Rover 75 Diesel 2.0 - Motel
***** moved to Technical Matters for more responses *****

Any advise please had my heart set on a Citroen C5 until my wife
spotted a Rover 75 and now i need some advise, my main concern is
MPG and comfort any comments Please.

Thank You
Rover 75 Diesel 2.0 - Armitage Shanks{P}
I think your main concern should be depreciation, unless you buy new with a good discount. You can get good discounts on C5s as well
Rover 75 Diesel 2.0 - Flat in Fifth
Hi Motel,

Assuming you've looked already at HJ's comments in CbyC breakdown

Driven and travelled (front & back) many miles in a manual 2.0 CDT Saloon Club SE on a W plate. Ex colleague's company car.

Seriously considered replacing current car with a Tourer for quite some time. So I think they are good but to answer your specifics.

Comfort ,convenience, mpg?

Mega quiet smooth engine for a diesel, but bit underpowered esp against the opposition. OK once its rolling but tendency to be a bit flat low down.
Very comfortable ride, bit soft but seating and generally good. Not much storage space I thought esp in back. This version did not have the optional folding rear seat so that is a pain.
Its a cruiser not a racer, but can be hustled along reasonably considering that its underpowered. Maybe that reflected in the fuel cons. which was high 30's, vs regular Vectra doing same trip mid 40's.

Depreciation comment from other response is worth noting.
Seemed a bit underspecced with kit in some ways.

No reliability problems of any that car or any on the fleet actually. This one just has the grumbling/squeaky noise from the shockers which are subject to a TSB I think, but presumably fixed on new motors.

C5, lots of comments both good/bad on the site no personal experience beyond a relative who has had BX/Xantias for years, gave the C5 a hard look and found it just too big and down on build quality, has just changed for a Mondeo, which in fact is my choice with the TDCi.

Hope that helps. Anything else?

cheers,

Rover 75 Diesel 2.0 - Flat in Fifth
Motel,

just seen your thread in discussion, didn't realise you were thinking auto.

Limited exp with auto, but the auto box cures the difficulty with the engine being flat low down in my opinion, but at the expense of fuel cons. I'd estimate at low to mid 30's and that is not based on much mileage.

all other comments hold,

hth

Rover 75 Diesel 2.0 - M.M
M,

Oddly enough, as a Citroen enthusiast, my gut feeling would be to get the Rover not the C5.

David W
Rover 75 Diesel 2.0 - Dizzy {P}
The postings in this thread have regenerated my thoughts about buying a new or nearly new car for long-term ownership. The BMW 5-Series remains a front-runner but the Rover 75 is up there with it and I am looking for advice.

The Rover 75 was designed during the short lived love affair with BMW and is essentially a BMW so far as I am aware. I think I could be quite happy with it, perhaps even the diesel version.

What is tempting me to go for the 75 is the classic refined Britishness of its external styling and, in particular, its interior, plus its very good ride comfort and the discounts that are readily available. The 5-Series, on the other hand, has that typical Germanic drabness of the interior, especially the commonplace anthracite upholstery (and even anthracite roof-lining in some cases!). Also, the secondhand prices at BMW dealers are too close to new prices and I think it could be the wrong time to buy new with a replacement model due to be launched soon.

What is steering me away from the 75, though, is the thought that Rover probably stands more chance of 'going under' than BMW and the service/parts back-up might then disappear. As I am thinking of long-term ownership, this could be quite important to me.

Any views please, especially about Rover's long term prospects?

Rover 75 Diesel 2.0 - Dizzy {P}
I've just remembered something that may be of interest regarding the Rover 75 diesel engine.

A few weeks ago I mentioned to a local Rover main dealer that I was disappointed that the power output of the BMW diesel engine in the Rover 75 was so much lower than basically the same engine in the BMW 320d. If I recall correctly, the Rover is 114 bhp compared with the BMW at 150 bhp (recently raised from 132 bhp).

I asked if there was known to be any power increase 'in the pipeline' for the Rover diesel and was told that BMW would not allow a higher output and Rover was working with a Chinese company with the intention of replacing the BMW engine with a Chinese engine.

This might not necessarily be a bad thing, depending on who designs the engine and who monitors its build, but I think I would prefer the known and trusted BMW engine. Anyone else know anything about this Chinese engine, or about ANOTHER deal in which BMW is to licence BMW car manufacturing and marketting to a Chinese company?
Rover 75 Diesel 2.0 - Vansboy
W Plate and later 75's are now being de-fleeted from Rovers own finance house in good quantity.
Must have been 50 or 60, all models/spec, at Manheim Auctions Leeds last month. Prices just under £9,000 to around £12,000 depending on car and miles, most had covered less than 20,000.
Would probably make more sense ££££ wise to go this route rather than new.
Mark.
Rover 75 Diesel 2.0 - crazed
was under the impression rover had big parts supply problems

and since splitting up with unipart they now have problems getting parts to the dealers when cars are off the road with problems

only heard this in passing

but same as new polo's, which also have mega problems with common parts that go wrong

this alone would be enough to put me off such a car, dont want my car off the road for weeks waiting for a widget