Need advice on choosing new car... - imb
Hi Folks, finding it difficult selecting a new car on a limited budget and Wife expecting twins. Cheap-cars-onle are offering pre-reg 58 plate Mazda 6 2.0 diesel S model for £11995 + paint (£375 solid/met/mica). It's a pity it doesn't have a few more toys but the next model up is adds about £1600 to the price!!! It the Mazda 6 and this price any good?
Need advice on choosing new car... - Dave_TD
Hi there,

My defintion of "limited budget" is a lot less than 12 grand! There are many different options open to you at this price range.

>>Wife expecting twins

Wouldn't a mini-MPV (C-Max, Touran etc) be more practical? My son's single pushchair takes up a fair chunk of boot space, a double one will leave you struggling to fit any shopping in as well in a normal saloon or hatch.

Edited by Webmaster on 21/09/2008 at 13:31

Thanks for your reply and advice. Well limited to the point I'm being pushed to buy new. Had thought about C-max etc but seem to get expensive to get one that is economical and a bit nippy to drive (diesel?).

My wife seems to think the 6 is big enough but I'm not so sure. 2 child seats and a small dog is the back and we will be full!!! We are new to parenthood as well so no experience.

Our previous car (just sold privately) was a 51 civic which was brillant but too small for our needs and a 51 micra.
Any advice on what to buy? Need to be nippy, economical (50mpg roughly), stylish, carry 4, the dog (a wee westie) and the rest. Will do 12,000 miles a year easily. Will also get a runaround as a 2nd car... my wife suggested an Aygo but not sure again. Any ideas?
Need advice on choosing new car... - mrnikko
easy one this look no further than a Skoda Octavia, I have a 1.9Tdi Ambiante, its got a huge boot bigger than my old vectra and in 26,000 miles in less than a year its been totally reliable and the local dealer has been very good. Cabin is also roomy and you get a fair number of toys as well
Need advice on choosing new car... - DP
Renault Grand Scenic. £11k will get you a year old 1.9dCi Dynamique from a main dealer with 10k or less on the clock. Brilliant car. Get a non-FAP model to avoid the particulate filter nonsense, change the oil every 9k instead of Renault's 18k and it'll look after you. 5* NCAP for peace of mind, loads of room, loads of nice touches, good to drive, and one of the smoothest, most refined four pot diesels ever made.

Massive, massive boot, plus additional pop-up "jump seats" which can come in handy. Still a good looking car (for an MPV) in my opinion too. We looked at the Corolla Verso and the Touran, and the Renault was the best drive and had the best interior design, not only in terms of aesthetics, but practical touches. Cubby holes everywhere, loads of space, and great seats. Remove the seats, and you have pretty much a van, ideal for taking stuff to the dump, or picking up bulky items such as fridges, or DIY materials.

We've had ours 18 months and have been delighted with it. You'll have 2yrs of manufacturer's warranty on it in any case.

Cheers
DP

Had previously thought about the skoda and the renault so will now revisit and decide. It's difficult with too much choice...
Need advice on choosing new car... - Happy Blue!
Take our word for it. Twins and a standard saloon/hatch do not go. You need a car with a nice boxy boot that is quite high even with the rear seats in place. C-Max or one of the many other equivalents is far far better, although you would do just as well and save money by buying a small estate (e.g. Focus/Astra/Golf etc).

The only advantage of the C-Max and clones for you is that the seating position is higher and therefore less awkward to lift car seats and children into the car and you suffer less back pain. The best car we had for children was the old Mitsubishi SpaceWagon, which many manufacturers seem to be copying now.

Forget the Mazda6 despite it being a good price and laos forget buying new. You will need a load of money for twins and now is not the time to waste money on a depreciating asset. A one year old Focus diesel estate is perfect for you.
Good Advice taken... whats sort of money should I spend on a Focus estate or C-max etc?
Need advice on choosing new car... - GroovyMucker
Toyota Avensis? Big boot, new model soon (so there will be deals on the current model, whether new or second-hand).

Need advice on choosing new car... - ashtenr
We have twins and have found our Seat toledo v good. V fast, v economical and huge boot!
Need advice on choosing new car... - mlj
Firstly, congratulations imb! Secondly, consider how long you anticipate keeping the car. Once your twins arrive, you will need two separate carseats and a car that can contain them safely. You will need the biggest boot you can find. Buggies, changing bags, other paraphernalia - and a dog as well! And as they grow, the boot will simply fill with other possessions, toys, etc. I looked at a c-Max two years ago, my kids were 14 and 9 at the time, and it just wasn't big enough. I now own a Citroen Berlingo, as many on here know. If I was in your position and had your budget, I wouldn't even look at anything else. I had a look at the new model today, and it ticks all your boxes. Three individually foldable and removable full size rear seats. A boot you can run around in with a totally flat floor. Overhead storage. Diesel will give 50 mpg and insurance is group 3 or 4. Superb driving position and comfortable. I love mine, the best car I've owned.
Need advice on choosing new car... - balleballe

I'd avoid the 2.0d mazda engine unless youre doing alot of miles on the motorway

They are known for DPF problems