Blue badge abuse. Some serious action. BBC item - henry k
BBC report online and BBC 1 lunchtime.
Several filmed getting nicked and tow aways.
Longer report at 7:30 on BBC's Inside Out in the West Midlands.

Illegal blue badges cost £500,000

Anyone caught parking illegally could face fines of up to £1,000

Drivers parking illegally in spaces for disabled motorists are costing Birmingham £500,000 in lost parking fees each year, council chiefs said.
The city council has vowed to take tough action against those caught, threatening fines of up to £1,000.
Hundreds of people had already been caught, council leaders told an investigation by BBC's Inside Out in the West Midlands.
A blue badge can only be displayed if the permit holder is using the vehicle.

Criminal record
Transport chiefs said the most common misuse was people using badges awarded to their relatives, without the relatives being in the car.
However, people had also been caught using fraudulent badges.
Currently, wardens only have the powers to tow away the offending vehicles and to issue a fine of £140.
However, the city council said it would now start using private prosecutions to bring people to court, which would allow them to impose higher fines and leave the drivers with a criminal record.

Extra patrols will also be out on the streets catching those flouting the law.

Blue badge abuse. Some serious action. BBC item - Lud
If the wardens were armed with a heavy piece of timber they could offer the miscreant the choice of paying the fine and giving up the badge, or being disabled on the spot and keeping it.
Blue badge abuse. Some serious action. BBC item - Happy Blue!
A very fair and sensible suggestion. I would make it easier to decide. Offer them a quick local anaesthetic followed by the removal of a little toe. It will make them think twice.
Blue badge abuse. Some serious action. BBC item - Tron
We had a really big 'discussion' about this subject a few weeks ago...

...Ding! Ding! Round two!
We had a really big 'discussion' about this subject a few weeks ago... ...Ding! Ding! Round two!

>>
Hopefully this serious thumping may spread to other regions and the word spreads that there is a much higher chance of getting caught,

From the TV item , many used the excuse of shopping etc for the blue badge owner.
When challenged "Where is mum ?" ............The punch line was " Well we have just spoken to mum at home". Now that is a knockout. :-))
Another shot of a builder arriving for work.

I did recall the recent thread but I thought news of action was worth a new thread.
Blue badge abuse. Some serious action. BBC item - Nsar
There was a name and shame thing done last week in Manchester which got about 6 convictions - all women (don't why that's important)
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1066277_cra...s
Blue badge abuse. Some serious action. BBC item - drbe
>> 6 convictions - all women (don't why that's important)

>>

I thought Roberto was a bloke?
Henry,

I totally agree with your thread and my post was to welcome it not put it down.

So many councils are so strapped of cash so any 'easy' target will do right now.

I feel this is the only and real reason why legislation was changed to make the issuing of parking and traffic violation FPN's so easy.

I feel too that this exercise is just another to bring much needed revenue back in to those councils that are not as well funded as others...

As for any system, I agree totally that there are those that abuse such schemes and some that do it for many years without ever being caught.

This sounds like a business opportunity! I think I will go to The Dragons Den with it because even at a 50% stake to an investor your returns are going to be huge!

Just sit at any main chain supermarket car park & watch.

They get out limping etc., faking it (those that have some guilt I suppose) but as soon as they get in store and are mingled in with the crowd any one would think they had bumped in to Jesus on the way in and had been miraculously healed or something.

DLA and Incapacity benefits are what need a really good & thorough investigating.

So many and I openly accept some are more than very genuine cases before I get a broadside for this statement that are on these benefits that are simply well enough to be in work but are too damned lazy to do just that.
Tron
We are both singing from the same song sheet.
I was interested to see the details of the Manchester action.
Blue badge abuse. Some serious action. BBC item - b308
DLA and Incapacity benefits are what need a really good & thorough investigating.

We are in the process of an application for DLA and from our experience its not been easy, so I'm not so sure whether they have clamped down recently? Certainly the BB scheme needs better policing - its worth noting that there is no connection between getting a BB and getting DLA, we have a BB but, as yet, no DLA!

Edited by b308 on 17/09/2008 at 19:00

We are in the process of an application for DLA and from our experience its
not been easy.

Hello b308,

May I offer you my own experience and advice of the DLA system?

I ask that you get the health professional for the person concerned to assist you or go via the Citizens Advice Bureau for help.

I have worked in this field and getting just one 'phrase wrong' or missing out any item of information, no matter how irrelevant you may feel it is may stop or reduce the amount awarded.

