2006 ZR - worth a punt at 3.5K - bbroomlea{P}
I have spied locally a 2006(well registered anyway) MG ZR 105+.

It has full electric pack, air con, leather, FSH and 20K miles for £3600. I think the dealer is closing down.

I already have a TF and this will replace our ageing 214, so no stranger to MGR.

Is it worth a chance on it? Will only be a stop gap until we get a MINI in 18 months or so?
2006 ZR - worth a punt at 3.5K - Marc
I'm no expert on Rover/MG or their values BUT if it's only a stop gap I can't see how it's worth it at all - you will lose money when you come to get rid in 18 months time. Keep the 214 soldiering on I say.
Well I have been to see the car, its one owner but doesnt have any service history with it - well it has the book but no stamps or reciepts.

The oil is on max and is black but not treacle like and if it hasnt been changed then surely it would be in a bit of a state after 22K. Or would it?

Other than that it seems really tidy, half leather which is nice and the rare aircon works as well!

Just the service history putting me off a bit - how much damage could be caused by missing its first one?
2006 ZR - worth a punt at 3.5K - madf
If you have no servcie history, how do you know it has not done 66,000 miles?

2006 ZR - worth a punt at 3.5K - oldnotbold
With no SH you've got loads to beat the dealer up with though. Let it sit there, and go in with a silly offer in a few days. If they take it, you've got a bargain, and if they don't you can keep looking for one.
>>With no SH you've got loads to beat the dealer up with though. Let it sit there, and >>go in with a silly offer in a few days. If they take it, you've got a bargain, and if they >>don't you can keep looking for one.

Its already about £1.5K less than what everyone else is putting up for so not sure if i could get any more off!!!

IF its not been serviced how much damage will it have done missing its first one?
2006 ZR - worth a punt at 3.5K - Alby Back
IF its not been serviced how much damage will it have done missing its first
one?

Well, not that I'm recommending this or anything but........

I once bought an 18 month old Mondeo diesel Estate 1.8 Mk2 from my then employer. It had been a rep's car hence the 85 thousand miles on it at the time. Turned out that it had never been in a garage for anything but fuel ! In fairness I bought it unseen at a very low price of £3500. I had it serviced immediately and then kept up normal oil changes etc and continued to use it for another 70 thousand miles without a moment's bother.

Maybe it was just a tough car. Never got around to having a cam belt on it either as I recall.
2006 ZR - worth a punt at 3.5K - pd
It has only missed one service - not the end of the world, particularly as it is not a turbo. Just make sure it is done straight away.

It's priced about CAP Clean trade price if that's anything to go by so is certainly not at retail price. It'll probably get £3000-£3300 if it goes to auction (contrary to some opinions good looking ZR's still sell well) so I can't see they'll go much lower.

Good luck.
2006 ZR - worth a punt at 3.5K - frazerjp
Make sure the cam belt is changed after you purchased it. if you ever do that is.
Other then that as it's a late model, beware of poor quality trim, apparently things like dorr handles fall off easily.
2006 ZR - worth a punt at 3.5K - steveo3002
the thing is , no history could mean its been clocked and the price maybe reflects that?

does the condition back up the low miles ? maybe pop out the airfilter see if thats ever been changed ,i cant see many people not servicing a brand new car
2006 ZR - worth a punt at 3.5K - Collos25
Why should you want to change the cam belt on a car if it has only done 20k miles.Condition of discs,the type and wear on tyres,stone chips,drivers seat,steering wheel ,gear knob are all places to look to substantiate the mileage.
It is in very good condition, it infact looks and feels new so I am as confident as I can be about the mileage. There is no wear in the cabin and you are still greeted with the lovely new leather smell when opening the doors so it cant have had that much use I dont think.

I will check the air filter though and see what its like as it shouldnt be too filthy at that mileage.

Apparently the service intervals are 15K, I though they were 12K, so its not as far over as I thought.

Should the test drive go ok I think I might give it a go.
2006 ZR - worth a punt at 3.5K - DuncanSuperb
Suggest that you go back and ask to see the V5. If it was privately owned you could note down the name of the previous owner then get in touch and find out what really happened.

It otherwise sounds like an ok purchase although I have to agree with previous poster that if you're planning on getting a new mini in 18 months why the need now?
I have decided to take Marc and Duncans advice and let the 200 soldier on for another year or so - its MOT time next month but i am going to do a full service this weekend and check any failuire points but its pretty solid I think.

With prices falling the way they are I expect the MINI may be in reach sooner than the 18 months and the ZR might loose maybe another 1K or so as a trade in against it.

I am doing something brave and putting the money saved on the ZR into boat (well that and an awful lot more) but at least it wont depreciate!