New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - Alby Back
I am usually a bit of a brand snob when it comes to tyres. Not obsessively so, in so far as I wouldn't care if they were Contis or Pirellis or Michelins or such. Just that as I do a fair old mileage with a full load on most of the time Ive managed to convince myself not to skimp on tyres and have avoided budget brands.

However, one of my cars is needing a new pair of boots and I can see that I could pay as little as £60 each instead of the £110-£120 I would have to fork out for pukka branded ones.

Not especially asking for advice on the wisdom of this as I am more interested in finding out for myself what, if any, difference it makes to wear life, handling, ride quality etc. For those who are concerned that I'll become a danger to myself and others by doing this I promise to take extra care !

What I would like to ask is has anyone else bought cheapo but new tyres recently and been pleased with them or are there any horror stories ? Also, are any particular ones less nasty than the rest ?
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - Kevin
What size and speed rating are you looking for and what will they be fitted to?

In my experience, a particular tyre can perform well on one vehicle and poorly on another.

I've been using Kumho Ecsta (245/50-16W) for a while now on a Chevy Z28 and they are almost indistiguishable from the OEM fit Goodyear Eagles which aren't available in the UK.

Other so-called premium brands have been a disaster.

Kevin...
215/50/17 to go on VX Signum 2.2 Direct Design. Replacing 2 Goodyear Eagles.
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - tyro
Back in Feb 2005, I needed a new pair of tyres for my Berlingo and expected the Citroen dealer would fit Michelin Energy, since that was what the car came with. Instead, they fitted Hankooks - which were quite a bit cheaper (£68 for 2). I was a bit annoyed, since I believe in getting "good tyres". However, they have done fine, and are wearing very well, and I can't say I've noticed any difference.

Was I converted? No - I still believe in sticking with Michelin or Continental.
I had Hankooks on my Westfield Tyro and that stuck to corners like......toffee....to a blanket.
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - The Purifier
I think you might be able to get Toyo Proxes for that price. My car had budget Wanli tyres on when I bought it and the lack of grip in the wet was appalling. There was also bad tramlining over white lines. Replaced those for a set of Bridgestone RE050As and the tramlining stopped and theres so much more grip
I seem to remember that you can put 225/45/17s staight on these as well. Some models had them as standard fit. Think it was DD who mentioned he'd done that on his Vectra and that it had improved the handling noticeably. Sorry Dave, if I've got that wrong..Prices seem similar brand for brand.

Edit - would of course change all 4 in that instance.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 04/10/2008 at 21:42

New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - Dynamic Dave
I seem to remember that you can put 225/45/17s staight on these as well. Some
models had them as standard fit. Think it was DD ....

Yep, was me - 225/45/17's are cheaper than 215/50/17's because there is more choice available.

The main reason for the handling improving was because I got shot of the NCT5's that were previously fitted. Awful tyres, IMHO.

I thought you were selling/sold the Signum?

That aside, there are also many debates of what brand of tyres to fit over on Vectra-C.com.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/10/2008 at 03:37

Thanks Dave. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure ! To be truthful I'm not 100% happy with the Signum. It's very very clever in some ways and much more economical than I could have hoped. My main gripes are that the handling isn't as sweet as as the Mondeo and nor is it as comfortable on a long run. Common sense says that I should keep it for a bit though as I would lose too much by selling now. I've managed to add 10k to the odometer in 2 months so it can't be that bad ! Maybe the tyre size change option would go some way to improving things. Bit too vague and understeery for my taste at the moment. There have also been a number of minor but niggly faults which in themselves were insignificant but something I had not experienced on a succession of Mondeos which have just got on with the job without issues.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 05/10/2008 at 09:36

New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - gordonbennet
DD, did changing the tyre size to 45 aspect from 50 not make the ride harder, or did the improvements make up for it.

