From 6 cylinders to seven seats - Big Bad Dave
I'm interested in opinions from people who are driving seven-seaters. I'll probably be buying new and probably in the new year but it has to have seven seats because I'm sick to death of taking car seats out to drive adults around and putting them back to do the school run. It's starting to affect my back. I'm hoping to leave the child seats in the smaller back row on a permanent basis.

I'm going to look at the Toyota Verso after catching one of their ads. Does anyone know anything about the Toyota MMT manual/auto sequential gearbox thing? This may be a little bit too compact though but HJ rates it quite highly. New model due in March so timing could be good.

What about the Chrysler Voyager? I'm thinking that it's a bit taller so extracting sleeping children from a car seat won't be so physically demanding.

Other considerations. Must have auto option, rear dvd screen option and ipod connectivity. Oh and I don't want to spend much money obviously. Swinging towards diesel. Not interested in fashion, badge or credibility, just VFM.

It's a section of the market I know absolutely nothing about whatsoever, don't know who makes them or what they cost so I'm wide open to any suggestions. I like the Merc Vaneo thing with the swivel seats and standing room inside but these must be pretty pricey surely. Don't VW do something similar? Or Fiat?

Many thanks

Dave.
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - Happy Blue!
We had friends with the Verso MMT and it failed dangerously. Otherwise its OK. I sat in the driving seat and wasn't that impressed.

MiL has the Kia Sedona. Very nice car, very well specced and with a powerful diesel engine. Automatic as well. The new Hyundai i800 is out which will be similar to the Kia.

Swivel seats are a waste of time.

Voyagers are simply rubbish - unreliable, clumsy and Chrysler probably about to go bump if the credit crisis continues.

How about a Ford S-Max? People on here seem to like them.

I know what you mean about carting children and seats about! How many kids? Would a Honda FRV or Fiat Multipla do?
Two kids but very close to wife's sister so often in situations when we might have four kids in the car.

When this MMT was working fine, what does it do? Are you using your gear hand all the time or can you drive it like a torque converter?

The thing about swivel seats is I've got this idealistic notion of wife and kids playing together on long journeys - all facing each other if you know what I mean.
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - Happy Blue!
MMT - manual gearbox with automated gear shifting if required. i.e auto mode, or shift manually with no clutch pedal.

Not sure if you are allowed to travel facing rearwards, as seatbelts do not work in this configuration?

Four kids and two parents = 6 seater. Safer in a Honda/Fiat with more car behind rear seats than a seven seater. However, if you need more than six then you are into three rows.
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - Altea Ego
>The thing about swivel seats is I've got this idealistic notion of wife and kids playing together on long journeys - all facing each other if you know what I mean.

Forget it - those kids traveling backwards vomit over those that arent.
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - cheddar
I have always thought that the rear row of seats must be more vulnerable in a rear end accident so if I had a seven seater (wife likes the Verso) I would ensure that the kids were in the middle row unless it were occupied by grand parents/inlaws/other kids.
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - barchettaman
My Dad just bought a 307 SW which I had the pleasure of driving around SW France this summer.
Nice estate car - more of a 5+2 really - so maybe worth considering if two of the kids are really small. There's minimal leg room for the back two seats so kiddies only.
The middle row seats tip forward so access into the tailgate seats isn't too bad.
His is the 136ps diesel. No ball of fire when fully laden but smooth on the autoroutes (cruise control and 6 gears). It had a huge glass roof that stayed covered up most of the time, as it gets really hot in the cabin.
The 308 has just been launched so there might be the odd deal on the outgoing model.
Are you getting another RHD and taking in back to Poland?
Regards,
Barchettaman
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - valmiki
BBD

I am currently going through this!

Out of my beloved E39 5 series (520 - just making it into the 6 cylinder category - now for sale!) and have ordered a seven seater Touran, expecting delivery in end of Sept/beginning of Oct.

I don't need 7 seats all the time, so a compact 7-seater does the trick for me, and the extra space when it is 5 seats is excellent.

I had a look at the S-max, Picasso, Scenic, etc. but the Touran was the better all-rounder and the most fuel-efficient. I quite liked the drive with the 2.0 diesel (140 bhp) as well.

valmiki
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - boxsterboy
Our neighbours were in this position after their Passat suffered from terminal ABS ECU failure, and have just taken delivery of a Touran. Other friends have Versos which seem too small in the rear to be worthwhile.

