96 1100 Driveshaft problem - help please? - Nomag
About a year ago my BiL aquired with my help a "bangernomics" 1108cc Punto with the FIRE engine. It has given him 20k of uneventful service the only expenditure being a new lower engine mount.

About three weeks ago he suddenly lost all drive, picked up by RAC and towed to garage who found driveshaft had come out of the gearbox! I was very puzzled by this, apparently they could see nothing wrong, the "clip" was still in tact so they simply pushed the driveshaft back into place and replaced the lost transmission oil.

Since then the car passed its MOT but a repeat of the same thing happened again 2 days ago. This time the driveshaft has been damaged. BiL has bought a second hand driveshaft from ebay, my question is has anyone come across this before and what might have caused it, there seems little point repairing if it's going to keep happening, and of course this is bangernomics, so there might be some sense in a quick fix and then getting it sold (it owes him zero, but has a years ticket, it was bought for £400)