My MB's standard size is 195/65 x 15, seems barely believable on a car likely to hit 150, they made the ride very comfortable but the handling was so so and the car would roll a lot on bends.
Its now on 225/45 x 17 toyo's for summer use, and the ride quality is admittedly not great any more, but the handling and grip and zero roll make up for it.
Just out of interest i removed a almost new set of goodyear F1's as when the tyres were cold, even summer, wheelspin far too easily and they would take a couple of miles to loose the overnight flat spots, was like driving on threepenny bits until they got warm, that probably wouldn't worry someone who does Humph's mileage, as once warm transformed to excellent, but as a commute car it annoyed a lot.

I would have thought the signum's ride would be very good Humph, don't suppose you've tried a saloon in comparison but as the signum and vectra estate have a longer wheelbase than the saloon, i have found them to be very smooth over undulating ground, is there anyone you know who has fitted the 225/45's who would let you drive their car to see if the ride is much worse.
Just a thought, very little give in a 45.

Always intersting to hear which tyres satisfy, last time i looked they were the only things touching the road.;)
DD did changing the tyre size to 45 aspect from 50 not make the ride
harder or did the improvements make up for it.

The ride is fairly hard anyway, which for an Elite model was surprising. To be honest I haven't noticed any difference changing from 50 to 45 profile.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/10/2008 at 13:47

Maybe the tyre size change option would go some way to improving things. Bit too vague and understeery for my taste at the moment.

I recall from your previous thread that your Signum has Goodyear NCT5's fitted - that'll be the reason why it's so 'vague and understeery'. My Vectra was the same until I changed to Goodyear GSD3's. Admittedly I've only changed the front tyres - the rears still have NCT5's fitted, but it has significantly transformed the handling of the car.
Had Toyo Proxes on a Merc C-class at one time adatto. Very grippy but wore quite quickly I seem to recall.
Try here Humph. tinyurl.com/4jl2wb

I value Vredesteins a lot, but one of the most respected posters on one of my MB forums swears by those Federal S595's, seem quite a bargain to me.

Not saying anything about Chinese ditchfinders this time..;)
>>Chinese ditchfinders

;-)

That's torn it GB. Can't do it now.........

:-(

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 04/10/2008 at 22:03

New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - SuperBuyer
Try Maxxis - £45 a wheel on mine - 16" or £60 for 18" for the A3...
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - corblimeyguvnar
Hankook, Kumho, Federal, Barum all good 'cheaper' brands, especially Kumhos, had these on the Pug for 30k now and still got 4mm left with excellent grip.
Have Runway Enduros on the C15, very cheap and good wear rate but grip is dodgy in the wet, which on the van isnt so bad as cant get any speed out of her but wouldnt put them on anything with a bit of oomph.
LingLong, Wanli, Kingstar, Tigar not very good at any price.
Definitely never ever fit Arrowspeed, terrible grip and wont last 15k even if you are light on the go fast pedal.

Check out Camskill, usually about the best price tyres delivered.

CBG

Edited by corblimeyguvnar on 04/10/2008 at 22:46

Thanks cbg - gb's link took me there. Some good prices.
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - corblimeyguvnar
Oops that'll teach me to check out others tiny links.
Plenty of other on line sellers too , Etyres, Mytyres, Blackcircles, Tyreexpress, Tyreshopper, Tyetraders, Pneus, all worth a look if you have a few minutes.
Yes I will, had a look at BC earlier and they were where I saw some sub £60.

GB's put me off now though........

Might change my mind in the morning. Mrs B is in new furniture mode so choices may be influenced by how much she feels we need more cushions or whatever.....
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - vincey
Hi HB, I run a Fiat Croma with 17" wheels 215/50/17 tyres but when I came to replace the Bridgestones originally fitted, I wanted Goodyear Eagle F1, for my size the price was around £120 each, I found I could fit 225/45/17 and I found these for £68 each. cheers
Goodyears at that price Vincey ?
Agree with CBG about mytyres especially worth a butchers, they sometimes have prices that are obviously mistakes which they do honour, i've picked up some great bargains occasionally, got 5 yokohama's for the pick up for 70 a corner that are usually 110/120 a corner, and in fact were a couple of days later.

