Electric Windows - NorfolkDriver
Oh, the joy of having electric windows. For the past 5 years I have exercised my right arm when needing a bit more air in the car.

Two weeks ago, I invested in a slightly newer car. This time with electric windows.

So there I am, this morning, at a customers house over an hour away from my gaff. As I'm leaving I lower the window to finish the conversation. The window goes all the way down and refuses to move.

Please dont forget the weather that East Anglia have suffered today, and I now had to drive home in it, minus a window for protection.

Oh what joy it was. NOT.

AA have just been, and the switch is stuck in the "down" position. At least the nice man has now raised the window.

Guess I'll be going back to the garage tomorrow.
Electric Windows - yorkiebar
Progress?

These luxuries are great when they work !

I know manual windows can fail (especially micra ) but happens a lot less than electric windows!

But I dont mind, its good for business :)
Electric Windows - Happy Blue!
Unlucky.

Have had electric windows for at least 15 years and never had a problem. Being able to turn off the rear ones so the children can't play is a great idea.
Electric Windows - Dynamic Dave
Being able to turn off the rear ones so the children can't play is a great idea.

And annoying rear passengers by opening the windows and then disabling their buttons ;o)
Electric Windows - Aretas
I have had a wind-up passenger window fail when 500 miles from home. (BMW 2002TII).

Duct tape to get home and a scrapyard mechanism to solve it.
Electric Windows - tyro
I don't like electric windows, and have never had them on one of my cars.

I'm a bit concerned about the future, though. It is getting increasingly difficult to get manual windows in this country. Are other countries different, I wonder?
Electric Windows - ifithelps
Jags used to have a little handle you could plug in to lift/lower the window manually if the electrics failed.

Smiths - remember them? - supplied something similar with their aftermarket electric window kits.
Electric Windows - oldnotbold
The window cable frayed on the 405 minutes before I bought it from a BRer. We agreed a deduction of £100, and when I got home I cut a length of 22mm plastic water pipe to length, with a V in the top, inserted under the glass inside the door cavity. It holds the window up very well, and if I need fresh air I open the passenger window, or the sun-roof...

Edited by oldnotbold on 06/10/2008 at 11:23

Electric Windows - movilogo
The front passenger side electric window in my previous car could not be lowered (if lowered, it demanded some dexterity from my fingers to put it back between rubbers while coming up). Not bothered to fix as garage demanded £100 for it.

When I sold it, fortunately the buyer didn't try to test the window :)
Electric Windows - Mapmaker
The only window that has ever failed on me was a manual one, on a Renault 21. Fortunately you could lift it back up again by grabbing hold of the glass which worked very well for many months... until one day I took the car for a new tyre, and the spanner-monkey jumped in and straight away wound the window right down before I could shout, "stop".
Electric Windows - Group B
My Dad had problems with them on an Alfa 166. He once had to drive home in the rain with a window stuck down, and on another occasion, had an important meeting and had to leave the car with the window down for an hour in the centre of Sheffield.
Not very safe but he was at the end of his tether with the useless main dealers so took the risk.

For me though I've had 4 cars with electric windows, have only had 1 problem in more than 9 years of motoring, a rear window that did not fail just went slow and needed guides lubricating.