94 2.0 MOT Question - Door Handles - Maceman
Hi all,

MOT due soon and door handles don't work properly. The doors do close securely but the springs have gone on three of the door handles so you have to physically push the handle back into position before closing the door or esle it will not close. As long as you push the handles back down before you get in the car it's fine.

Is this an MOT fail?? Should I point it out to the tester?

Thanks
94 2.0 MOT Question - Door Handles - Dynamic Dave
Can the doors be latched securely in the closed position?

If so, then fine. I guess they can providing you push the handles back into position, so *might* well be worth pointing out to the tester. Ideally though, they should spring back themselves.

Below is the official line, regarding the test.

www.motuk.co.uk/manual_620.htm

94 2.0 MOT Question - Door Handles - Maceman
Thanks Dave,

Just rang a test centre and they said they would fail it - I thought the same as you that it should pass because they can be securely latched, maybe different testers would take a different view?

94 2.0 MOT Question - Door Handles - mhi
I have had two out of the four door handles on my Espace go stiff and not return. In each case the spring was fine. I took the handle out of the door (I've become quite practised at removing and replacing door trim to get at the lock and latch mechanisms), scrubbed it clean, lubricated and replaced it. Those two doors have latched fine ever since.

Central locking motors sticking, a plastic inner handle snapping, a wire breaking where the wiring loom flexes as a door opens and closes, and most recently a faulty electric window switch -- the door fittings seem to need attention about twice a year.