Are reliability figures accurate? - Lucretia
I was just wondering as the French cars always come out bottom of the lists.

I'm going to be buying my first car soon (when I pass probably) and have been looking around (mainly at Ibiza's) but I just wondered whether French cars are as bad they seem?

Thanks,
Luke.

{typo in header corrected}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/09/2008 at 13:45

Are reliability figures acruate? - Manatee
Which statistics? The owners of the best quantitative information, the manufacturers with their warranty records, don't share them. Most other sources are very skewed. Bear in minds that stats are generally looking back to cars made 3 years ago or more, so are always out of date.

Have a look at the technical forum here - search for posts on anything you might be interested in, see what typically goes wrong and at what age/mileage; also read the HJ car-by-car.
Are reliability figures acruate? - stunorthants26
French cars are perfectly reliable, never go wrong and are superb in every way.
Thats what I keep reading whenever you dare show doubts about the reliability.
Even when a french car does go wrong, its all in the mind dont ya know :-) and if it does happen, its only to bring your relationship with your dealer closer than ever before.
Are reliability figures acruate? - andyfr
Over the years we have owned quite a few French cars but we won't be getting any more. The quality has got worse with each generation.

Are reliability figures accurate? - Jamesh266
There are too many variables in publicly available reliability statistics for them to have any influence over my choice of car.

Different brands of car are bought by different types of person. The way individuals use their car and the faults they notice will affect the reliability statistics.

In my experience, it is the maintenance of the car that makes the most difference to reliability rather than where it was made. Unfortunately, the dealer who last serviced my last French car was useless.

Are reliability figures accurate? - jase1
Different brands of car are bought by different types of person. The way individuals use
their car and the faults they notice will affect the reliability statistics.

I don't really buy into this opinion -- it's said a lot in relation to Honda but the fact is that in the USA and some other countries, Hondas are bought by boy-racers and they're still considered among the most reliable cars on the market.

Most cars are reliable today. There are a few brands that are significantly better than average, and a few significantly worse. Other factors, such as how well they are looked after are far more important when you're considering the "middling" brands, and I doubt there is a massive difference in the chances of you getting a bad VW, Ford, Vauxhall or Hyundai.

I tend to look at the raw *reliability* (not cost of ownership as advertised) figures from Reliability Index, Tuv and ADAC, rather than the rather skewed data from the like of JD Power, Which and Top Gear. The latter do have useful information but it is hidden under a mass of subjective irrelevance such as plastics quality, dealer service etc. All I want to know is, how often does a particular model break.

In general, the only ones you should really watch are the ones that consistently occupy the bottom 10-20% of the surveys -- no-one can reasonably argue that the wealth of anecdotal evidence doesn't amount to anything.

Even then, this is only a reason, as far as I am concerned, to make the sell much harder for these cars -- I won't dismiss them out of hand. Citroens and Fiats, for example are very cheap -- this makes the gamble potentially worth it as you can pick up a much newer car for the same money. Likewise, VWs are so expensive second-hand that they'd have to be extremely good for me to even consider one -- and quite frankly they're not. Honda, on the other hand, seem to be worth spending the extra on to me.

French cars are not terrible. However, there is a mass of evidence to suggest that some larger Renaults (Laguna, Espace, Scenic, Megane) made between 2001 and 2005 are particularly bad, and they'd have to be exceptionally cheap before I'd consider one. They aren't, so I won't.
Are reliability figures accurate? - drbe
>> the rather skewed data from the like of JD Power Which and Top Gear.>>

How is the data from, say, Which? skewed?
How is the data from say Which? skewed?

All of these customer satisfaction surveys have a tendency to bundle in things like; the customer's opinion on whether his car was reliable; the dealer service (whatever that is); peripheral/non-reliability related issues like snapped bits of trim and so on.

Indeed, I've seen a number of occasions where the highest-ranked car in the JD Power Survey was not the car that had the highest reliability figure -- yet the survey claims to be a reliability survey.
>> All of these customer satisfaction surveys have a tendency to bundle in things like; the customer's opinion on whether his car was reliable; the dealer service (whatever that is);

>>

Nope.

The Which? reliability survey
"uses statistical analysis to group makes into reliability bands - based on breakdowns, faults and niggles"

Where is that 'skewing' or 'bundle in things'?

Are reliability figures accurate? - Andrew-T
>breakdowns, faults and niggles<

To me, niggles are no more than that - they don't imply unreliability. More something like not enough cupholders.
I've seen the form that Which hand out.

One of the questions is; "how reliable have you found your car to be?"

Err, how is this 'statistical analysis'?

Which might be less subjective than most, but it is still not as scientific as the like of Tuv or ADAC -- granted these relate to German breakdowns rather than British ones but they are still reliable.

