Overtakers, what reaction? - gordonbennet
Been meaning to ask this question for some time, but a slightly late overtake today has reminded me.

We've all done it, i know i have and i'll bet everyone here has too, overtaking a little bit late and cutting it fine.

OK, i'm in me truck today on a town bypass about 4 miles long, you know the sort constructed about 10 years ago, wide enough for a centre lane, but the planners made the thing 2 lane instead of dualling, can't have the proletariat getting a move on can we.

I'm not doing quite the 40mph pedant, i'm in the words of my very competent HGV trainer 'maintaining normal progress', anyway i spy in the mirror a van overtaking me, he's left it a little late, so i ease the truck over close to the n/s verge to give him some room, no probs he's by without drama and flashes a thankyou..so far so good.
But as is nearly always the case, the driver(s) coming the other way maintain there speed and trajectory, hugging the crown of the road, what this achieves i don't get, to be fair there wasn't the flashing headlamps and hand signs that sometimes accompany a late overtaker, but no attempt to give a little room either.

If the lead car coming the other way just eased a little over to the left as well, we would all be safer, no one needs to brake or take any evasive manoeuvres, just move 3 ft to the left.

I truly believe that some drivers would sooner have a head on smash with a late passer than just ease over a bit to the left and make everyone's day safer.

I also by the way on similar width roads get over to the left side if there is an oncoming tractor, so the vehicles coming the other way can get by, many still don't take advantage, but most good drivers don't need a second invitation.

Whats with this my space/punishment/whatever goes through drivers heads, why would someone risk being maimed or worse instead of using the width and a little common courtesy or even a bit of live and let live.

Sorry, i tend to waffle a bit...ok a lot.

Overtakers, what reaction? - BazzaBear {P}
Obviously I move over - I don't want to have a headon.

But should the van driver in your story really be crossing the white line when he won't get back on the right side of the road before he meets oncoming traffic? Would you be willing to just assume that the cars coming the other way will move aside?

Incidentally, I had this happen to me once (I was the oncoming traffic) in bad weather. I was forced away from the crown of the road (not that I was hugging the line, I was central in my lane) and into a verge replete with large puddles. Aquaplaned badly and could easily have lost control. Worth it because some numpty can't be bothered to wait until there isn't anything coming the other way?

Basically, my philosophy is this: Why take risks? Attempting to barge oncomers out of your way is no small risk, and therefore I wouldn't dream of doing it. I like my car and hy head the shape they are.

Edited by BazzaBear {P} on 03/09/2008 at 20:42

Overtakers, what reaction? - Adam {P}
I'll tell you what focuses the mind in siutations like this - watching the NCAP crash video for your car.

I'll admit, early on in my driving career, I probably was a bit to quick to speed up and make a point by flashing the headlights. That was until I saw the crash test for my car and went all cold inside (it didn't help it being the exact same fetching shade of gold). Great for making you realise what an idiot you can be sometimes.

If anyone manages to overtake me (going in the same direction), I'm usually very impressed. ;)
Overtakers, what reaction? - Adam {P}
Oh and Gordon - you don't waffle! Your posts always make for a very interesting read!
Overtakers, what reaction? - tyro
>>Whats with this my space/punishment/ . . . instead of using the width and a little common courtesy or even a
bit of live and let live.

I completely agree with you, GB. I don't understand it. I try to do my best to assist overtakers, and good luck to 'em. Failure to do so is a sign of being ethically challenged.

Am I the only one who thinks that it is incredibly small-minded to flash one's lights at an oncoming overtaking vehicle just because one thinks he has cut it a bit close? A few years ago I remember seeing this happening in France, and thinking "That's not a very French thing to do." As I got closer, I saw that the flasher was in British registered car.
Overtakers, what reaction? - Lud
Tell me about it gb. Of course on a real road it's potentially lethal and more serious. But the norm these days in London is to drive straight down the middle of wide side roads and sort of get partly out of the way at the last moment. I think the thing to do is to make it clear that you aren't going to intersect with the car coming the other way well in advance, and maintain (moderate of course) speed. Not force the person coming the other way to slow down, or engage in a sort of chicken run scenario.

