Common rail? - prm72
There always seems to be discussion about CR diesels causing problems with pumps going wrong etc, but volvo D5's seem to be more reliable or am i imagining it.
Common rail? - TheOilBurner
I wouldn't agree that the D5 has been that reliable. It was well known for the 2002-03 model years for the injectors to fail, and that wasn't cheap to fix outside of warranty.

OTOH, the engines built between 2003 and 2006 (when the last of the 163 D5s was built) seem fairly bullet proof from most accounts. My 2005 S80 D5 has been problem free so far at 36k miles, which is more than I can say for my old Vectra 1.9 CDTI at the same mileage.

The old 163 D5 was 3rd generation CR and the new one is (I think) 5th generation with DPF. So it will be interesting to see if these later cars (185 D5) will be more or less problematic than the old ones.

Common rail? - prm72
Thats strange OB, i also had a Vectra, albeit the 2.0 dti 03 reg and it was totally reliable, but it wasn't CR, i now have an 05 S60 D5 auto with 38,000 on the clock so i know the injectors should be ok on this year, i just wondered if the pumps were reliable as a lot of CR pumps don't seem to be.
Common rail? - TheOilBurner
IIRC the 2.0 DTI tended to be more troublesome at higher mileages, whereas the 1.9 had varying problems at around 30k onwards.

I think you'll probably be OK with the pump on the D5, I'm sure some go but it's never been mentioned (that I remember) anywhere I frequent.

I keep toying with the idea of tuning my D5 as they seem such strong units it shouldn't be a problem...but knowing my luck, bang!
Common rail? - prm72
Yep, i know the feeling, i also would like to do a Rica re-map, but to be honest it has enough power for me and i would worry the gearbox ( auto ) might not take the strain.
Common rail? - gmac
I toyed with the idea of a remap. Problem is it can't give you anymore top end, the car already maxes out 100rpm below the redline in 5th.
Yes it will accelerate quicker with 475Nm vs standard 340Nm (original 163 D5) however, the only person who answered my question re extra wear did mention the CV joints took a hammering.
I have read too that some of the aftermarket remaps are optimistic in their output claims.

Edited by gmac on 13/09/2008 at 13:22