Buying a part exchanged car from a large dealer - Lucretia
Is it worth trying to get a cheap car that's been part exchanged and the dealer is only going to scrap or get rid of soon in auction?

Luke.
Buying a part exchanged car from a large dealer - 56chevy
I did this once with a Saab 9000 - it was a great car, too.
Buying a part exchanged car from a large dealer - Lucretia
Was it a large dealer (like a ford or something)?

Did you ring them or just go in?

And what did you pay for it? Were they just going to scrap it?

Thanks,
Luke.

Edited by Lucretia on 16/09/2008 at 17:24

Buying a part exchanged car from a large dealer - Andrew-T
One occasionally hears from someone who has found a great bargain by sniffing around in a dealer's back yard where he puts the part-ex's he doesn't intend to sell from his forecourt. Especially 'foreign' brands - i.e.not those he deals in. The usual arguments apply about history, condition (obviously), but if the dealer thinks you are offering a bit more than the auction value, everyone should be happy?
Buying a part exchanged car from a large dealer - R40

Once found a Honda Accord Aerodeck in a Honda dealer back lot on its way to the auctions. A scrape on the bumper and not the latest model explained that. fsh, leather air con and all the toys - well cared for - got it for a good price.

So yes imo wel lworth a look and offer.
Buying a part exchanged car from a large dealer - I'm a Pane
Look for a main dealer who IS advertising a non franchised model and then batter him down on the price. Two reasons - the car is clearly a good one for him to put it on his forecourt, and second he will have put a greatly inflated price on it 'to give it a go'. You go in with a good idea of the trade value and offer a little more. He gets a sale, clears his forecourt of a non franchise vehicle and looks good for taking the chance on selling it rather than going to auction. You are also likely to get a better warranty deal since it will be prepped and sold the same as one of his franchise cars. Has worked for me twice now.