It's wall to wall halfwits these days I tell you Neddy. And if you react your wife or other passenger is liable to give you an earful. It's almost unbearable sometimes.
Overtakers, what reaction? - bananastand
gordon is right. In Leigh, there are two traffic light systems with awkward right turn lanes by the supermarkets. I often get home late and see a LOT of crash aftermaths, police, ambulance etc.

anyway, people seem to be all too willing to risk a head-on just to get to the front of the queue.

for those who know Leigh I'm talking about that stretch in front of asda
Overtakers, what reaction? - Alby Back
Funnily enough GB. Today, I was gaining on a car transporter on the north bound M1 near Rotherham / Sheffield. Blue coachwork and a fun plate on the unit reading "Scooby". A "kind" oldish lady with what appeared to be a brace of grandkids in the back of a small hatchback cut him up fiercely by exiting an entry sliproad about 50 yards in front of him at no more than 20 mph. All credit to "Scooby", he slipped round her with no fuss or drama despite the fact that had he been experiencing a moment's inattention (or perhaps dunking a Custard Cream :-) ) he would have simply gone over her. He didn't bother to sound his horn and as I also passed her it was quite clear that she had no idea what she had just escaped being part of.

Good driver. Wasn't you was it ?!
btw, he was carrying Merc Vito vans.
btw he was carrying Merc Vito vans.

Thats the competition, but we are much better looking..;)
(or perhaps dunking a Custard Cream :-) )

>. Wasn't you was it ?!

Your memory is far too good, it wasn't me i don't do custard creams, they tend to soften too much and break up causing stilted conversations on the phone, can't concentrate on chatting whilst digging the remnants of a dissolving custard cream out with a spoon.
I shall be passing your area up and down the M6 tomorrow, i'll be dunking morrissons oatmeal crunch's or hovis bikkies so you'll know its me..;)

I wonder how we'll be when we are of the age of the lady you mention, the way the roads have changed and speeded up and the huge traffic volumes, and courtesy all but vanishing must be difficult to cope with for our seniors, dread to think what the next 20 years will bring to the roads....that could make a thread..predictions for the next 2 decades.

will have a better look at the replies tomorrow, got to get to bed now, up early.

Overtakers, what reaction? - davidh
The flashing of overtakers by on-comers is not heplful as its potentially dazzling a driver when he most needs to see (if that makes sense!!) I'm pretty sure he knows the oncomer is there already!

My pulse certainly races a little when I see someone coming toward me on my side of the road. I have to say I've never played chicken but I have flashed (my headlamps).

My motivation for flashing has been a rebuke. I think because I felt that the oncomer has somehow purposefully put me and mine in unnecessary danger.
Overtakers, what reaction? - Tron
I look for the impatient driver all of the time - I will move over, slow down and even pull over to a stop to let the person pass more safely in front of me because I can then concentrate on my own driving without the worry of not 'if' but 'when' will it go for the overtake?

Coming towards me - yep you can and I do move to the kerb and reduce speed but that is not for their well being - it is strictly so I don't get hurt or endager others around me.

I never flash an oncoming driver, you don't know their frame of mind - seriously there have been cases that people have commited suicide by driving in to on coming traffic and causing head on collisions.

I drive with side lights on all of the time too - just to ensure I make myself as visible to other road users as I can.

I am very considerate and thoughtful of others on the roads. I know all to well many (but not all) are not thinking or as awake to what is going on about them as they should be...

...I am always ready to give way even if I don't have to and I treat all like they have not seen me. Far safer.

I always sit in full view of the mirrors of any vehicle I am following or I am going to overtake and I will 'bob out' to have a look before I go for the overtake to ensure I have enough room and it is safe to 'go' for it.

Impatient or held up driver? Held up by others that won't (or in the case of larger vehicles simply legally cannot) do the speed limit and are restricting the flow of traffic?

I never pressurise commercial or any class of vehicles to go faster - I will sit back and wait for a safe opportunity to pass them.

Then again, it could have been one of the selfish few that was holding them up on the motorway by hogging that '70mph' middle lane ....

