Missing service history? No problem! - lordwoody
My daughter has just bought a Peugeot 206 . It came with no service history and no handbook. Whilst searching ebay for a handbook I came across this...
tinyurl.com/58qrtv
Missing service history? No problem! - Screwloose

E-bay - the natural habitat of low-life scum.

Never buy a car without a plausible service book - usually a sign of "mileage adjustment."
I did point her in other directions but sometimes you have to learn your own lessons in life.
Missing service history? No problem! - mike hannon
I see there's a disclaimer in minute type near the end.
And the seller has a 98 100 per cent satisfaction rating.
I look at eBay these days to see what's around but it really is becoming a swindlers' paradise.
Just as an afterthought: what dealer name is the service book stamped with?

Edited by mike hannon on 05/09/2008 at 18:25

Missing service history? No problem! - s61sw
''Just as an afterthought: what dealer name is the service book stamped with?''

good point - surely a dealer mentioned as such should have claim for something (false representation?)

S6 1SW
Missing service history? No problem! - Stuartli
>>..really is becoming a swindlers' paradise.>>

With more than nine million people involved it's hardly surprising.

But there are some good ones out thee - just make sure you continue to support them when you find them.
Missing service history? No problem! - Pugugly
...and a 183 other service books on his site.
Missing service history? No problem! - The_Flexible_Flaw
As far as I am concerned if a car doesn't have the previous MoTs it doesn't have a FSH. That a trader didn't have them for what looked like a corking Alfa 166 put me off.

Traders and sellers complain about 'tyre kickers' but then they advertise cars as 'low mileage & FSH' in the title when there's no previous MoTs to back up the mileage or history.

You also see fake 'dealer stamps' for sale on eBay.

You can get fake MoT certificates I guess....
Missing service history? No problem! - Dog
I bought a nice Toyota Supra from my Sisters boy some years ago ...
He has a small lock-up & does repairs and *coachwork* ...
I sold it on (quite innocently) to a copper ...
The car was previously a write off ...
The main dealer FSH was false.

cavaeat emptor - Dog.
Missing service history? No problem! - gordonbennet
We looked at a MB 320 diesel a few years ago, that was advertised as FSH and lowish mileage, luckily swmbo has eagle eyes and she worked for some years at a defleet centre, so knows what to look for.
She very soon sussed that the stamps didn't relate time wise.

Its getting to be a minefield for the average punter.
Missing service history? No problem! - b308
Come on GB, let us into the secret, what sort of things is she looking for that can show the stamps to be forged?

BTW has the OP refered this to Ebay - I'd have thought that it was certainly against their code of conduct, if not illegal?
Missing service history? No problem! - sierraman
If you check their feedback they have not sold anything since June,suddenly they have 183 hand/log books for sale,highly suspicious.
Come on GB let us into the secret what sort of things is she looking
for that can show the stamps to be forged

Do women have that more ruthless sixth sense of when they're being turned over, i wonder.

Its just a feeling she gets, the first thing with this car was the wear to the steering wheel, and then that prompted her to check for more wear around, she tells me its feeling the wear on the seats, the way the gears change, a general feeling of tiredness.
The fleet centre she worked at covered everything from metro's to Lexus 400's and MB's and BM's, so she knows how the different qualities of cars should wear.

Then of course she did the examination of the service book and any mot's comparing with the previous ownership, same owner for several years, but huge differences in annual mileages.
In a way the service book can be just the damning final reason to walk away.

Her words...do i like the look of it, inside is it tired do things feel right, does it feel good to drive and firm, then if its old enough do the mot's correspond to its use and mileage, last of all the service history only confirms her appraisal, its not to be considered proof, especially on a less than 3 year old car. Judgement being 90% of it.
(i've just realised she hasn't mentioned the bodywork, working at a defleet/refurb centre, she knows what the body lads can do, so maybe thats no longer a guide to mileage and use, seems like the interior is her guide, must say it works, she doesn't buy any pups)

Then as she's Greek i walk away shaking my head in sympathy as she negotiates the poor seller into submission..;)
Missing service history? No problem! - Andrew-T
>As far as I am concerned if a car doesn't have the previous MoTs it doesn't have a FSH. <

F_F : I regard a full set of MoT certs. as a nice-to-have, but I certainly wouldn't rule a car out without one. You would walk away from lots of decent motors using that rule - I can imagine many very careful owners who simply throw away each expired certificate. After all, an MoT represents no 'servicing'. All it does is confirm the progress of mileage (which is very useful I agree) and clearly makes a car easier to sell to someome like yourself ...
- I can imagine many very careful owners who simply
throw away each expired certificate. After all an MoT represents no 'servicing'.

I disagree, i'm a typical careful owner, and have every one of the mot's for my 12 year old MB except one which somehow i've misplaced and i'm absolutely devastated, but as thats within my owner ship (2nd) its not so bad i suppose.
The mot trail is the true record of the history of the car, very few people would for example remember to clock the car annually in order to create a low mileage history, and when one examines the car and then finally the service histrory, a half an hours perusal will soon show the discreps.

