01 1.0 Oil warning light - mikem004
I bought this car 3 weeks ago. When the mornings started to get cold a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the engine was loud on cold starts. Also, the gear change was a bit metallic and clunky. There was also a noise as it went round corners, which I thougtht was the radiator rattling. Now I know why...
The oil warning light flickered on this morning when I had driven 400m from home. I drove back home 400m and checked the oil. The first time the dip stick came out, there was plenty of oil. The next time the dipstick was very low.
So, I started up (!) and drove 800m to the local garage. The light flicked on briefly during the journey. I put 2 litres of 15/40 oil in. The car then started up and drove without problems. A lot quieter, with smoother gear change. Maybe less power when you get to max revs. in 5th. Maybesome vibration when pulling away at low revs in 2nd. But I don't know if I am imagining this.

Have I got away without permanent damage? I suppose only time will tell...
Incidentally, when I bought the car, I measured the oil using the measure-wipe-measure dipstick technique and there was plenty of oil in the car. My older 95 Micra never needed any oil top ups whatsoever.
There is no apparent oil leak. So I will have to keep checking the level regularily.

Fingers crossed.
Mike
Now, after reading up on the web, I am worried that I may have put too much oil in! (However, the dipstick only registers normal oil level and the oil is not up to the brim when I open the filler cap.

Anything to worry about? Otherwise, I was thinking of booking an oil & filter change tomorrow to get the whole system drained and refilled.

Mike
Correction. The dipstick level is 1 inch over the max. A bit too high methinks...

Mike
01 1.0 Oil warning light - jc2
Much too high.
01 1.0 Oil warning light - Armitage Shanks {p}
In many cars the distance between Max and Min on the dipstick represents 1 litre. May be a Micra, with a smaller engine, would not do this. What you describe is an overfill for sure. What does the handbook say?
The Haynes manual says the oil capacity is 3.5litres, including the oil filter. So it looks like I overfilled it.
Anyway, I got an oil + filter change at Kwik-Fit at the weekend, so the level is now OK.
However, I reckon there is some damage done. The car drives OK about town. But over 50mph, there is an ominous vibration from below the driver seat.

Mike