99 1.7 problem with diesel pump ? - carlwest
hello all,

i have just bought an astra 1.7 td gm engine that was advertised as needing a diesel pump, i bought it from someone who worked at a vauxhall main dealer and the chap said he had it checked and it was definitely the pump but he couldnt afford to do it. i bought a second hand pump and the breakers assured me that it was off a running car , i have fitted it and got it started but it runs terrible ! could the timing be out ? it does say in the manual that the ecu controls the timing but when taking the old pump off and putting the new one on i did notce that the timing sprocket is adjustable would this adjust the timing ???
any info would be much appreciated
thanks carl.

Edited by Pugugly on 12/09/2008 at 17:12

99 1.7 problem with diesel pump ? - Peter.N.
I am not familier with this particular engine, but it certainly sounds as though the timing is out. If it is over advanced it will knock like mad, to retarded and it will be difficult to start and lumpy, especially when cold.

You can normally adjust a pumps timing by slackening the securing nuts and rotating the pump, against engine rotation will advance it and with will retard. It will only normally need moving 1/8" or less, if you do it with the engine running you will be able to establish which way it needs to go by how it runs and the sound it makes.