My son bought a 528i with new 'corsa' tyres, unusual BM in that it had unintentional 4 wheel steering..;)

Are you avidly reading peoples assessments of your potential tyres on 'tyretest' Humph?
tyretest, wassat then ?
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - tyro
Google takes one to . . . www.tyretest.com/
tyretest wassat then ?

tinyurl.com/4hm7rc

Don't take all views as gospel, you'll see what i mean, and some people can't fathom the scoring either, but its one of several sites i use to get a general feel for users views about their tyres.
Crikey - those guys take their tyres seriously don't they. Think I shall just buy some round ones with a name I've heard of......
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - Pugugly
Bit like shoes really.
Bullseye PU. Decent tyres it is. Cheap cushions
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - AlastairW
Couldnt recommend Federals tbh. They seem very hardwearing, but seem to spin at the slightest provocation (ie: not when playing traffic lights grand prix). I amp currently trying to wear them out so that I can justify buying some decent rubber.
The old saying 'buy cheap, buy twice' seems very apt.
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - George Porge
H.B try Hot Lane Tyres in Burslem, its worth the price of the phone call.

;o)
Thanks Dox, I will, and thanks to all other responders. This site really helps you to make the right decisions sometimes.
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - cheddar
Only scanned this thread though just to say I have been running Falken FK452s for a while now, excellent wet and dry, made in Japan and a premium brand tyre in Germany, Japan and the US though not heavily marketed here.

I had previously paid well over £100 for Contis and £90 for Bridgestones, also £90 a tyre for the first four Falkens though I have just got two replacement Falkens for £140!

Just been out and checked the tread depth on all 4. Fronts are definitely due but even the backs are only just north of 2mm. Think the lower profile wider jobbies are in the frame.

;-)

Very cheap cushions will now be negotiated with SWMBO.............

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 05/10/2008 at 11:26

New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - Stuartli
National is still selling the Barum (part of Continental) and Avon tyres on a BOGOF basis.

I've had the Chinese Event 16in low profile XL tyres on my Bora for 11 months now - much quieter than the previous Michelin and Pirelli examples which I had and, at £40 a tyre fitted, a darn sight cheaper.

Two of my local tyre outlets sell them and in the case of one at least, which I and friends have used extensively, it wouldn't sell anything that would/might let down its reputation.

However, only a few days after I bought them, National sent me a news letter stating it had revived the Barum/Avon BOGOF offer...:-(
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - ifithelps
Humph,

How about getting the old tyres recycled as granules and use the granules to refill the cushions?
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - George Porge
tinyurl.com/4q2dft

Tyre manufacturers are feeling the pinch, Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli etc are laying off or cutting back on shifts and production.

The price of oil, electricity and gas hit them hard
I'll mention the granules idea. Can't see why there would be any objections.........
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - smokescreen
Have been using Marshall (also known as Kumho) KH 35s since October 2007. Wear rate excellent, much quieter and far better grip in the wet than the Michellin Energy 3As they replaced. At £50/boot at 195/55/15, great value for money too.
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - jc2
Currently running on Pneumants;turning out to be better than the Firestones they replaced.
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - darnsarf
I've had Nokians a few times on the recommendation of my local independent dealer, they've been very good and cheap too. Tyretest seems to rate them well fwiw..
Darnsarf, you wouldn't care to name your local indy would you, very difficult to obtain Nokians here except for one of the online suppliers mentioned above, and i wouldn't mind trying a set of Nokian winter's on my car.
You could always get one of the mods to forward the info if you'd rather not...thats if you and they don't mind.
Thanks anyway.