...and now that the heldup driver has left the motorway, a place that it is a lot safer and legal to go at 70mph - that driver is now driving outside of his box, trying to make up for lost time on A B and C class roads and seriously endangering the rest of us.
Overtakers, what reaction? - Cliff Pope
The dilema I sometimes have when beeing overtaken is whether to slow up in order to help a chance-taker get by, or maintain speed and hope he will slip back in behind.

A few weeks on a long steepish uphill section, I was doing a steady 55. A white van pulled out to overtake me but clearly he could only manage 58, and by the time he was nearly alongside traffic was approaching. He showed no signs of giving up, so I braked sharply and pulled over, and he cut in in front with inches to spare.
But if he had at that moment braked too he would have side-swiped straight into me.

Overtakers, what reaction? - Nsar
I'd suggest that the best way ofdealing with that situation is to take control for the other driver by letting him past and then he's in front of you where you can deal with his impatience far better by you choosing what distance there is between your vehicles.

Having an impatient driver of unknown ability on your tailpipe is far less controllable a situation.

Overtakers, what reaction? - Altea Ego
> Your memory is far too good, it wasn't me i don't do custard creams

you need tim tams GB You can suck your mug of cha up through the center of the tim tam.

damn m6 - it has some of the shortest entry slips i know.

Edited by Webmaster on 05/09/2008 at 02:25

Overtakers, what reaction? - b308
Am I the only one who thinks that it is incredibly small-minded to flash one's
lights at an oncoming overtaking vehicle just because one thinks he has cut it a
bit close?

I don't know if you are, but if they have cut it close then yes, I would, its just a little reminder to them to take a bit more care next time as they clearly hadn't seen me or misjudged (accidentally or deliberately) the overtaking - the highway code says that flashing ones lights is just an indication that you are there - one of those times when doing it serves a useful purpose!

I would however move as far over to the left hand side of the road to avoid the numpty, a head-on isn't something I want to be involved in!

BTW, if you think about it, if you have had time to react to these numpties by sounding your horn or flashing your lights but not needed to move over then they've probably judged it right - its only if you have to take evasive action as well that they've got it wrong!
Overtakers, what reaction? - NARU
I've certainly made the odd misjudgement over the years, and am pleased that others around me have made space - just as I try to do for them. I always try to move left when bikers are coming through (given that they are particularly vulnerable), and try to let lorries keep their momentum, especially when they're coming uphill and I'm coming down.

I think the reason that more people don't is probably lack of observation - many people are not actually scanning the road ahead terribly well!

I see lots of drivers driving pretty close to the car in front, in a world of their own - not looking to make progress, not scanning the road in front, but getting caught out if the car in front slows - you see a cascade of brakelights as they each wake up!

Edited by Marlot on 04/09/2008 at 12:24

Overtakers, what reaction? - terryb
The sad thing is, I think some of the oncoming drivers don't know how wide their vehicles are so are reluctant to tuck themselves in tight to the kerb. They also might not realise how tight things are likely to get on the crown of the road either.

As I say to SWMBO, you do the multi-tasking, I'll do the spatial awareness.

Overtakers, what reaction? - Optimist
In Spain some years ago driving from Almeria up to Granada on a windy, single carriageway road going gently up a montain, I realised that there seemed to be a protocol: if you overtook, oncoming traffic would adjust speed to allow you to get back in again safely without making any protest.

That does seem to be the Spanish custom more or less everywhere. Without it, on some roads, you'd have miles of traffic stuck behind a lorry. It's a lot easier on the blood pressure!

Normal levels of caution and care still apply.
Overtakers, what reaction? - Sofa Spud
I remember one driver who used to move towards the crown of the road if they saw an oncoming vehicle about to overtake a cyclist. He was prepared to miss other cars by millimetres!