Personally we find these compact 7-seaters a little too compact (no boot when 7 seats in use and precious little legroom in the rear). SWMBO loves our C8 HDI auto. More room, plenty in fact, sliding rear doors and when the middle seat of the middle row is left in the garage (i.e. 6-seat mode), an easy walk-way through to the rear seats.
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - Alby Back
Dave, I know they are not a popular choice among the more informed but I just wanted to say that when I needed such a thing I chose the then new Mk1 Ford Galaxy. I had the 110bhp diesel. It served its time as my work car/van as well as its family duties. Utterly faultless and actually very comfortable and pleasant to drive. I had it from new until a short 100k miles and it just did everything it was supposed to without a hint of bother.

The new ones look OK but I have heard it said that the S Max is also pretty good. Who ever thought of calling a car for shifting kids a "Smax" ?
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - rtj70
I would not want to put anyone so close to the rear of any vehicle in case of accident.

I've mentioned my accident (in a Fiesta mind) in Italy in 2006 so many times and only Blue has seen a picture. Damage caused by an HGV. Still no real memory of what happened.

img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cardamagefy3.jpg
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - pafosman
Doblo Family
tho the Sedona is good. IMHO
Thanks everyone, plenty there to start me off.

Barchettaman, I will be buying LHD which means biting the bullet and spending a lot of money in comparison to the UK. Discounts on new are harder to get over here - a friend just paid full list for a Toyota Aygo - 40 000 zlots. With the weak pound, this equates to 10k for an Aygo. Shocking. The plus side is that we have a more shallow depreciation curve, used cars remain expensive. I wouldn't buy new in the UK but over here I'd rather take the financial hit than have a car that a Pole has driven. I might look into leasing.

I hear the arguments about not using the rear seats for children but I refuse to live my life worrying that there might be an accident, paedophile or terrorist lurking around every corner. We're just as likely to get t-boned but we don't buy cars that are as wide as they are long.

The Chrysler Voyager comments are very negative but they're very popular out here. Has anybody seen the new model? I saw one in a shopping mall concourse and it looked ok so I can't discount it yet. It was very different, I didn't recognise it at first.
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - Alanovich
If you're in Poland, why not consider the Dacia Logan Estate 7-seater? Bound to be the cheapest option. I saw one on Romanian plates flying down the M4 last week past Slough.

I've driven the saloon when in Belgrade, and it's just like driving a Renault really. Couldn't fault it to be honest - comfy, cheap, decently built. Wish they sold them in the UK.
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - BobbyG
Dave a few factors for you to consider.
No 1 is ease of movement, what is involved in getting the kids into the third row, how do the seats fold etc?
Personally I would recommend a car with sliding doors, so much more practical eg Citroen C8, Peugeot 807 and I think Kia as well.
Make will obviously be dependant on what backup you have near you in way of dealers etc.
Do you really want child furthest away from you for driving? Dependant on their age it is sometimes better to have them closer in case they drop their favourite toy or whatever and you can reach over and pick it up for them (whilst stationary).
Rather than having a screaming child in the back that you have to stop car. Get out, tilt seat to retrieve said toy.
Also again depending on their age, boot room may be an issue for buggies, nappy boxes etc and all the other associated items?
You really need to do a few test drives armed with all your usual eqpt ie car seats, buggies etc and see what ticks the correct box.
Have you thought of a Transit or Mercedes Vito thing????? :)
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - wazza
There is Mazda 5 with its sliding doors.
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - Vincent de Marco
That new Voyager seems nice, although very noisy diesel spoils the whole experience. I wouldn't buy one, oh no.
I would buy a Kia Carnival, though. Boring, huge, OK, but does the job. Fully loaded, leather, autobox etc. 2.9 diesel costs 138 000 zl, but since no one really wants them over here, I think you can cut it to 120 000 or so...
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - vtecfan
Similiar to Mercedes Vaneo is the VW Multivan, but it's prices are incredible. Would look for the Sharan since it's big too. The TDI engine may be loud, but it's reliable and has enough power to move a large Sharan.
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - Blue {P}
I've been in a Chrysler once and I have to say it was very nice. Sorry I can't be more specific but I wasn't in it very long, I can just about remember being very surprised at how pleasant it was, and comfortable.