In any case, the Which? results reflect what everyone else says -- Japanese excellent, Korean good, Skoda good, Ford/Vauxhall average, Renault and Fiat shocking.
I've seen the form that Which hand out.
One of the questions is; "how reliable have you found your car to be?"
Err how is this 'statistical analysis'?

How would you expect Which? to obtain their statistics? Come round each owners house and check the invoices for each car and owner?

When those statistics are obtained, they are analysed. Hence the phrase 'statistical analysis'
"How would you expect Which? to obtain their statistics? Come round each owners house and check the invoices for each car and owner?"

That's the way Tuv and ADAC effectively do it -- they look through the statistics (that is to say, numerical data) and run it through an algorithm to come out with a factual comparison of how good a car is.

Which? do not. They give you a set of questions and ask you to grade between 1 and 5. Some of these questions are highly subjective. What one person considers to be reliable, another does not.

"When those statistics are obtained, they are analysed. Hence the phrase 'statistical analysis' "

But when those 'statistics' are based on subjective data, they are inherently skewed. A study that deals with real breakdowns is far more realistic.

Opinions are never as reliable as fact.
Are reliability figures accurate? - Manatee
>>How is the data from, say, Which? skewed? (drbe)

For a start, the stats are survey based and all the respondents are Which? subscribers - not, if I may say this without giving offence, typical purchasers of anything except Which?magazine. Secondly the response rates are unknown, but the respondents are self selecting and likely to be a minority of subscribers.

I once managed a warranty scheme (for domestic appliances not cars). I had very good visibility of in-guarantee failures, with 100% of appliances on risk, and of extended warranty claims where over 50% of some appliances types sold were on risk and repairs paid for from the claims fund. I can tell you that the failure rates were significantly higher (sometimes more than double) those confidently reported by Which? Which? knows this. Furthermore, although there was some correspondence in the rankings of failure rates and repair costs by brand, there were some puzzling differences, which I put down to reporting bias by the respondents.

Having said all that, you can buy the most reliable brand and still have a problem. When our washing machine needed replacing, I looked up the very reliable breakdown statistics; I bought a cheapish brand that had half the average failure rate, with roughly a 50/50 chance of a breakdown over 5 years. It broke down about once a year for 3 years, and the total spent on repairs exceeded the original cost when I threw it away when it was four years old.

Back to cars - even warranty insurance records can be misleading. One of my insurance contacts operated a car warranty scheme for a well known German make. They could never make a profit, the claims always exceeded the premiums collected. As it happened, a close relative at that time worked in the service department of of of the dealers of this particular make. When I told him, all was explained. Sometimes, when a valued customer objected to paying £500 for, say, a new seat motor, they would 'help out' themselves and the customer by putting through a claim on a different car's extended warranty.

By all means look at all info available and see if a pattern appears. I go back to my original suggestion - browse the technical forum here and check the car-by-car as well.
I once managed a warranty scheme (for domestic appliances not cars). I had very good
visibility of in-guarantee failures with 100% of appliances on risk and of extended warranty claims
where over 50% of some appliances types sold were on risk and repairs paid for
from the claims fund. I can tell you that the failure rates were significantly higher
(sometimes more than double) those confidently reported by Which? Which? knows this.

With domestic appliances I have come to the conclusion that, unless you buy the very best (Miele, Bosch, Siemens etc) a washing machine (say) *WILL* fail within five years (whereas the best merely *might*).

My approach therefore is to buy the cheapest appliance I can get my hands on (usually Beko or Indesit) and get the 5-year warranty for it -- SEP (someone else's problem).
were some puzzling differences which I put down to reporting bias by the respondents.

Oh absolutely. For cars, you can quite easily see a Honda owner being too embarrassed to admit to his car being a heap, and likewise you can see a Citroen or Renault owner being too proud (you know how protective some owners can be).
Back to cars - even warranty insurance records can be misleading.

That's why I mentioned ADAC -- the German AA. These deal with the cars they see, knackered, at the side of the road. That's true unreliability!
Are reliability figures acruate? - Andrew-T
>Over the years we have owned quite a few French cars but we won't be getting any more. The quality has got worse with each generation.<

I have a 99T 306 and an 89G 205, so quality is still high :-). But that wasn't the reason I didn't move into the 7 series - I just decided Pug had lost the plot (tho it is reported that the 208 GTi has recovered a bit of style/elan).
Are reliability figures acruate? - Lucretia
Has to be said, I just think Pug's are ugly (as a pug :D), so I probably wouldn't buy one even if they were deemed reliable ;)

Luke.
Are reliability figures acruate? - Andrew-T
>I just think Pug's are ugly<

I agree with you - as long as you are talking about 307, 208 etc. The 205 was a classic, as HJ confirms. Ford's Fiesta was a pretty close copy.
Are reliability figures accurate? - Avant
Whether or not the figures are accurate, so many of the surveys consistently put Toyota, Honda and Skoda at the top of the satisfaction lists that these must surely give you the best chance of getting a good one.
Are reliability figures accurate? - ForumNeedsModerating
Different brands of car are bought by different types of person. The way individuals use their car and the faults they notice will affect the reliability statistics.

