2004 2.0TDCi engine noises - Peter
The above mentioned car (54 reg) went for an MOT today, the tester refused to carry out the emmissions tests due to a noisy engine. He felt there was an internal defect and would not consider taking the engine up to max revs in case the engine suffered severe internal damage.

To my ear the engine is chattering, there is a puff of blue smoke on startup but fuel and oil consumption are very good. It also runs smoothly at 70mph.

Can anyone offer advice on what it might be, I assume it could range from a big end up to a loose chain.

Many thanks.

Peter

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/09/2008 at 14:39

54 2.0 2.0TDCi engine noises - spikeyhead {p}
You're right, it could be anything from the big ends to a lose chain and several other things.

Given that my crystal ball is being repaired at the moment I have no idea which of those things it is in this case.

Try an oil change to see if that quietens it down a little.
54 2.0 2.0TDCi engine noises - Peter D
Where did you find to repair your crystal ball, mines sometimes won't come on if its cold. Regards Peter
54 2.0 2.0TDCi engine noises - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
The auxiliary belts on these make a real din if the sprag clutch on the alternator siezes. Try running it with the belt off.
54 2.0 2.0TDCi engine noises - Sprice
What's with the attitude in replies 1 and 2??? Why bother replying with all that crystal ball nonsense?
54 2.0 2.0TDCi engine noises - cheddar
The auxiliary belts on these make a real din if the sprag clutch on the
alternator siezes. Try running it with the belt off.

Mine had the noisy aux belt at idle issue though the dealer advised that there was a modified tensioner and roller, fitted FOC with a new belt at around 90,000 miles and 3.5 years old, one advantage of full dealer history.

I notice it again now some times when first started from cold though fine when warm, now 130,000.

To the OP, how many miles has you car done? Perhaps call in to a Ford dealer and ask for a technician to listen to it idle.

54 2.0 2.0TDCi engine noises - gandaulf
aux belt pullys are well known for there rumbeling
54 2.0 2.0TDCi engine noises - Pugugly
Peter,

Can you upload a recording of the car on tickover and put it on YouTube or somewhere - may help.
54 2.0 2.0TDCi engine noises - Peter
The best I can say, is it can sound like an old diesel, say an FX 3 taxi. I've just accepted it a typical diesel but having listened to a few 2.0 TDCi's in other cars it does sound chattery.

An RAC man thinks it may be a blocked or carboned up injector so that will be first port of call.

I do not think there are any internal mechanical faults as I've had dodgy big/little ends and othe horrendous rattles in other cars from the past. Oil consumption is non-existent and the car runs like the wind when on the M4. An average of 51mpg.

Any other thoughts much appreciated.

The aux belt and tensioner were changed at 50K by the vendor.

Thank you.

Peter
54 2.0 2.0TDCi engine noises - cheddar
Perhaps try a good run on Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate, that should clean though a bit.
54 2.0 2.0TDCi engine noises - kithmo
Or Millers Power sport additive