Minor dings and scratches on secondhand cars - tawse
Hi all,

Just a quick question - if you are buying a used car from a main dealer and it has minor scratches and/or dings on it what is the general buying advice?

Do you ask the dealer to repair this as part of the sale or do you knock the cost of repair off any offer you make? I am thinking here of 1 to 3 year old cars from main dealers.

I assume, if you go down the repair route, that you get it in writing before completion?

Thanks for any advice,

T.

p.s.

Same question re tyres or marks on interior plastics or fabrics?
Minor dings and scratches on secondhand cars - steveo3002
id suggest you keep looking for a cleaner car

all the dealers ive worked would either lie and say it will all be fixed and leave it , maybe touch a few in , or get a very cheap "trade" paint job that wont last too well

any decent dealer that gives two hoots will have had the dent man in to sort any dings and their valeter will have polished and touched in the worst marks

if your set on that car...dont sign until its done or in very clear writing that they will repair all faults /tyres ( good brand tyres too)
Minor dings and scratches on secondhand cars - Andrew-T
Assuming you are talking fairly-new, not well-used - I would say any reputable dealer or car supermarket would protect their reputation by selling customers cars in tiptop condition for their age. That would mean rectifying any defects you draw to their attention when signing up to buy. You may be able to get money knocked off if you agree to take the car as-is, but don't bank on that. Equally, don't expect to have every tiny hair-scratch eliminated for nothing. Any rectifications you ask for should be recorded on the sale paperwork. But don't try to go too far - you could start an endless argument about getting tiny (but expensive) faults cured. Better look for a near-perfect car to start with.
Minor dings and scratches on secondhand cars - Alby Back
Also beware of any car which looks too perfect for its age and mileage. May have recently been substantially repaired. An odd stone chip, minor scratch or scuffed alloy helps prove the originality to me.

I have the same theory/view of people. Too well groomed usually disguises other failings. Too scruffy indicates lack of care. It's finding the "real" ones in between which normally leads to a happy ending.
Minor dings and scratches on secondhand cars - ifithelps
Some car supermarkets valet cars to within an inch of their lives.

As Humph says, all that polish can act as a disguise, making the car harder to weigh up.
Minor dings and scratches on secondhand cars - tawse
Thanks all.
Minor dings and scratches on secondhand cars - L'escargot
Beware of cars that have had the engine steam cleaned. It will remove evidence of oil leaks ~ I found this out from bitter experience.
Minor dings and scratches on secondhand cars - SpamCan61 {P}
Beware of cars that have had the engine steam cleaned. It will remove evidence of
oil leaks ~ I found this out from bitter experience.

Plus it strips lubricant from linkages and suchlike and forces moisture into electrical connectors etc.
Minor dings and scratches on secondhand cars - barney100
You can point out any body blemishes and say you will have the car if they are fixed but be sure to have it on the invoice so there are no doubts. Plan two is to wiegh up how much it would cost you to have the dings etc removed and have the car as it is with a negotiated lower price to cover the work. There are loads of cars out there so you can afford to look around until you are happy.
Minor dings and scratches on secondhand cars - Alby Back
Whenever I have bought second hand cars with minor blemishes, I always have the good intentions of putting them right in due course. Never seem to get around to it in the end. They are always still there glaring at me 100k or so later. There is actually an advantage to this laziness particularly if you are in the habit of buying mainstream popular models. Makes them easier to find in the NEC car park and suchlike.
Minor dings and scratches on secondhand cars - Lud
Quite HB. Blemishes should reduce the purchase price. You can mean to do something about them till the cows come home, but you won't without a good reason. And there aren't many of those although they could exist with the right car.

The blemishes that really matter are in the functioning of the running gear.

Edited by Lud on 28/09/2008 at 20:43