Good point Jamesh266. The sort of people who but French cars always seem those least interested in cars or maintaining them properly - with exceptions of course. They probably buy more on colour & number of cupholders.
Are reliability figures accurate? - Dog
When I used to work in the motor trade, I used to say buy French for comfort, German for build quality and Jap for reliabillty.
I bought a Clio a few years ago - it was comfortable, but un-reliable.
I bought an Almera 2 years ago and its utterly butterly reliable.
I'm sure that the vast majority of French cars are ok but, from what I've seen, and from what I've heard, I wouldn't buy one - as nice as some of em are.

Dog.
Are reliability figures accurate? - Collos25
You only have to look on this site to realise that French cars seem to have the majority of major and minor problems.
Are reliability figures accurate? - fftdci
I have to say that this question has been bugging me lately. So the question really is: do you buy a french car when in warranty, and get rid as soon as the warranty expires? As most of the cars in the technical section tend to be 5 years and older.

Or do you buy a french car because you like the way the car looks and handles; and not pay any attention to what might break in the future?

I guess it ends up being a matter of heart over head; and a vast amount of luck :)
I'd have thought it'd be a case of: if that's what you really want then go for it (once you've discounted the other options), but if you happen to get stung, you have no-one really to blame but yourself.
Are reliability figures accurate? - madf
You only need to look at Owners Club Forums.
Toyota's (for the yaris at least ) are utterly boring - even for old cars.

The French ones: filled with cries for help.

The Mark2 Laguna epitomises the French attitude to quality: even worse than Mercedes.

Are reliability figures accurate? - Collos25
Its a good measure madf I run a Honda at the moment and the forum has very little in the way of problems but the Rover and Renault ones I used to frequent have pages of problems.
The Mercedes Owners Club Forums is full of: rust: MAF: ARB links,diesle pipe failres etc.

Confirms HJ reviews.

As for Peugeot forums!

and Ford forums are rather like Toyota ones.

Part of my pre buying research is ALWAYS to read the Owners' forums.. After all these people only post when they have problems...

The Mercedes Owners Club Forums is full of: rust: MAF: ARB links diesle pipe failres
etc.
Confirms HJ reviews.
As for Peugeot forums!

What about them?
and Ford forums are rather like Toyota ones.

Which is?
Part of my pre buying research is ALWAYS to read the Owners' forums.. After all
these people only post when they have problems...

K.

Luke.
>Luke
If you bothered to read the thread..:-)

"You only need to look at Owners Club Forums.
Toyota's (for the yaris at least ) are utterly boring - even for old cars."

Are reliability figures accurate? - Stuartli
What you really mean is "Are reliability figures reliable?"

You could ask how long is a piece of string.

People with reliable cars, of whatever make, rarely trumpet the fact, whereas those who have problems shout it from the rooftops; this tends to distort the real picture.

It applies to many things, not just cars.

But it would be safe to say that if you buy leading Japanese manufacturers' vehicles you stand a much better chance of trouble-free motoring...:-)
Are reliability figures accurate? - boxsterboy
We've had a string of French cars over the years - mostly Citroens. We have also had (and have VWs and Mercs).

For my next car I will consider Citroens, as well as Mercs or VWs. Nothing in recent history to put me off any of them (although the Mercs and VWs are far more expensive to run and service than the Citroens).
Are reliability figures accurate? - stunorthants26
There is also the sad phenomenon of people buying cars and becoming used to the concept that something brand new could well break at any time.

Now I drive a Daihatsu and it doesnt break, nothing even looks like it will, which is why it amuses me that people claim they have a reliable car that has only had say 4 major faults and 6 minor for eg. Reliable means it can be relied upon - if a car is at all liable to going wrong, it is not reliable but may be the lesser of many evils on sale.

How can anyone reasonably claim that something which cannot always be relied upon to do the job and be able to perform all the functions it was originally designed to perform is anything other than unreliable.

