2001 2.0 Emissions light on - robbo123
Hi,
My emission's light keeps coming on regardless of replacing the lambda sensor. It's reading on the computer as saying fuel/oxygen too rich or words to that effect.
After checking under the bonnet I can see that whoever had it before me put in a non-standard fuel pressure regulator so I'm guessing that this is running too high? The regulator is adjustable.
Are there any other causes why the light and fault keep occurring?

Thanks
2001 2.0 Emissions light on - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Have you had the codes read? These adjustable fuel pressure regulators give me the willys as invariably they get set too high and the poor old O2 sensor goes potty telling the system to 'go lean' until the system assumes the O2 sensor has croaked and goes into LOS and puts the MIL on. Get the codes read and cleared then get someone with a fuel pressure test kit to reset the fuel pressure correctly or better still put the original back on and hope the cat has survived.
2001 2.0 Emissions light on - robbo123
Yes I've had the codes read and it's saying it's running too rich - unsurprisingly.
It's a new cat so it should be ok (i hope) getting it reset to factory standards is proving to be a nightmare as no garages so far will touch it - only opting to replace it with a normal regulator. Also, the secondary exhaust fan is connected to the air filter - Why??
How much does a regulator set you back anyway?
Also, had another problem - slightly more disturbing happen...
I was on the motorway when I had a sudden loss of power - it turned out the rear nearside brake had locked on and caught fire as a result!
The car was recovered but the wheel had freed up so it was put down to faulty/rubbish pads & discs what was left of them.
Since having them replaced - it locked on again but recognising the problem I stopped a lot more quickly before anything drastic happened. The RAC came out and surprise surprise it had freed up again! It's been in the garage a week and they cannot diagnose the fault - An independant VW garage - so they've not replaced anything. Despite jacking it up overnight with the handbrake on, running it around the fault has not returned. There has been mention of the caliper but this is just a guess. Also brake hoses could be corroded etc etc. All good ideas but don't help me.
Can anyone provide any help with either question please?