More seriously, I remember a scary situation when I was being overtaken once. A car behind me decided to overtake in the face of an oncoming vehicle. As he passed I braked so he could pull in ahead of me, out of the way of the oncoming vehicle. EXCEPT, at exactly the same moment as I braked, the overtaker also decided to brake, with the intention of tucking back in behind me. So we were both braking heavily, side-by-side, at the same time. Only for as second or so, and there was no collision with the oncoming vehicle - but nevertheless it was a freak scenario that could be a hidden explanation for some head-on collisions.
Overtakers, what reaction? - Westpig
an awful lot of the British motoring public are unable to properly judge distance and speed. This means that when they see someone coming towards them in their lane, doing an overtake, the automatic reaction to it is to get shirty or bothered about it, instead of judging what is going on and get on with life..

how may people do you know who wouldn't overtake on a straight and clear 'A' road if there was 'something coming' despite the fact that the 'something' is so far away, you'd have time to do your overtake, pull back in, change the radio station, scratch your head and open a packet of Polos

I'd acknowledge there are suicidal ignorant loons that will try an overake anywhere, i'm talking about the average driver that knows what he/she is doing and is quite prepared to overtake if they wish/need to.

ever decreasing speed limits and nanny state interventions (e.g. blocking vision when you approach a roundabout) don't help as it encourages 'mimsing' rather than planning ahead and getting on with it.

then there's the people that sit up behind stopped buses, no intention at all of looking beyond and overtaking...Good Lord, that would take forward planning and a driving strategy, can't have that.......it's dangerous Arthur.
Overtakers, what reaction? - Number_Cruncher
>>an awful lot of the British motoring public are unable to properly judge distance and speed

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find a small but measurable proportion of the driving population think that overtaking where you cross into an opposing lane is illegal, i.e., you shouldn't do it anywhere but on motorways or dual carriageways.

For me, the problem is that in my day to day commute, I may only do 1/4 of a mile on ordinary roads, the rest is dual carriageway. It's only when doing something silly, like trying to get from the Midlands to East Anglia that I find myself dusting off my overtaking skills.

Overtakers, what reaction? - jase1
ever decreasing speed limits and nanny state interventions (e.g. blocking vision when you approach a roundabout) <<

That's deliberate?

Grrr, that's one of my pet-hates. Especially when it's on a derestricted road -- you don't want to be slowing to a virtual stop then accelerating hard to keep up with those who've come from your right, gone straight on and have built up speed.
Overtakers, what reaction? - Lud
Mine too. Dangerous, evil-minded vandalism by moronic, evil-minded local authorities.
Overtakers, what reaction? - Westpig
That's deliberate?

sadly so.....to get everyone to slow down apparently.

So

- A, the truly cautious carry on doing what they always do and stop anyway.
- B,The truly dangerous carry on doing what they do and drive down at speed, standing
on the brakes hard if they have to,
- C, whilst the rest of us who could easily look ahead and plan accordingly are
inconvenienced and have to slow right down, when at times we don't need to

which group are the ones that really ought to be looked at to improve their driving and therefore road safety?

If people want to plod along in a long line then I have no problem with them as long as they leave sufficent room betwen them and the car in front so I can "hop" from one gap to the other... the ones who site up the back end of the car in front with no intention of overtaking are a pain in the pink fluffy dice!

Edited by Webmaster on 09/09/2008 at 01:27

Some interesting and amusing replies there chaps, thankyou.

My easy going attitude mainly applies where the road is wide enough and good enough for even late'ish overtakes to just require a little shifting to the left of the overtaken and the oncoming.
Could that be an age thing i wonder, i should imagine many of the younger drivers haven't sampled the pleasures and perils of the 3 lane two way carriageway.
It really sharpened up your distance perception, maybe trying to judge spacing and speed of vehicles up to nearly a mile ahead travelling both ways, seems to me many drivers now have a job to know whats going on 100 yards ahead.

I certainly don't condone blatantly dangerous overtakes, blind bends and roads too narrow for any alternative but heavy braking if misjudged.

Strangely enough on the way home in my car this afternoon, wide by pass road again, a car about 5 vehicles ahead of me overtook the truck we were following, he was a little late, new shape civic seemed to take an age to go by, driver probably still in top gear.
Neither the truck driver or the car coming the other way made any attempt to give the chap some room (road easily wide enough for 3), the car coming seemed to aim for him, it got pretty close..utter madness. Were they honestly prepared to be involved in a multi pile up to prove a point?
By the way, not a cat in hells chance of the batch of us getting by this truck, so i'm keeping my usual 100 or so yards behind, what does the driver behind me expect to achieve by sitting 6 feet from my rear bumper? He could easily have overtaken me, and i would rather he had TBH.

