Fuel saving through mapping. - G.Neil
I was told that if i had my van re-mapped i could get better fuel consumption, I thought mapping would give me more power, how can i get better fuel consuption from doing this and is it worth looking into? I would appreciate your veiws, thanks.
Fuel saving through mapping. - andyfr
It can be done for performance or economy but either way you will have to notify your insurance company who will most likely increase your premium for the modification.
Fuel saving through mapping. - oldtoffee
Your van will be set up to operate all round the world in different climates and operating conditions with a wide variance in the quality of the fuel available. So, here in the gentle climate of the UK with good quality fuel, a quality remap for your particular vehicle will optimise the fuel and air mixture settings and potentially make a slight improvement in economy.

It's worth looking into if you've carried out all the usual improvements you can do at low or no cost such as tyre pressures, driving techniques, 10mph off your maximum speed, removing unnecessary weight, new oil, fuel treatment to clean injectors/system. If all these aren't giving you the improvements you want and a remap will and you can recoup the cost in a reasonable period then yes it is worth looking in to. It's got to be impossible for the providers of the remap to guarantee a specific level of improvement so you could ask to try it out for a week, monitor your economy and if you don't realise what you expect, ask them to reset back to standard and you pay nothing.
Fuel saving through mapping. - craig-pd130

Most of the time you don't use the extra torque available with a remap, so many people find no significant fuel consumption penalty in everyday driving.

A number of people I know that have had remaps, haven't had to pay extra on their insurance after notifying, which I thought was unusual.
Fuel saving through mapping. - Lud
If the efficiency of an engine is improved, but the car isn't driven any faster, then there can well be a gain in economy. The late Bill Blydenstein, who sold Vauxhall tuning kit and made camshafts, believed the right modifications would improve both performance and economy. He also liked the way his modified cars - petrol and carburettor as a rule of course - became quicker over time, as a bit of carbon built up in the combustion chambers increasing the compression ratio.

But Blydenstein was a minimalist who thought subtle changes were often worthwhile. He was quite right of course from a road driver's point of view, but the tuning market in those days was (and probably still is) crowded with seekers and offerers of spectacular power increases for rubber-burning and pub boasting purposes, with driveability often compromised. Of course wonders are achievable with modern engine management provided the basic engineering is up to it. I am thinking of Skyline GTRs which seem to accept very high levels of tweaking without getting prima donnaish.
Fuel saving through mapping. - injection doc
On some diesels the remapping or fine tune can just be a module designed to convert analouge signals from sensors to digital ones to enhance the accuracy hence a smoother , quieter & more economical engine.
I Doc
Fuel saving through mapping. - Number_Cruncher
>>convert analouge signals from sensors to digital ones to enhance the accuracy

Sorry!, I have to take issue with that statement!

Digital signals for engine sensors can offer improved immunity from noise.

A conversion from analogue to digital cannot improve the accuracy of a measurement - owing to sampling delays and quantisation error, the conversion actually degrades the quality of the signal.

In most cases, the analogue signal is converted to digital at an early stage in the ECU - processors tend to deal exclusively in digital signals.