Rover 25 - Andy Paul
I have just received a Rover 25 1.4 as a company car. It is very very slow compared to my old Rover 200 1.4. Apparently I have been told that the engine in the Rover 25 has around 20hp less. Both engines look the same externally. Does anyone know what the difference is? ECU, Camshafts ? Can I uprate the power without my employer noticing?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated as I have to keep this car for three years and to be totally honest the acceleration on this car is pathetic.

Many thanks

Andy.
Re: Rover 25 - honest john
The twin cam multi-point injected Rover K 1.4 puts out 103 brake. But there is also a twin cam version with 83 brake. I gues you must have got that one.

HJ
Re: Rover 25 - Alvin Booth
Andy,
Any modification to the car means the Insurance company has to be informed as I'm sure you already know.
How do you get round that one without the Boss knowing????????.

Alvin
Re: Rover 25 - Andy Paul
Insurance etc is not a problem. I cannot live with a car this slow. Motorway driving is dangerous with this lack of power. I need to know what the differences are between the 83bhp engine and the 103bhp engine. It may be an easy upgrade worth doing. If not I will buy myself a car that will actually accelerate up a hill and give this one back to the company. I know its an expensive solution but I believe it will be much safer.

Any help would be much appreciated

Andy
Re: Rover 25 - David Lacey
Yep - easy one this one. To identify which engine you have (the engines are identical) just remove the air inlet pipe to the throttle body - and look at the throttle valve. Open the throttle manually using the spindle to which the throttle cable attaches to and see how far the valve actually opens. If it opens fully, then you've got the 103PS model. If it only opens half way or thereabouts, then you've got the 84PS model.
A simple throttle body and throttle cable change is all that is required to increase the performance to 103PS spec, as you have been used to previously.
The price difference between the two models is, I think about £600
The conversions we do retail at about £250 and many people have it done.
One thing I will say is that these engines seems to loosen up with use and appear to be more lively.
Cheers
Dave
Re: Rover 25 - Dave
David Lacey wrote:

> If it opens fully, then you've got the 103PS model. If it
> only opens half way or thereabouts, then you've got the 84PS
> model.

Surely you jest!

What do Rover have to gain by reducing the power in such a manner?

Dave
Re: Rover 25 - Diesel Dave
Rover dont want Granny grappling with a 103ps engine on her way to collect her pension ! she was only used to an 1100cc allegro !!!
Re: Rover 25 - Dave
Yeah, I guess 103 bhp could be a bit of a handful to manage... ;-)

Especially if you're a woman...
David,

Thanks very much for the information. It looks like my problems can be solved.
I will be paying the local Rover dealership a visit to order the parts next week. Fitting the parts is not a problem I am sure that I can cope with it.

Once again many thanks

Andy
Re: Rover 25 - David Lacey
Andy - yes you can fit it yourself, no special tools or equipment needed, but don't bank on other Rover dealers knowing about this mod. I don't know the implications upon the vehicle warranty. Whereabouts are you in the UK?
I am based near St. Albans in Hertfordshire.
The warranty will not be a problem as I doubt very much that anyone will suss it out. If required I could swap back to the original components before taking the vehicle to the local dealership.

Andy.
Re: Rover 25 - Andy Paul's Boss
Andy Paul wrote:

>I doubt very much that
> anyone will suss it out.

That's what you think. Give back those keys this instant. You are clearly not mature enough to be given this nice Rover.

And stop surfing the net on firm's time.

The Boss