If it came down to it and say, you needed a nurse to visit you every single day of the year or you would certainly die if she didnt, would you say she was reliable if one day within that year, she decided she didnt want to work? Sure, most car faults arent life or death, but genuine reliability doesnt have degrees and ity becomes just probability of failure.
Now I drive a Daihatsu and it doesnt break, nothing even looks like it will, which is why it amuses me that people claim they have a reliable car that has only had say 4 major faults and 6 minor <<

Depends on what the faults are, and how you define a major fault.

Is a new clutch at 100K miles a major fault? Some would say yes, I'd say no.

And so on.

But I do agree with what you are saying. I will not tolerate unreliability. My Primera has been sailing dangerously close to the wind (200K miles, new clutch, exhaust system, rear brake caliper, ABS ring (i.e. driveshaft) over a 20K period). None of the above are really reliability issues -- it's just wear on a leggy car -- but it's still been stretching my patience. I dread to think about the raging fury I'd be experiencing if I'd had some of the cars you hear about, which are backed up by the owner.
Are reliability figures accurate? - stunorthants26
Certainly parts have a shelf life and if you have a car over 100k, some parts can be expected to wear out, certain service items before that.
However, I expect my Daihatsu to need nothing other than servicing and wear and tear items until well into 6 figure mileages. I dont expect electrical glitches, major mechanical failures of parts ive never heard of and the like.
After 150k it is getting to the end of life for some cars so what you get after that is a bonus, but not applicable for the vast majority of people who never keep a car that long.
Are reliability figures accurate? - spikeyhead {p}
After 150k it is getting to the end of life for some cars so what
you get after that is a bonus but not applicable for the vast majority of
people who never keep a car that long.

My Mondeo tdci, which according to many of the avid readers of this forum is the worlds most unreliable vehicle is now on 153k miles and is still running smoothly.
>Luke
If you bothered to read the thread..:-)

I did, your post didn't make any sense. :)
"You only need to look at Owners Club Forums.
Toyota's (for the yaris at least ) are utterly boring - even for old cars."

Quite like the little car, apart from the size :/

Luke.
Are reliability figures accurate? - L'escargot
Personal opinions regarding reliability are always biased by the fact that the (few) owners of samples which are unreliable tend to broadcast their dissatisfaction, but the (large number of) owners of reliable samples usually don't say anything.

Edited by L'escargot on 09/09/2008 at 08:58

Are reliability figures accurate? - Andrew-T
>the (few) owners of samples which are unreliable tend to broadcast their dissatisfaction<

So the number of whingers should be a rough measure of the unreliability rate, allowing for the sales volume of each marque?
Are reliability figures accurate? - The Melting Snowman
I agree with practically every comment that Jase1 has made and Madf's comments about looking at ownership forums is very good advice.

>>Woodbines
"Good point Jamesh266. The sort of people who but French cars always seem those least interested in cars or maintaining them properly - with exceptions of course. They probably buy more on colour & number of cupholders."
With or without 'exceptions', on what (if anything) do you base this ridiculous assumption?

L'escargot

"Personal opinions regarding reliability are always biased by the fact that the (few) owners of samples which are unreliable tend to broadcast their dissatisfaction, but the (large number of) owners of reliable samples usually don't say anything."
On what do you base that 'fact'? If you look at Carsurvey.org for example, you will find many positive write-ups (admittedly mostly for Japanese cars...) as well as negative ones. Even if one accepts your 'fact' (which I don't) it only has validity if you could prove a dissatisfied owner of car X was more likely to be vocal that a dissatisfied owner of car Y. Whilst it may be true that if you have spent £30000 on a BMW and it goes wrong you will be more annoyed than if a £4999 Ford Ka goes wrong, I can't see why makes of similar prices and market sector would differ, i.e. Fiat compared to Ford.

My own views are that it is down to the balance of probability. No one survey gives an accurate picture but if you piece it all together including looking at ownership forums then a clear picture emerges. Money is hard to earn and going to get increasing hard over the coming years with a slowing economy and looming tax rises. I prefer to spend my money on products with a reputation for giving good service, day in day out. That's why we have Miele domestic appliances (they are quite simply brilliant) and why I like Japanese cars although more recently I have grown to admire and respect Fords, particularly the petrols. Why waste your money on poor products from a lame-duck manufacturer?

Another huge benefit of Japanese cars is they design them to be easily fixed. Look under the bonnet of a Nissan Almera and any French car and say which you would rather service or repair.

"Another huge benefit of Japanese cars is they design them to be easily fixed. "

Could not agree more. Layout of wiring and plumbing on Yaris diesel is brilliant. Servcing is easy: just read the handbook - which gives full instructions!

Are reliability figures accurate? - Stuartli
>>sed by the fact that the (few) owners of samples which are unreliable tend to broadcast their dissatisfaction..>>

Which is what I pointed out on Monday...:-)