Scraped the car in bushes - tonyrees68
i ran into a hedge and scraped all the paint work down the side of my car (car coming the other way and i had to swerve into the bushes) ive cleaned my car and i can still see all the scrape marks any ideas how to get rid of the marks
they look like white lines all down the side i cant seem to find any help on this so any help would be very welcome
regards tony

Edited by Pugugly on 03/10/2008 at 08:53

scraped the car in bushes - Halmer
I'd give it a wash off and then polish it three or four times along the marks with a good quality polish like Autoglym before anything else.

You may find that they are marks or sap and not scratches which may come out (hopefully) fairly easily.
scraped the car in bushes - Halmer
Other than that depending on how fussy you are it's probably a respray.
scraped the car in bushes - tonyrees68
thanks halmer i think its just a rubbing effect on the top coat ( what ever that is ) its like a clear coat on top of the paint like a varnish its not gone down to the paint , so i need to get those marks scrubbed off some how
thanks for any advice
ive just found on this forum that a product called Meguiars Scratch X does what i need , any body used this befor with good results
regards Tony
scraped the car in bushes - Fullchat
Seems dark metallics do show the scratches.

Depending on the depth of the scratch T cut will remove minor ones.

Slightly deeper can be removed with a machine polisher.

But remember every time you use an abrasive you are removing thickness from the lacquer and its not difficult to go all the way through.

So unless you are familiar with polishing out scratches have a go with the T Cut in the first instance - LIGHTLY. If not leave to an expert.

If its just a deep lacquer scratch, rather than down through the paint, outfits such as Chipsaway can do localised lacquer repairs. They may even machine polish it for you if thats all they think it needs.
Thanks Fullchat as you can imagine its a full combination of scratches down the nearside of the car ,different marks , size and length i will have a timid go at T CUT and see how i get on thanks for the help
Tony
scraped the car in bushes - L'escargot
Meguiars Scratch .... any body used this befor with good results

I've used it on scuffed areas (caused by me foolishly removing mud on the bonnet without using sufficient water) and it worked a treat. Be gentle and see what the results are. If necessary do it again. Read the instructions and make sure you use a cloth which is immacuately clean and is not contaminated with dirt.

Edited by L'escargot on 25/09/2008 at 08:26

scraped the car in bushes - Blue {P}
Easily done, check out www.detailingworld.co.uk and look for examples of work done on cars by members there. In fact, here's a link for you:-

www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=86...7

That particular car is probably in worse overall condition than your's so it will give you an idea of what is possible.

If you understandably don't want the expense of getting a professional to machine polish or even wet sandpaper and polish then there are products such as Meguiar's Scratch X that are very good at hiding minor marks by hand. After applying Scratch X I would probably use a polish like Autoglym Super Resin though to protect the paint. I did my gran's Focus yesterday, the job took nearly 5 hours in total but I removed a few scratches and certainly improved the roof that had lots of bonded muck. I'll be posting a write up at Detailing World shortly so will add the link when I do.

Blue
scraped the car in bushes - Hamsafar
My girlfriend has a pearlescent black Clio and it had a lot of scratches. The lighter scratches polished out using Turtle Wax Cutting Paste (in a squeezy tube) from Halfords. Worse scratches came out with wetted 1200 grade wet and dry followed by the paste I mentioned before. Some really bad ones were down to the white primer, so I had to touch them up, this were 'keyed' lines along doors. I lightly sanded them, filled the groove with touch-up paint using the nib you get on Halfords touchup paint before it starts to dry, wipe along with the edge of a credit card, and wipe off the excess at the sides with alcohol on a cloth, keep repeating until the groove is full, then I polished flat and used a bit of sanding here and there. and polished to a shine, then cleaned again with fairy liquid and applied the clearcoat in the same way (just one or two coats), left to dry, and polished again, then machine wax-polished the whole car, and it looks really good.
well i have used the T CUT and what a result all the scratches gone and the side of the car looks like new , then spent all of sunday doing the rest of the car and a great result all round,was very hard work though but a fab result
Thanks everyone who gave advice
Regards Tony
cheers fulchat
scraped the car in bushes - Fullchat
You're welcome I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time removing minor car park scratches from passing pedestrians and their bags. I do hope you followed up your hard work with a coat of polish/wax to protect the surface.

Edited by Fullchat on 03/10/2008 at 00:25

scraped the car in bushes - Lud
People who live in or often visit the country with its roads coated with liquid dung quite like the scratches through the dried muck down the sides of the car as a reminder of what colour it really is.

You can always tell a real country car by those scratches down the side through the dried mud. From overhanging brambles and such.

Edited by Lud on 03/10/2008 at 01:21

scraped the car in bushes - spikeyhead {p}
You're welcome I seem to spend an inordinate amount of time removing minor car park
scratches from passing pedestrians and their bags.

Can you explain the best method of removing a scratch form a pedestrian?

pass the coat
scraped the car in bushes - L'escargot
Can you explain the best method of removing a scratch form a pedestrian?
pass the coat

And the dictionary ;-)