Mondeo smelly air system - Martin Cope
When using the air con or not I have a smell emitting from the air system, sometimes the windscreen steams up. My local garage has advised me that the cost for this is around £100.00, this indicates to me that this is a relatively small job and possible within my capability?
I have read articles on this web site and advice given has not sorted the problem out, and by the way it is the best web site to date that I have found for car related problems.
I work in a technical office full of anoraks of which I am one and have passed this web site address to all (so be warned we all have problems and answers).
Questions: -
a. how to remove this smell (I understand that bacteria is the problem).
b. where to obtain a solution to remove this bacteria.
c. how to apply and where to apply.
d. a diagram of the internal air distribution system.
e. instructions!!
Many thanks

Martin
Mondeo smelly air system - Dynamic Dave
When using the air con or not I have a smell
emitting from the air system, sometimes the
windscreen steams up.

Sounds to me like the drain hole is blocked. Not sure where it is on a Mondeo, but generally it is a short rubber pipe hanging down from the bulkhead in the engine bay.
Thanks Dave I will have a look around the engine bay in the daylight tomorrow.

Martin

Mondeo smelly air system - Dave N
There is a proper Ford procedure for cleaning the a/c system that books at 1.25 hours, so £100 looks about right. However, it doesn't mention checking the drain tube, but in light of the recent humid weather, if this was blocked, your passenger's feet would already have told you this.

You can try one of the aerosol products, but many are nothing more than a deodrant, rather than being anti-bacterial. As you say the windows steam up, are you sure there's no damp in the car from other sources, like wet carpets? Take a good look under the carpets, as Mondeos weren't immune from water leaks that can smell when left. Also check the recirc flap isn't stuck in recirc position.
Dave,
Thanks for replying so fast, I have examined the carpets for signs of damp but have not found any.
The interior of the car is dry and clean, where is the recirc flap situated and how do I check its operation.

Martin
There is a proper Ford procedure for cleaning the a/c system
that books at 1.25 hours, so £100 looks about right. However,
it doesn't mention checking the drain tube, but in light of
the recent humid weather, if this was blocked, your passenger's feet
would already have told you this.
You can try one of the aerosol products, but many are
nothing more than a deodrant, rather than being anti-bacterial. As you
say the windows steam up, are you sure there's no damp
in the car from other sources, like wet carpets? Take a
good look under the carpets, as Mondeos weren't immune from water
leaks that can smell when left. Also check the recirc flap
isn't stuck in recirc position.

Mondeo smelly air system - svpworld
Check the pollen filter, perhaps its damp or in need of replacement. After a lot of rain, I sometimes get a very slight damp smell coming from the vent system when I run the fan and found it to be sludge and leaves in the drain tube (near the wipers and usually in the middle below). You could try opening all the windows on a hot day and running the fan full blast, perhaps also spraying some antibacterial spray into the vent intakes (when there's no one in the car!) or air freshener. Maybe do this with the pollen filter removed so as to clean out the "tubes"? I know my cavvy done the same when I bought it, the windows would mist up terrible.. just water collecting in the intakes.
Thanks svpworld,I have changed the filter and removed some leaves at the same time I cleaned the internal filter case with Carbon Tech.
Martin

Mondeo smelly air system - Andy P
Using the air conditioning causes condensation to form in the ducts, and this can become a breeding ground for moulds, fungus and so on. Honda recommend that the air con is periodically run with the heat turned on fully to dry out the ducts. I do this on my Accord and so far I haven't suffered from any nasty niffs.

Andy
Many thanks Andy,
I have tried max heat for 1 hour on both re circ and new air this cured the fault for about four days.

I am currently trying a product called Airco Fresh I saturated all air input apertures checked for seepage to the passengers foot well placed a paper towel to check (seepage found) no blocked drain?

Martin