality should be good.