1995 1.6LX Advise on solving coolant loss - njwatts
I just acquired a 1995 Primera 1.6LX which has done 185K (ugggh) but looks immaculate & still drives well.

The previous owner (from 70K onward, very hands-on) experienced coolant loss & couldn't find why, so used Wondarweld which has so far fixed it. The car has been running for a couple of months (i.e. thousands of miles) without a thermostat, because he wanted to make sure the magic potion got evenly mixed throughout the cooling system. This means no anti-freeze/anticorrosive coolant during that time!!

So I have this car and wish to clean out the cooling system (i.e. drain, refill with pure water, run briefly & drain again to flush away any gunk) then refil with antifreeze & fit new thermostat before autumn sets in.

Any comments on this problem and how to move forward would be appreciated.

1995 1.6LX Advise on solving coolant loss - nev666
In my experience, once you remove the sealant you will shortly have the leak back. Best thing is to drain the system fill with fluid and wait for the leak to appear and remedy that. It is the only way with leaks, they have to be cured anything else is a get you home temporary measure at best.
1995 1.6LX Advise on solving coolant loss - Collos25
You need to put the thermostat back it must be running like a dog without it.
You need to put the thermostat back it must be running like a dog without
it.

Runs real nice w/o thermostat!!
I will drain & fill with pure water (run the engine for a while) drain again & refill with coolant this coming weekend. Then fingers crossed the leak stays away.

Nick.
You cannot test correctly for a leak because the system is not getting fully pressurised without the thermostat,if you ask me this is probably hiding the leak.
In fact thinking about it the rad is probably choked up and with the stat in it will overheat and the coolant loss is in fact steam coming out of the pressure release.
In fact thinking about it the rad is probably choked up and with the stat
in it will overheat and the coolant loss is in fact steam coming out of
the pressure release.

If the original leak was as simple as a rad problem that would be fine; it's a head-gasket or something like that worries me.

Once I refill coolant and thermostat what are the things to look for which would suggest the problem has resurfaced? (I guess watch temp. guage & coolant level in overflow and rad.)

Nick.
1995 1.6LX Advise on solving coolant loss - jase1
Runs real nice w/o thermostat!!

The old GA engines were very smooth runners, and tolerant of abuse like this, so it's probably just hiding its pain really well.

This engine in particular should be almost completely silent at idle when warm; you'll only hear the belts.
In my experience once you remove the sealant you will shortly have the leak back.
Best thing is to drain the system fill with fluid and wait for the leak
to appear and remedy that. It is the only way with leaks they have to
be cured anything else is a get you home temporary measure at best.

You are right - as soon as the antifreeze went back a leak developed which turned out to be faulty/worn water-pump. £200 at the local Nissan dealership aaaaaahhhhh.
1995 1.6LX Advise on solving coolant loss - jase1
Why would you go to a main dealer for a 13-year-old car?

It's a Nissan -- which means any backstreet with a decent spanner set can fix a fault like this with minimal effort.

The part is £25 -- so at £35/hour this should have cost no more than a ton to put right.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/09/2008 at 01:04