MkIII Golf Noise - Peter D
Mk III Golf 1.8 ABS Engine 75,000 Miles Recently I have noticed a noise creeping in at about 40 mph and peaking at about 70mph. This light noise is speed related not engine rpm, or gear related, and quite highly pitched even at 40 mph. It is not effected by braking or by weaving the car to alter the weight on wheel effect. Noises are always difficult to describe but initially I thought it was something rubbing on the disc, a small stone or trapped twig although a little more metalic than a twig. I guess a light piece of mig welding wire rubbing the used surface of the disc would be a fair description.

I have stripped and check the calipers for contamination to no avail. The front wheel bearings feel perfect but of course I can not spin these at 60 mph. The noise is not a rumble at all it is more a rubbing type noise and continues in neutral to is limited to wheels, discs, drive shafts, diff /gearbox output shaft etc. Having said does not sound like the innards but more an externally generated noise it is constant and has no cyclic element. Anybody got any ideas on this, or experience similar noises on golfs. Thanks
MkIII Golf Noise - BrianW
A long shot, but could it be the airflow spinning the fan which is rubbing on something?
MkIII Golf Noise - Peter D
Bad news here guys,
The noise got worse pretty quickly and as I thought the diff cluster bearing has failed big time.. So rebuilt diff. new clutch whilst it if off and a new lease of life ???
Yes a VW MkIII failed after only 76,000 miles bXXXetr.

Peter