Philosophy of engine oil - njwatts
Quick straw poll please - given fixed budget and a 13-year old (1.6 Nissan petrol) engine that has clocked well in excess of 100K would you think it better to make frequent changes of cheap oil or less-frequent changes of good oil?

Edited by Pugugly on 14/09/2008 at 23:35

Philosophy of engine oil - 659FBE
Unless you can find a way of quantifying "how cheap" and "how frequent" it's impossible to assess the relative quotients.

As an extreme generalisation, my preference would be for good quality oil run up to, but not beyond the stipulated running mileage or time. Cheap oil is a menace and there's a lot of it out there with all kinds of labels on it.

In all cases, read and make sure you understand all aspects of the specifications - viscosity rating is not a measure of performance.

Philosophy of engine oil - astrabob
My modern standards, the oil specifcation required probably isn't too demanding. You'll probably get 5 litres of the correct oil for £10 to £15.

Why not just stick to the suggested spec - unless its burning a lot of oil, it'll be worth it.
Philosophy of engine oil - Kevin
>As an extreme generalisation, my preference would be for good quality oil run up to, but not beyond..

It's a 13yo Nissan with over 100k on the clock for Glubs sake. An oil and filter change with something like Mobil 1 or equivalent is going to double it's value.

As long as it gets a regular work-out to get rid of condensates, I'd go with a decent quality dino oil or semi-synth (own-brand Halfords or whatever) changed every 6k.

Kevin...
Philosophy of engine oil - cheddar

Good oil does not have to be expensive, Halfords is made by Comma and is to a very high standard, 5 ltrs 10/40 semi synth is £19.99, sometimes less and some times on BOGOF or 3for2. And a filter only costs a fiver or so.

Philosophy of engine oil - Pugugly
What about National Tyres - they still do a cheap deal don;t they ?
Philosophy of engine oil - Pugugly
www.national.co.uk/order_oil.asp

They do £28.00 (less 2.80 if you buy online) seems a bargain with no muckyness involved and getting rid of old oil and filter.
Philosophy of engine oil - jase1
PU -- yup, my regime with my 2000 Primera is yearly service in March (c13,000 miles or so), £25 oil change at National in October/November before the cold weather.

Oil is Castrol Magnatec so no worries there. 10/40 semi is fine.
This engine is a bit of a special case -- being chain-cam it NEEDS regular oil changes to keep the chains in good condition.

Good oil isn't really important, as long as it is correct spec. Six-monthly oil changes far better for the engine.

Regardless, the bodywork will go long before the engine gives any trouble.
This engine is a bit of a special case -- being chain-cam it NEEDS regular
oil changes to keep the chains in good condition.
Good oil isn't really important as long as it is correct spec. Six-monthly oil changes
far better for the engine.
Regardless the bodywork will go long before the engine gives any trouble.

I have my doubts about this last comment but thanks. But what IS the correct spec? I'm getting conflicting info. 'tis a 1.6LX Primera.

Ta.
"I have my doubts about this last comment but thanks."

I base the comment on the fact that I personally know at least five minicabbers who have run petrol Primeras to 300K+ miles. The engines are some of the most capable petrol units on the market (at least they were at the time).

"But what IS the correct spec?"

I've owned a 1.6 Sunny (same GA16DE engine as yours) and a 1.8 Primera. In both the book, and the mechanic, said 10/40 semi.
I personally know at least five minicabbers
who have run petrol Primeras to 300K+ miles.

Are you aware of any timing-chain issues on those vehicles?
>> I personally know at least five minicabbers
>> who have run petrol Primeras to 300K+ miles.
Are you aware of any timing-chain issues on those vehicles?

Not on four of them. The fifth was sold when the chain started to rattle.
Philosophy of engine oil - Number_Cruncher
>>But what IS the correct spec?

It's listed in your car's manual.
Philosophy of engine oil - Number_Cruncher
It's quite simple;

an original filter
oil that meets or exceeds the manufacturers quality requirements
oil that meets the manufacturers viscosity requirements
changed at or before the manufacturers specified interval

Philosophy of engine oil - Dave_TD
at least five minicabbers who have run petrol Primeras to 300K+ miles.

Primera? Pah, I did that with a G reg Bluebird :-)

Edited by Webmaster on 21/09/2008 at 13:34

Philosophy of engine oil - John F
In answer to your question, neither.

Infrequent [every 10,000] changes of cheap 5 or 10-40, no more than £12 per 5l....and filter. Leave to drain overnight.
Philosophy of engine oil - bathtub tom
>>But what IS the correct spec?

Try Comma website application guide:

www.commaoil.com/
Philosophy of engine oil - Andrew-T
That's an interesting point - who knows better, the makers of the engine or the makers of the oil? If they differ, who is right, and will it matter much after 100K miles? Do car makers' handbooks give info designed for people who want to keep cars indefinitely, or just the first 6 years or so? Or are they more concerned with minimising cost for fleet owners?