That Humph, he's timed these tyre purchases well to coincide with the Lady H's furniture plans, i can see why he's so good in business..;) i wonder if he'll win this one?
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - prm72
I recently had Falken 452's fitted on my Volvo S60, reccomended by the firm that did them and they seem very good for the price although they do tramline very slightly, might try Goodyear Excellence or the new F1 Assymetric next time.
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - davmal
Am quite pleased with the low noise and ride of Maxxis tyres which replaced some noisy, short lived Dunlop sp 2050s. At only £70 each (205/50/17/93XL) quite good value. Not really interested in how many G I can pull in a corner so handling isn't an issue, they go, stop and ride well enough for me.
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - darnsarf
"Darnsarf, you wouldn't care to name your local indy would you"

They are a small and rather old-fashioned company but I have always had good service from them:
Car Tyre Clinic, Chichester Road, Sidlesham Common, Chichester, West Sussex. PO20 7PY 01243 641295

Edited by darnsarf on 05/10/2008 at 13:54

Thanks DS, i shall give them a call in the week.
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - barchettaman
Falken ZIEX ZE-912 215/50 R17 91V TH , 68.40 quid at mytyres.co.uk
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - Snakey
I've used Falkens and Kumhos recently and I'm happy with them. No so happy with the Infinitys fitted by the dealer (i.e the cheapest he could find!) as they are rubbish in the wet.

The size of tyres on my vectra (215/55/16) seems to be rarer than expected considering the number of Vectra C's on the road!
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - jase1
I've always thought that if a brand is good enough to be used as an OEM, then it's good enough for me.

Hankook and Kumho fall into this category -- and at prices commonly no more than 10-20% higher than the ultra-cheap Mohawk/Durun etc, they're decent value as well. Grip seems fine and they last well.

Bit like buying Samsung and LG electronics a few years back -- these companies had years of experience building products for the big brands for years before they became respected brands in their own right.
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - BobbyG
If you give me a month or so, and a decent vaccuum cleaner, I will be able to make you a set of tyres!!

My son plays football 4 times a week on various artificial pitches and I believe the tiny black "balls" used on these pitches come from recycling of tyres!

They are everywhere, car, bedroom, hallway, clothing - you name it!!
Snakey

Here's some cheap 215/55/16 tyres:

tinyurl.com/4lbs8h

Same make as mine:

tinyurl.com/47bzkt (pair)

Bit dearer:

tinyurl.com/4blqm5

Dearer:

www.tyresdelivered.co.uk/tyres/goodyear/eagle%20f1...6

Edited by Stuartli on 06/10/2008 at 16:00

Might also be of interest:

tinyurl.com/4o9yor
Not my day - see they are not stocked at the moment. Bit pointless having a web page really...:-(

I had a set of Colway tyres some years ago and they proved more than adequate.

Edited by Stuartli on 06/10/2008 at 16:15

New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - TheOilBurner
All I would say is that whatever tyres you pick, make sure the fitter pays close attention when balancing them. The Vectra/Signum is very sensitive to poorly balanced wheels, it took 4 attempts at 3 different places to balance the front wheels when I swapped them for new ones. Only a Vauxhall dealer seemed able to do it right without any fuss, probably because they'd done plenty of them before.
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - Phil I
Slightly off topic as have already made decision to put 2 Bridgestone Turanza ER300 205/65/ R15/ V on the rear of my QX. Pricewise eTyres are top of the shop with their inclusive pricing. Has anyone experience (good = bad - indifferent) of the mobile fitting service they do?? Tread depth is at 3mm + a bit but need to change before the winter arrives.

Thanks in advance & Happy Motoring Phil I
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - Falkirk Bairn
Son used them 3 mths back but like any mobile operation they are only as good as the HO appointment / fitter.

They mucked up the fitting appt as the driver had to drive 50 mls to get the tyres (odd size) but when they eventually turned up the chap was pleasant, quick and made a good job (fitting, balancing and not scraping the alloys) - even wiped the excess tyre soap off the tyres - never happens at Kwik-fit / Costco / ...........in my experience.
New tyres - Going to try some cheapies - Snakey
Stuartli - thanks for trying - You can never rely on stock levels! I've never actually bought tyres from ebay - once postage and fitting has been added in its always been very close to that of a local fitter (who is easier to contact in the event of a problem)

Last Kumhos I bought were £80 each, from camskill these were £68 each plus £10 per wheel fitting at a local dealer. I like to save money but £4 didn't seem worth the hassle!