From 6 cylinders to seven seats - Shaz {p}
Go on.. You know you want to... .

be different

ssangyong rhodius
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - moonshine {P}

We wanted a 7 seater that could fit three child seats in the middle row, due to the safety concerns mentioned above. That limited our choice somewhat, but we settled on an S-Max 2.0 diesel, other than the naff handbrake design I have been really impressed with the car. Good mpg, fairly fast, handles like a car, lots of space.

Other contenders we considered were the Touran and Mazda, but neither have 3 full size centre seats.
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - Alanovich
Other contenders we considered were the Touran and Mazda but neither have 3 full size
centre seats.

Our Touran handles three child seats across the middle row easily. The middle seat is a bit narrower, but it can still handle a child seat or an adult between two children just fine. You'r right about the Mazda though, the middle seat is not up to this standard.
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - ForumNeedsModerating
Why compromise on your six cylinders? Get a 6-cyl VW Caravelle 2.5 tdi auto. The latest version based on T5 launched in 2003 has oodles of convertible space, toquey 174PS diesel auto option, lots of cubby holes, table, facing seats (even fridges/coolers etc on option list)
- and apparently quite good to drive & commanding driving position. A proper 7+ seater with proper luggage space.

They don't tick the quite cheap box though, but if you compromise & buy 2nd hand it becomes a contender - 2.5 diesel is chain-cam too.

Edited by woodbines on 18/11/2008 at 09:34

From 6 cylinders to seven seats - charlesb
I think BBD is looking for 2 seats at the back permanently available for 2 kids.

Well, this was the problem I had. We have a 7 seat Touran and needed extra room for 3 kids and 2 grandparents at times.

Touran is a good car, economical, but you cannot put child seats in the rear-most seats.

We looked at the Chrysler, but it is darned expensive and had awful reviews

We looked at VW Sharan, Ford Galaxy, Renault Espace, Honda FRV and finally decided upon the Citroen C8, which we purchased in January this year.

It ticked most boxes, and it actually drives very well, so much so that when I had it in repair for a bodywork ding, the hire car they gave me was a VW Sharan, and it was a complete dog to drive, confirming that we made the right choice.

OK, there is no such thing as a perfect car, but what I like about the Citroen is that the front seats both swivel so you can have a picnic in the car without everyone facing the same way, the sliding doors are excellent and allow for easy access to all seats, the gearbox is on the dashboard, so you have full access to go back to the rear seats to sort out recalcitrant kiddies.

4 of the 5 rear seats have ISOFIX, just the middle seat in the 2nd row not having it. All the seats Recline - a useful feature as we've had the kids sleeping well in the car, whilst travelling.

Has some nifty features, but storage is an issue - none of the storage compartments are that big, and in fact are all strange shapes. However, we're managing well.
We also managed to rip off one of the built in sunblinds, which will be replaced next year (when I can stomach paying £240 for the privilidge).
Also, you need a flexible oil funnel to top up the oil.

You can always go for a Peugeot 807, but having compared the 2, you get lots more car for your money with the Citroen, and invariably will get cashback and 4 years interest free credit (which is what we did). Helped that Citroen were extremely customer friendly, whilst Peugeot dealers were not interested.

I went with the 2.0 HDi (120bhp). It is a heavy car. I'm averaging 35mpg and that's mixed roads.

Cost......£18.5k, which with the 0% finance, actually means around £17k.

That was in Jan. Might be better deals now, and possibly on a 2nd hand one.
In fact since I bought mine, I think they are doing a 170 bhp 2.2 HDi, which probably has more performance and I would think the economy might be similar, if slightly reduced.

Never owned a citroen before, but I can quite honestly say that I would definitely buy another one.

Hope this helps
Charles
From 6 cylinders to seven seats - AshT
Went through this not so long ago due to expansion of the family. We bought a Fiat Ulysse 2.0 petrol initially for family use only - kept my Peugeot 306 as a runaround - but found the fuel bills hard to manage. We sold it on after a few weeks (made a profit on a car sale for the first time in my life!) and bought a Renault Espace TD.
I miss the sliding doors on the Fiat, but the Espace really is much better to drive, seems to have a better performance than the Fiat, and obviously fuel costs are manageable.
Check access to the rear seats on all the cars you look at - its not as convenient on the Espace which makes lifting seats in and out and strapping the two younger children in a pain, so our older two usually sit in the back