I'm another one who wants a full set of previous mot's and if they arn't available, i may still buy the car, but it will be assumed to be clocked and priced accordingly.

IMO a full set of mot's would probably put 50% on the value of the car, obviously it depends on the type of car, a very valuable item to not keep.

Interesting though, i wonder how many of us that keep mot's etc also are meticulous in servicing and care, i would have thought the two go hand in hand.
Missing service history? No problem! - Galaxy
I would want to see all previous MOTs plus receipts for all services that have been carried out. A telephone call to the servicing dealer wouldn't be out of the question, either!

Referring to the Ebay listing for that bloke selling stamped service books, it looks to me that he is obtaining them to order,i.e. when someone buys one he obtains it for them.

Maybe someone should tell e-bay that its a mite dodgy.
Missing service history? No problem! - Optimist
I suppose this does point up the value of main dealer servicing: their/the manufacturer's computer should have a complete record of everything done on the car, shouldn't it?

Edited by Pugugly on 06/09/2008 at 14:13

The item has now been removed by ebay.

"This listing (330266041496) has been removed or is no longer available."
Missing service history? No problem! - R40
> "This listing (330266041496) has been removed or is no longer available."
>

Interesting -it can be worth reporting items. Recently ebay have become sensitised to fraudulent auctions etc. so quick action often results..........
>I suppose this does point up the value of main dealer servicing: their/the manufacturer's computer should have a complete record of everything done on the car, shouldn't it?<

That's just it. Nothing is done to a car at an MoT - it just shows the car was roadworthy (allegedly) and records the mileage and (if you are lucky) the result of the emissions test. Like GB and others I keep all such docs, but I don't add 50% to the value of a car just because it has a full set of MoTs. I kid myself I have a certain amount of judgment too. So far I have bought no lemons.

As an aside, as MoTs are now computerised, can one ask for a full MoT history on a vehicle?
Missing service history? No problem! - smokescreen
I dont know if this applies to Peugeot, but given they're in the same group, I was able to call Citroen UK and find out where the car originated from, and then call the branch for info on the car in more detail.
Missing service history? No problem! - malden blue
www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/servlet/ECHIDDispatcher

this gives you the full history of the MOT's your car has undertaken allegedly

Edited by malden blue on 06/09/2008 at 16:52

>This gives you the full history of the MOT's your car has undertaken allegedly <

Yes it does - but only since the computerisation of course.
Missing service history? No problem! - mikeyb
Audi also have a pretty good system - I bought an A6 which was due a service - called my local dealer who had all the history of the car on his screen, but had never seen the car
Missing service history? No problem! - mikeyb
Looks like I just missed out - listing now removed by ebay
Missing service history? No problem! - jbif
Looks like I just missed out - listing now removed by ebay

Don't worry, there are many many others:
tinyurl.com/5qmxmj

I reported the initial ebay listing to ebay and it's been removed. I've also sent them details of others, whether anything will happen is another matter. That link to the list of past MOTs was very useful as it has at least allowed me to confirm the cars mileage as being correct, which the lack of service history began to make me suspicious about.
I reported it as well - guess they need some HJ trained Mods on that site :-)

Edited by Pugugly on 06/09/2008 at 18:12

Missing service history? No problem! - b308
Oops! And me!
Missing service history? No problem! - Tron
I have a FSH for my car. As provided by the ex lease company...

...on a sheet of A4 paper!!!

So I contacted the dealership in South Wales that did the work.

No problems - just have to 'pop in' (I'm in South Yorkshire!) and in person with the log book and the vehicle the next time I am passing they say...

Had the car for nearly a year now and in October I am going to Cornwall to get my yearly top up of Cider & Cornish Cream stout...

...so I will divert my route and obtain the FSH for my vehicle then!
Missing service history? No problem! - Paddler Ed
My car (going to clear 200,000 miles tomorrow) has a nearly FSH with main dealers (all except 1, which came from the de-fleeting centre, but that was still written into the book) and for every single stamp in the book is the quick check sheet advising on the brake wear, tyre wear and what was done on the car at the time. I bought it from a little dealer who just dealt in Volvo estates, and got the majority of his stock from the local main dealer (I went there on their recommendation). When I took the car in for a service they noticed the car and then put 2 and 2 together and realised it was the one I'd got; they've serviced the car since it cleared 24k, right upto the 172k service. After that it's been to the same dealer up here for the last 3 services.

Things that make this car add up? The wear on the interior, the dealer stickers on the plates match the original supplying dealer and the info gleamed from the last servicing dealer (it helps that we as a family are on first name terms with the principal)

Am I going to change it? Not a hope in hell! I've just put 2 new Dunlops on the front and it still goes like stink!