When you complete the form you must always remember the worst days the applicant has and write those facts down ? this is really important information and is something the system is geared to checking up on and validating.

If the health carer/professional/doctor or even the CAB is providing proof of those facts, it makes the application a lot easier to be processed as the facts are presented by a credible source.

If the application fails you cannot just reapply. You have to go through appeals & tribunals. These can and do take weeks or even months to be sorted. Even then, at the end of these hearings, they do not always guarantee the application will be successful.

Tron.

Edited by Tron on 17/09/2008 at 21:03

Blue badge abuse. Some serious action. BBC item - b308
Hello b308
May I offer you my own experience and advice of the DLA system?
I ask that you get the health professional for the person concerned to assist you
or go via the Citizens Advice Bureau for help.

Hi Tron - thanks for your advice... several years ago when my wife first had the problems we did the DLA application ourselves, and, needless to say failed! This time round I have had help from the CAB, a friend at work who has access to a health professional and several kind souls such as yourself online... they've had it nearly 12 weeks now and have asked for a report from our GP (who knows just how difficult things are for her), so we are now looking out for the postie every day and keeping everything crossed....

Most people I have spoken to who also have relations who get DLA are amazed that we haven't already got help for her, but thats the system for you... I did wonder at these tales about foreigners getting prority treatment but have now seen it in real life, whereas those of us who have paid our taxes all our life get short shrift... I could be accused of following the Daily Mail-style tirades but this experience has proven to both of us that they are not scaremongering, but that it does happen, to the detriment of those of us who actually need the care, and have paid our way over many years...

Sorry, rant over!
Blue badge abuse. Some serious action. BBC item - Ravenger
My son had various problems when he was growing up, and it turned out for some unknown reason (at that time) he had coordination problems and learning difficulties.

We tried to get DLA for him, and were rejected. Went to appeal and that was rejected. Eventually we got in touch with a special needs children's support group who told us how to phrase the application so we got the benefit, and it worked.

If you don't know the buzz-words they look for in these applications then you're stuffed. If you don't have one of their fashionable named conditions, such as ADHD you're also stuffed.

We know know he has a physical brain abnormality, which was diagnosed via an MRI, but didn't have that diagnosis at the time we tried to claim.

Unfortunately we didn't get the higher rate mobility, so were unable to get a motability car. (That's the motoring connection!), but the benefits have been very useful, allowing my wife to stay at home full time to provide care for him.
Blue badge abuse. Some serious action. BBC item - borasport20
I'm in favour (on the whole) but how does the council bringing a private prosecution leave the drivers with a criminal record ?
Blue badge abuse. Some serious action. BBC item - oldnotbold
From the MEN report:

"Tasmeen Bibi Hussain , 49, of Mornington Crescent"

Not surprising she wasn't playing by the rules. There are no rules to MC.
Blue badge abuse. Some serious action. BBC item - tack
I support anything which brings these people to book. I used to work in the City of London, a very good looking lady used to climb out of her black Audi TT on high stiletto heels and with a hip hugging pencil skirt and stride out to her office 100yds away. She was blue badged.

My test for a blue badge is this....if you can easily climb out of an Audi TT whilst wearing stilettos and a pencil skirt then smartly wiggle your way to the office 100yds away....you don't qualify!
Blue badge abuse. Some serious action. BBC item - Pugugly
That's me done for then.
Blue badge abuse. Some serious action. BBC item - Lud
Tee hee PU... how do we get to witness this spectacle?
Blue badge abuse. Some serious action. BBC item - ifithelps
>> how does the council bringing a private prosecution leave the drivers with a criminal record ? >>

It's the offence, not the prosecuting authority that gives the offender the criminal record.

For example, animal cruelty cases are often prosecuted by the RSPCA.

There's a list somewhere of organisations allowed to bring private prosecutions, here's a few that spring to mind:

Various departments of local authorities do it, trading standards, education - parents of kids who truant, to give a couple of examples.

There's also the likes of the RSPCA, RSPB - often people who nick rare birds eggs, Benefits Agency/Department of Works and Pensions - benefits fraudsters.

Environment Agency - river polluters, TV Licensing - licence evaders, Health and Safety Executive - workplace 'accidents' where someone has been negligent.

And to bring it back to motoring, Traffic Commissioners - now possibly called Vehicle Operators Standards Agency - tachograph offences, oveloaded wagons, etc.

Most of the above, though not all, lead to a criminal record.