Was she prosecuted? - scotty
My wife's car was written off a couple of month's back when a young girl in a Cleo ran into the back of her Polo. The Missus has suffered back injury as a result. The Police attended and took statements etc. and the insurance claim is still proceeding.

How can we find out if the other has been or is being prosecuted? I know it would make my wife feel a lot better.
Was she prosecuted? - Altea Ego
know it would make my wife feel a lot better.

How exactly? - revenge? spite? does that make her back better?
Was she prosecuted? - David Horn
Isn't this part of the point of punishments?
Was she prosecuted? - Dwight Van Driver
Speak to the Officer dealing with the accident or his Station?

dvd
Was she prosecuted? - Hamsafar
"Justice must be done and be seen to be done."

Some Police 'teams'? such as Leicestershire do keep you posted by letters, but others such as Notts do not. You could try ringing them and asking, do you have a crime number or anything by which they can identify the incident? One thing which the Police do seem better at is contacting the relevant person, maybe it is these TETRA phones they have?
Was she prosecuted? - Peter D
If your wife runs into the back of a car in six months time should she be prosecuted and have her insurance bumped up for 5 years, a fine and points on her licence. Regards Peter
Thanks for the constructive, helpful replies.

As for the others well, what else should I expect. I could perhaps agree with the sentiments of Peter D and Altea Ego if this had been just a low speed shunt, but this was a full-on heavy impact, writing off both cars, pushing my wife's car forward by a good 25 feet into the face of oncoming traffic in the shape of large yellow wagon, you know the sort of thing it's hard not to notice coming towards to you on narrow humpback bridge. My wife had come to a stop at a big sign saying "Give Way to Oncoming Traffic" on a 30 mph road and the other driver had the cheek to claim my wife "stopped too quickly"!

Personally I think this was a driver who deserves to be taught a lesson.
Was she prosecuted? - shawad
Probably not - more than likely she settled out of court and that was the end of it. Annoying perhaps, but it's up to the police and (in scotland) the fiscal to decide if it's in the public interest to spend the time and money on prosecuting someone for an offence.

In this case, your wife had minor injuries, no one was killed, so probably not worth the court time.

If you want justice you'd have to bring a private prosecution against her.
Was she prosecuted? - Vorny1966
Was this indeed an 'Accident' or an 'On Purpose' ?

I had a lady driving a Bedford Rascal milk float pull out on me a number of years ago, closed the A5, wrote off my car, injured herself badly, injured myself too.

She was prosecuted.

Me, I felt dreadfully sorry for her, young girl scarred for life for a moments lapse of concentration. The prosecution achieved nothing. It was an accident. There seems to be a thought process in the world that a retrospective prosecution makes everything okay. Seems pointless to me the majority of the time. Sorry for the liberal attitude.

Was she prosecuted? - NARU
The prosecution achieved nothing. It was an accident.

Mmm. I'm less concerned about an individual case than in road users as a whole.

I disagree with the way that one can pass a test at 17 and have no follow-on training or assessments until age 70 (and even then its self assessment). No wonder people drive too close, allow themselves to become distracted, drive incosiderately etc.

I've said it before, but I think the answer lies in a way of continually improving people's skills. It really needs some form on ongoing top-up training - perhaps an accompanied drive every couple of years.
Was she prosecuted? - Vorny1966
Absolutely spot-on in your views regarding on-going training.

OK, just wanted to provide an update. The case coordinator says "the other party was sufficiently blameworthy to justify further police action. In view of the poor driving judgement shown by this driver, I intend to make an offer of attendance at a Driver Improvement Course."

That's a one and a half days on a training course, £155 fee and she must satisfactorily complete the course. If she refuses this option she will be prosecuted.

Judging by the previous comments made in this thread, that's probably to be considered a good outcome.

BTW - the police (Cumbria) contacted us without prompting.
Was she prosecuted? - woodster
Vorny: I take your point, but doesn't 'accident' suggest an unavoidable situation? Surely the downright careless should have that carelessness examined, by the proper authority, a court? It's not punishment for the sake of it, but may remind the driver of their ongoing responsibility behind the wheel. Other road users deserve some protection from the downright careless, hence graded sanction, up to disqualification, and worse, in the most serious cases. A rising scale of offences and commensurate punishment recognises levels of irresponsibility from carelessness through to downright recklessness. A driving licence is a privilege, not a right, and carries responsibility. I try to act responsibly on the road, being aware of other people and the rules of the road. I welcome the sanction imposed by the courts, when appropriate; it offers me and my family some level of protection.