There was a similar thread running on another forum i use, frequented by mainly younger drivers, they were discussing preventing people overtaking them...bizarre, no one replied to my common sense (maybe) views that i'd sooner a hot head in front of me than behind.
I know, i was wasting my time, but you have to try.

I tried to think back to being that age, and my reaction to being overtaken, i distinctly remember being on the A600 i think South of Shefford heading to my old home to visit my parents, i was about 18 or so, i was driving reasonably as quickly as my jalopy would go, when a middle aged chap in green overalls came up behind me in a Rover 2000tc.
He showed me a text book overtake, staying well back, not antagonising or tailgaiting, and when the opportunity was likely he was already at overtaking speed before he needed to pull out, the classic slingshot, gone, back in not too quickly, smooth rapid professional driving, the sort you seldom see now, and a pleasure to witness.
I didn't get upset or feel my young manhood had been questioned, i was impressed how quick and safe he was, and i learned from him and many more since.
Have to be jolly careful overtaking in the future, the attitiude of some of the youngsters.
Overtakers, what reaction? - Kiwi Gary
I was taught that method of overtaking 40 years ago, and still use it. I get interesting comments from some passengers who accuse me of trying to ram the vehicle in front. It also infuriates the tailgaters, who cannot understand why I like a decent acceleration space. I like to have at least a 10 mph speed advantage by the time my front bumper is level with the rear bumper of the vehicle that I am overtaking. That is most unfashionable here, where most drivers tailgate, and overtake by moving out, then accelerating. Plays havoc with the following traffic flow on multi-lane roads.

I have also been caught several times by an overtaker deciding to brake just as I slam the anchors on to let him in rather than be driven into the ditch. Thus far, I have been able to react more quickly and get throttle full open and out of the way that way.

I have never been fussed about being overtaken, as I feel safer with them in front rather than them trying to knock my exhaust tailpipe off.
I was taught it as well, but it works best for lower powered cars where you need the room to get the speed up - there's no need for a long run up in many new cars - whilst you shouldn't tailgate you can be a lot closer to the car in front than you used to, especially with 1.9/2.0 TDis which have virtually instant punch just when you need it.
long run up in many new cars - whilst you shouldn't tailgate you can be
a lot closer to the car in front than you used to

I agree with that statement, but the beauty of the holding back method is that you can check up the inside of the target vehicle(s) when on left hand corners, whilst its amusing to see the person in front edging out to look around the outside on the same bend, not having a clue about the nearside view.
Plus by not tailgaiting you're not likely to get some young twit trying to out accelerate you (see above) as he will be flabbergasted that an old codger should have stitched him up like a kipper..;)

Kiwi Gary sounds like he's in our club too.
Also, if you use the hang back, accelerate / then pull out /slingshot technique you can often take out multi mimsers in one hit. Very satisifying.

Edit - hark at 'im wot has just returned to a car with decent acceleration after 12 years in agricultural diesel wilderness !

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 05/09/2008 at 20:11

Overtakers, what reaction? - Optimist
IIRC the bloke who taught me to drive referred to the minimum TED, ie time exposed to danger, when overtaking.

Surely if you've judged your overtaking correctly then you won't be exposed to danger?!
Overtakers, what reaction? - sierraman
'I wouldn't be at all surprised to find a small but measurable proportion of the driving population think that overtaking where you cross into an opposing lane is illegal,'

BRAKE ran a campaign to make overtaking illegal a couple of years ago,it does not take a lot of thought (from competent drivers that is)to realise the problems such legislation would throw up.
Overtakers, what reaction? - Demon
No-one hates dangerous overtakers more than myself - the kind who overtake on a bend on a single carriageway not legislating for the fact that they are not the only idiot on the road and there could be some chump tearing from the opposite direction doing a ton. However there seems to be a huge number of drivers on the road who spend more time looking for and pointing out other people's mistakes, or what they deem to be mistakes, so they've got an excuse to flash their lights or test their horn, rather than concentrating on their own driving. In my opinion, if the driver coming in the opposite direction has time to flash you 15 times, and you've got time to go through the thought processes and actions required to flick them the bird before they've passed, then it was all just a fuss about nothing.