Ford / PSA 2.2 diesel engine - cheddar
Over a year ago I speculated that Ford may use a single turbo variable vane version of the twin turbo 2.2 engine fitted to the 407 etc though with the same power and torque figures as the twin turbo. This because the spec for this engine was quoted in the Ford / PSA tech spec published for the engine family along side the 175 bhp twin turbo and 150bhp single turbo version used in the Freelander.

It seems that this 175 bhp single variable vane turbo 2.2 is the engine used in the new Mondeo, has anyone driven both versions, the twin turbo in the 407 etc and the single turbo in the Mondeo?

With regard to the latter HJ says "Single turbo 2.2 litre 175PS diesel is outstandingly flexible. Will pull cleanly from 1,000rpm in 3rd uphill."
Ford / PSA 2.2 diesel engine - morellomax
Have driven the twin turbo version in a rental 807 and so I suppose I can compare that to the single turbo version in my S-Max, but the 807 itself was such a dog compared to the S-Max that I'm struggling !

What I can say is that the Ford single turbo implementation of the 2.2 is at least as good as HJ says, provided you have the latest PCM (engine management) mapping, which was issued late June but is hard for dealers to track down. That cures the stumbling/hesitation reported by me and others.

For 2.2 owners coming across this thread who have the problem, your dealer needs to do a "symptom based diagnosis" and describe the problem as "hesitation" occurring "intermittently" during "acceleration". Like some ancient spell, those magic words will prompt your dealer's diagnostic system to offer revised PCM software for downloading.
Ford / PSA 2.2 diesel engine - Jase
Why did Ford elect to pursue the single turbo implementation instead of the twin turbo? Is it because they thought one turbo could do just as good a job for the customer but with reduced complexity for Ford?

I too would be interested to read a side by side comparison.
Ford / PSA 2.2 diesel engine - cheddar
Why did Ford >>

I think it was partly to do with the adoption of a different approach to particulates, that being said I am not sure what system the 2.2 Mondeo / S-Max etc employs, will look into it.