95 2.0 M Reg - Weird wiring explanation - Mike R
Hi all

Migrated from Citroen Xantia to a Renault Laguna. Its a piece of junk but for some reason I actually rather like it.

With winter closing in I'd like to get the heater fan going. Zero response when you twist the fan. I've read enough on the forum to find out when the fan motor is, and I've ripped it out to test (its by the PC as I type). However, when looking at the wiring I couldn't see a connection to the dial and wanted to describe my wiring and see if its typically "french" or a hack-job by a previous owner...

From the alternator (or is it the starter motor) I have red and black wires running to a relay (split charge relay?) taped near the battery. Two more wires run from this into the bulkhead. From there I lose them, but running to the fan connector are two more red and black wires with two cut wires spliced into them, a blue one and a light brown one.

Now I'm assuming the controls stopped working so someone hacked a wiring from the starter to the fan with a relay to stop it draining the battery and that the fan was therefore likely to be always on and hence burnt out?

Thoughts? Is this normal wiring? Can I unhack it? Assuming a new fan is required regardless.

Ta in advance
M.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/09/2008 at 01:01

95 2.0 M Reg - Weird wiring explanation - elekie&a/c doctor
Usual Renault problem where the fan switch overheats and burns the connector and wiring.Interesting that the Laguna 2 suffers the same problem as does the current Megane and Scenic.As you suggest it looks like someone has hacked the wiring to make it work.Remove the glovebox and hopefully this will reveal the original wiring which may be possible to re-instate.Be careful though,most of the wiring to the heater unit is usually one colour;white.hth
95 2.0 M Reg - Weird wiring explanation - manic
also if i remember correctly there are two fuses hidden in the bottom of the fuse box under a plastic cover which might be worth checking